Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

What's your opinion of Brooklyn Black Ops?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jayhoop, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Thickfreakness

It's $25 in NY and IMHO, not at all worth it. I'd rather buy 3 four packs of BCS. It does age nicely tho. If you can hang onto it for 3 years, then you'll have something nice!

2. paulys55

Beer Trader

I tried it once 2 or 3 years ago and thought it was decent but I wasn't a huge fan of the champagne yeast element. I through one in the cellar to see what a few years would do to it. Anyone have any thoughts on 2 to 3 year aged Black Ops?

3. axeman9182

Beer Trader

I'm not much of a fan of it fresh (at least in bottles, it is nice fresh on cask though). After it's been sitting a year though it starts turning into something really nice. My cousin opened a bottle of the 09 batch on Christmas Eve that I thought was doing very well, and I plan on doing an 08-12 vertical some time in the next few months.

4. jupe13

it's like watered down BCBS. Way too thin for me.

5. Cenosillicaphobe

I bought a couple of bottles just before Christmas...never got to it on NYE like I planned...and didn't particularly feel like cracking it at random...so in the cellar they sit.

6. Jparkanzky

You bought a bottle..... I'm wonder what YOU think of it?

paulys55 likes this.
  7. NickyDee21

Beer Trader

I still have a 2011 and a 2009. Drank both of my 2010s and my other 2011. Think it's a pretty tasty beer, but like others said, def a different BA taste.

8. beerinmaine

This thread seems to be dominated by the non-fans of Black Ops, so far. For each thread full of people who hate it, there's a thread full of people who love it. Like any high-profile beer, it tends to be polarizing. I don't understand why. Perhaps because it's different from the standard model of bourbon barrel imperial stouts, perhaps because it's fairly available, not an incredible whale.

Personally, I like it. I like it even more with a couple years on it. We shared an '09 among some serious beer geeks on New Years, and I heard no complaints. I know a number of brewers who love the stuff. It's certainly a good beer, and you may like it. Or not.

As to price...it's normally priced around $20. If you're seeing it at $30 or $40 or more, your store is trying to rip you off. Blame them, not the beer.

Crookdrain likes this.
  9. koopa

Beer Trader

10. fujindemon74

Cost not justified...by me in my area.
    There's no shop anywhere near me selling Black Ops for $20.
    Almost everything of note is substantially more expensive here in SE PA compared to other areas of the country.
    At least we don't have silly %abv limits like some other states though.

Had a choice between Black Ops & FW 16th today (basically no limit of each)...and did not hesitate to went with 2 FW 16th without hesitation. Cheaper & without a doubt will be enjoyed more by me.

Also, Fruet was $$$ & totally worth the cost of admission.
    Like anyone cares about my opinion.

11. hoptualBrew

Beer Trader

I liked it a lot, thought the barrel character was awesome. Only downfall was the cost.. I've had much better barrel aged beers for much less.

12. cbeer88

I think it's extremely subpar for the style, and very overpriced. Thin, boozy... it's all been said. At $20 I would consider it too much - it should be about a $12 beer. For the $25+ it often goes for, it shocks me that it doesn't sit for very long.

13. Jaru1026

Beer Trader

I really disliked this beer, because of the champagne yeast. It gave me a terrible stomach ache. I have one more bottle that I plan to sit on for a long while. I am hoping that matures into some thing that I would enjoy drinking!

14. UCLABrewN84

I liked it the one time I had it.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe