When describing hops or IPAs, what does "dank" mean?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by markdrinksbeer, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Picked up some hop ranch today and the guy working the aisle said "oh that one is great, really dank ipa".

I replied "oh, good" and didn't really want to ask him what exactly that meant. So, I am asking you folks.
    Is it a reference to the smell of marijuana?

2. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (157) Mar 14, 2007 California

Yes

thebeers, charlzm, eppCOS and 21 others like this.
  3. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,647) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

You got it.

Hop Ranch wasn't dank to me. For dank you want Deviant Dale's or Ruthless Rye. I'm sure there are others, but those two are the first that come to mind.

19etz55, charlzm, SFACRKnight and 6 others like this.
  4. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,767) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

To me it means musty, wet, funky, green, fresh. I'm sure to many it means marijuana.

BossMD, 19etz55, Tdizzle and 25 others like this.
  5. markdrinksbeer

I don't really know what I want. I am just beginning to enjoy IPA's and thought I would try hop ranch. I would lean toward a fruity/citrusy profile over piny/resiny/bitter profile, but since taste is so subjective, a fruit bomb to one person might be a pine bomb to another.

RicheeD likes this.
  6. anticipation23

anticipation23 Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Wisconsin

Refers to hops/beer that have a fuel-y, lemon-lime sort of sour funk. Sometimes it can smell like rotting papaya or even B.O. Only a very specific subset of cannabis sativa smells "dank" in the parlance that beer nerds use it, but the term has also become synonymous with anything high quality in the weed world regardless of smell. The two definitions are used interchangeably pretty much.

19etz55, letsgomets86, Smidge and 4 others like this.
  7. TongoRad

Society Trader

To me, the Hop Ranch definitely started out pretty piney but there was also enough tropical fruit backing it up (kind of reminded me of a can of guava nectar). Way into the second bottle a hint of sweaty/cat pee started to show up in the background.

Dirt Wolf might be more in your ballpark, but I'd give Hop Ranch a go just to see what it's like. It's definitely a quality beer (despite the sweat :wink:).

StubbyMenstrual, 19etz55 and TEdubbaD like this.
  8. markdrinksbeer

wow, you've sold me on the cat pee. Can't wait to try it tonight. ha ha ha

StubbyMenstrual, mickyge and TongoRad like this.
  9. TongoRad

Society Trader

It's a common enough descriptor for certain hops these days. Some people seem to dig it.

10. markdrinksbeer

I hate to ask this, but why on earth would anything associated with cat pee be desireable? Wondering if I should have picked up some Double Jack instead...

ssam, dennis3951, whiskey and 2 others like this.
  11. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

At the risk of being vilified and downright flamed online, I actually kinda like "cat pee" in certain beers. I've even been known to intentionally "skunk" Euro pale lagers. Now, when my kitty-cats get out of line, I banish them to parts unknown. Quite the conundrum.

12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,150) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“ I hate to ask this, but why on earth would anything associated with cat pee be desireable?”

Good question. I homebrewed an all Citra hopped IPA a couple of years ago. Citra tastes like tropical fruit to me but some people pick up cat pee from Citra. I had two friends drink my homebrewed Citra IPA and to my surprise (at that time) they both remarked that they smelled/tasted cat pee. To my even greater surprise they asked for a second Citra IPA.

Below is something I posted yesterday in another thread:

“For example, when a beer has Citra I smell cat pee predominantly…”
    Citra hops are relatively high in a compound called 4MMP. Some folks (allegedly a majority of women) perceive 4MMP as cat pee. For my palate, Citra has an aroma/flavor of tropical fruits.”

On the topic of Hop Ranch, dank is the dominant aroma/flavor in that beer for my palate. I do also perceive some fruity/citrusy flavors but they are in the background for me.

Everybody has a different palate and will pick out different aromas/flavors in the same beer.

Cheers!

13. TongoRad

Society Trader

Sorry for putting the thought in your head, but like I said, it was very faint for me and didn't even show up during the first glass.

There is a this quote in praise of Hopslam "it smells like your cat ate your weed and peed on your Christmas tree"- so some people really do like it.

14. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (611) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

^this

RyanOooh likes this.
  15. Troville1990

Troville1990 Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Illinois

The more I post on these forums the more this becomes clear to me. Recently I've seen both Dirt Wolf and Stone Enjoy By described as having significant tropical fruit components, but I didn't get anything but pine out of either one; the first time I tried Enjoy By it was what I imagined licking a Christmas tree might be like.

As far as dank beers go, Two Brothers Night Cat definitely fits the bill.

16. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,310) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

Dank is what a serial killers basement smells like. Uh, er, so I've been told.

17. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,454) Dec 2, 2009 New York

dank is the pungent, greenhouse smell of marijuana and weed.

note, the (formerly?) more common use, like "dank dungeon" means a very moist, murky, moldy forgotten dungeon. "disagreeably damp, musty, and typically cold."

18. RicheeD

RicheeD Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2012 Pennsylvania

I loved Hop Ranch but I am partial to what Victory does with hops. I am slowly going through a case so we'll see how much cat pee I am tasting by the end. The reviews for Hop Ranch surprised me in that a lot of folks were reporting that "dank" or onion smell but I found it to be like a tropical fruit (like Passion fruit) smell. I think I get what they are saying though. Different palates and noses pick up different things.
    Cat Pee is an interesting way of describing IPAs and it kinda makes me think about an episode of South Park if you know what I mean. :wink:

19. Texasfan549

Texasfan549 Poo-Bah (2,471) Feb 26, 2011 Texas
    Trader

How do so many people know what cat pee smells and or tastes like?

ssam, dennis3951 and nlethbridge like this.
  20. kingofhop

I ain't smelt "dank" since Panama Red was knee-high to a grasshopper and you got a matchbox full of Primo for a cool 40 bucks.

21. markdrinksbeer

Cat owners? I doubt anyone has tasted cat pee, but most people have probably smelled it.

22. Profchaos20

Profchaos20 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2012 Pennsylvania

This is a great explanation.

Hop Ranch seems to be one of those beers that people are getting very different aromas and flavors from. I too find Citra hops to be all grapefruit and tropical but I also got the same experience from hop ranch except more fruity and tropical. I tend to get the cat pee aroma from Simcoe hops but I know just as many people get citrus and tropical flavors from that. So to the OP, you really don't know until you try it for yourself.

ChipMurray likes this.
  23. markdrinksbeer

I'll be enjoying it this evening while watching the Pats play beat the Colts.

mconn13 and Profchaos20 like this.
  24. Texasfan549

Trader

True, I shouldn't have thought the smell part was too weird. Although I've had a dog my whole life and honestly don't know what dog pee smells like.

luisfrancisco likes this.
  25. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (799) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

Seems like everyone has a completely different idea of what dank means. .. ha.

mpmcguire11 likes this.
  26. MarcWP

MarcWP Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Arizona

Hops are beautiful. Definitely a big difference between citrus, piney, dank (weed), earthy, spicy, floral, tropical fruit, white grape, etc. etc. characteristics. And when you combine hops, the spectrum reaches infinitude.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  27. alexanf

alexanf Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2012 Mississippi

Personally, Stone Enjoy By is the perfect example of a dank IPA.

28. cjoc83

cjoc83 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania

I usually use the term "dank" to describe the aroma of a beer... If it has a particularly potent aroma (usually a resinous one, akin to really good, heady weed) I'll describe it as "dank". Dank is kind of a broad term, though... It can also be used to describe a fruity IPA. For instance, Hop Ranch is somewhat dank to me in aroma, but I mostly get tropical/citrus fruit in the taste. And I definitely do not understand the "cat pee" descriptor... I love Citra, I get big tropical fruits from it. The only hop qualities I don't find appealing are the onion/garlic kind, which I get in Hop Stoopid and Gubna.

29. ChipMurray

ChipMurray Disciple (364) May 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

Hard pressed to get 'dank' from Hop Ranch. To me, it's a full on tropical fruit, juicy lemon assault on the senses. A remarkably well hidden 9% ABV too.
    Dank is that piney/resiny smell from marijuana that's found in Simcoe, Citra, etc. Not from the Mosaic and Azacca in Hop Ranch. A really beautiful beer, btw. ^^

afroskully and utopiajane like this.
  30. bcerv-ca

bcerv-ca Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2013 California

Cheesin'

31. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,150) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“Hard pressed to get 'dank' from Hop Ranch.” That is because that is not how your palate/brain processes the aromas/flavors of Hop Ranch.

“Not from the Mosaic and Azacca in Hop Ranch.” Not true, I get BIG TIME dank from Hop Ranch and a number of other BAs do as well.

One mo’ time: We all have different palates and we all perceive aromas/flavors in different ways.

Cheers!

machalel, cjoc83 and RicheeD like this.
  32. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (157) Mar 14, 2007 California

Grapefruit

33. RicheeD

RicheeD Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2012 Pennsylvania

Cheesin'.
    Sounds like a great name for a dank IPA. One of the Colorado breweries should run with this.

swolepeer, beerdedking and bcerv-ca like this.
  34. MrDave

MrDave Disciple (385) Jan 23, 2013 California
    Trader

I find myself using it whenever the delicious pungency of Simcoe is present. Haven't had Hop Ranch yet, so I'm thinking this guy just meant "good."

raffels, CalgaryFMC and ChipMurray like this.
  35. Beerswag

Beerswag Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2013 California

"Dank" is Stank!!

spicoli00 and beerdedking like this.
  36. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

To me... oniony, garlicy, vegetal. And yeah weed.

37. Texasfan549

Trader

Hey man, we are brothers in beer! I'm slowly becoming more fond of Oklahoma with Prairie and now F5 in cans! Keep pumping them out!

38. kingofhop

Y'all have very good beer too. I'm very fond of Southern Star Pine Belt Ale. Superb stuff.

39. CalgaryFMC

CalgaryFMC Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2013 Alberta (Canada)

The cat pee smell is legit ... Smells like ammonia or that cough syrup Buckley's mixture, which contains pine extract and ammonium carbonate. Not wonderful in quantity but adds character in relatively small amounts.

I tend to use "dank" to refer to both marijuana resin and rotten tropical smells/tastes.

40. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,619) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Agreed with D.D. I love Columbus hops. So earthy and spicy. But yes Columbus and Simcoe hops smell like Marijuana.

TongoRad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.