Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

when did Newport Storm get so good?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Psychmusic, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Psychmusic

Beer Trader

Over the past few months I've noticed that Newport Storms cyclone series has gotten really phenomenal. Vlad their imperial stout is a damn decent beer for the price, and stands up to most of mygo tos like ten fiddy and old raspy. Today I had a Will their new (d)IPA. Its incredibly good. A pungent hop kick that struck me as very good IPA even After a glass of Enjoy By.

Did something change over there? I've done their tour and tasting four or five times now, and never been even slightly impressed by their beers, but these have really wowed me. Did they get a new brewer? New management?

2. jbertsch

Haven't heard of any management change.

I've had just 4 of their beers, 2 hits and 2 misses for me. I was quite fond of their Ryan ale. And I thought their blueberry beer was solid....for a blueberry beer, that is.

I'll have to give Vlad a try.

3. cbeer88

Well, it's pretty hard to screw up an imperial stout. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and seek out Will. Otherwise I've really sworn off Newport Storm - just way too many bad-to-blah beers.

Providence likes this.
  4. Patrick

I haven't bought a bottle that didn't have diacetyl, so I don't purchase the beer anymore. If that's gone maybe I'll give them another shot.

5. Psychmusic

Beer Trader

I totally agree... before these two I'd never had anything from them that was worth any amount of money.

6. Hokies

Derrick is strictly brewing these days and no longer selling. So I imagine the quality control has gotten a lot better with him being in the brew house more.

7. Providence

I should give them another try. I wrote them off a while back because everything I got was underwhelming. However, the RI beer scene is really important to me so if they are stepping it up, I want to support that.

ISO: Vlad

amp138 and Psychmusic like this.
  8. Pegli

I went out on a limb and picked up some Will...pretty darn tasty and the best Newport Storm I've had by a Loooonnnngg shot.

9. amp138

I went to a vertical of their annual releases a few months ago. Solid stuff, great experience. Their most recent annual release was intense, a habanero/chipotle beer.

10. MVP09

Beer Trader

Had Will yes pungent resiny IPA. Good beer for the price. Vlad was good too. Definitely worth picking up the Cyclobe Series for a low priced quality beer night

11. thechrislife

Beer Trader

Vlad is awesome.

The last two annual releases have both been really good as well.

Gonna have to pick up some Will and check it out.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe