Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

When is New Holland's Dragon's Milk Triple-Mashed Bourbon Barrel Stout released?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by theonegman, Aug 14, 2016.

1. theonegman

theonegman Initiate (129) Apr 11, 2016 Michigan

just was thinking about dragons milk triple mash. Do ya guys know when this beer might come out?

2. Breaking_Beard

Breaking_Beard Initiate (67) Oct 17, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

New Holland has been releasing them about once per quarter, no triple mash this year yet. The next one is supposed to be aged in rum barrels with coconut.

3. theonegman

Oh that sounds good. Hopefully within the next few months.

4. BrandonK

BrandonK Initiate (39) Jul 15, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I just opened my bottle from last year and it had a bottle date of 10/08/15. BTW it was outstanding! Never had barrel aged dark lord but I'd imagine it's pretty close to this one.

I remember last year they released a bunch of variants all at once and triple mash was one of those. So maybe they'll do the same this year. Hopefully that rum/coconut awesomeness will be one as well.

5. azurel

azurel Disciple (348) May 27, 2016 Michigan
    Subscriber Beer Trader

According to the release schedule the next Dragons milk reserve should be released in October....I haven't seen anything as to what it will be....On the schedule it doesn't say specifically....But rum barrels and coconut sounds pretty damn good....Dragons Milk is the best....wish I would have stocked up more on the coffee and chocolate reserve.

6. Jmorey

Jmorey Disciple (321) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

The first time they did 4 of the variants at once (chili, raspberry, choco coffee, triple mash), which made for really small amounts available. Now they are doing full runs of specific ones. So I kind of hope they don't go back to the first way, it was just too hard to get a good amount of them. Choco coffee was a LOT more abundant when they ran it again. Although I don't think I even bought any the second time, cellar was full.

That run of the 4 was the first time they did them in 12oz. Before that they had 2 runs in bombers, one was Chili and the other was Raspberry. Then they switched it to the 12oz format.

Triple mash has been the best (in my opinion) out of all of them, but there might be an unknown reason why they can't do a bigger run of it. Just my speculation there, but they know it was the most popular of the options. I think triple mash is the only one that really holds its own against the bigger bourbon barrel beers. Vanilla Chai and Raspberry Lemon have been letdowns. Experimentation is great, but not to the point of novelty.

Rum coconut does sound good, so I hope it stands out.

7. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (274) May 11, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

It did have all the right flavors but suffered a little, like all DM, from a lack of substantial body. It always seems like they are thin, or propped up artificially through carbonation. I know its just personal preference, but with beers like that, I like them thick like motor oil.

Sounds like a potential winner.

westlaunboy likes this.
  8. Jmorey

Beer Trader

Totally agree. They lack that body for sure. DM was my gateway to big stouts and holds a special spot for me. Triple mash was able to contend with some of the bigger guys on flavor but still thin. Sadly when the price of those comes in around 4.50+ a bottle they are getting in the realm that they need to work on that.

Rum coconut could be amazing. Love the coconut flavor in a stout. As long as it is not as overbearing as that vanilla chai. Woof.

9. moshea

moshea Devotee (426) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Wow, to each their own. I found it awful, yet drank the whole bloody thing. I woke up with a huge head ache.

I quit drinking for a couple of months after Triple Mash and have completely lost my taste for BBA Stouts.

Triple Mash broke me

Cbusssted likes this.
  10. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Haha, I trust you are joking?

moshea likes this.
  11. moshea

moshea Devotee (426) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Nope.

Cbusssted likes this.
  12. MadLatvian

MadLatvian Aspirant (245) Feb 8, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Totally agree, though not terrible they are on the thin side. I actually liked the raspberry but didn't like the lemon raspberry as much.

13. Jmorey

Beer Trader

I still have a bomber of raspberry I have neglected for too long.

14. Cbusssted

Cbusssted Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2012 Ohio

I agree. Not to be a poopy hater, but that stuff is wicked. Waaaaaay too sweet. Poured mine out.

15. darktain

darktain Aspirant (225) Dec 1, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Agreed...way to sweet, I couldn't make it through the whole thing, same with the Raspberry. Really liked the chai and the coffee though.

Cbusssted likes this.
  16. croush

croush Zealot (578) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'm looking forward to Triple Mashed, as I also thought it was the best of the series. I liked the Coffee/Chocolate quite a bit, and thought the Raspberry was OK - didn't think there was much raspberry flavor. I haven't tried Vanilla Chai or Raspberry Lemon, and couldn't understand why they put lemon in the raspberry version this year.

17. Cbusssted

Cbusssted Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2012 Ohio

The Raspberry Lemon version is way better than the Triple Mash. As is Vanilla Chai. Other things that are better than Triple Mash include used motor oil, sewage runoff, Bell's Batch 10,000 and Black Xantus.

18. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

Atleast to my taste there isn't a lot of lemon that comes across....So far I have enjoyed all of them....I missed the Triple mashed though....So would be up for trying it.

19. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Interesting, the Triple Mash reminded me of a chocolate covered caramel. The Vanilla Chai was gross and artificial tasting.

Jmorey likes this.
  20. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Aspirant (206) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Really wide range of responses here. Personally, I thought Triple Mash was awfully boozy with overpowering alcohol heat, especially for how thin it is. I think I would have really enjoyed it if it'd had the body/richness to support the alcohol. I'm hoping that a little age will take the edge off my remaining bottles.

The raspberry (both '14 & '15) was simultaneously cloying and medicinal. Coffee/chocolate was an absolute winner, and I really liked Vanilla Chai on tap. I just uncovered a 4-pack of it (that I don't even remember buying) while going through some moving boxes, so it'll be interesting to see how the bottles compare.

21. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (9,234) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Supporter Beer Trader

Bumping this thread because it got label approval today. If you thought last year was boozy, 17% this year. I still have a bottle of last year, will probably drink it this weekend for the holiday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

szmnnl99, Gemini6, azurel and 5 others like this.
  22. croush

croush Zealot (578) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Wow, 17%. That is pretty crazy.

23. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (76) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I love that pairing description. "The stinkiest cheese..." Lol.

24. theonegman

When is this coming out??

25. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (9,234) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Supporter Beer Trader

That was TTB label approval today, so Feb-March is a safe bet.

26. theonegman

Sounds fantastic. Even boozier dragons milk. Count me in

landrewg likes this.
  27. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Devotee (435) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

You know, I really don't care for the whole "adjunct" trend. However, DM is such a staple for me that I really kind of enjoy these, even though I may not find them all totally enjoyable. DM is an all year offering and is always readily available, so why not experiment? It keeps me buying a beer that I might normally pass on due to my over-familiarity with it.

17% is a bit crazy. Glad they scrapped the 22oz format after the first batch of chiles and raspberry!

28. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Aspirant (207) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I can't wait for the Triple Mash! I thought it was their best variant yet. To each their own. 17% seems like a train wreck waiting to happen though, but we will see.

landrewg, WI-Beer-Man and JohnnyHopps like this.
  29. theonegman

Looks like early January.

30. TheKlevin

TheKlevin Devotee (433) Aug 6, 2014 Michigan
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It's being released in both pubs on January 7th. 1 case limit.

landrewg likes this.
  31. azurel

Subscriber Beer Trader

I have tried and enjoyed most of them but missed this triple mash the first time it was around...will for sure be looking for it.... 17% is pretty hefty...

landrewg and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  32. jaybags

jaybags Aspirant (258) Mar 16, 2012 Michigan

those pairings are rather amusing

landrewg likes this.
  33. landrewg

landrewg Initiate (185) Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Sorry to thread jack but has anyone seen Pilgrim's Dole in SE Mich?

34. EvilMidnightBomber

EvilMidnightBomber Initiate (179) Feb 12, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Is this getting wider distro like the other limited releases have had?

landrewg likes this.
  35. Sparty1224

Sparty1224 Devotee (419) Jun 18, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Pretty surprised at the varying opinions on the DM variants. I HATED Triple Mash, ugh. So boozy and overpowering. LOVED Vanilla Chai, that's my favorite. Everything else is kinda meh, in between. Got a couple Coconut Rum's in the fridge though, jury still out.

36. flat_lander

flat_lander Aspirant (233) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It's a coconut bomb through and through. I know that's not a revelation, but seriously, it's a lot of coconut. And I like coconut beers. I haven't had Triple Mash yet, but will be looking for it. My favorite has been the Coffee & Chocolate. I could do without having Vanilla Chai or Raspberry & Lemon again. Didn't dislike them, just kinda "meh" like you said.

37. Jonl0424

Jonl0424 Initiate (134) May 23, 2015 Michigan

Should be this week

landrewg likes this.
  38. Blutz

Blutz Initiate (158) Mar 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Even though New Holland has been promoting the beer since the end of November, it was finally released in Ann Arbor a couple days ago. Should be everywhere by now.

landrewg likes this.
  39. theonegman

Anyone have any triple mashed info yet? I see it will be released at the pub on the 8th. Just wondering when this will hit stores.

Jason1221 likes this.
  40. theonegman

Has anyone tried this over the weekend. It's getting some good ratings.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.