Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

When to Crack Open a St. Bernardus ABT 12?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by kelvarnsen, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kelvarnsen

kelvarnsen Nov 30, 2011 Ontario (Canada)

I have a bottle of Bernardus 12 that I bought either in December 2010 or January 2011 that I have kept basically in my basement crawlspace since then. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on when a good amount of time to wait before opening it would be. I was going to drink it over Christmas, but I had a super bad cold between Christmas and New Years so I didn't want to waste it. Now I have it and I don't want to just drink it any old night. Any ideas how long to age that beer for it to taste best?
  2. bum732

bum732 Feb 18, 2008 Lesotho

dude, just fucking drink it. It's St. Bernardus 12.
  3. Nuggethops

Nuggethops Jun 7, 2010 New Hampshire

St bernardus can handle age and is great fresher too. In order to find out when you prefer it best you will have to experiment. Luckily this is a beer that can be obtained easily. Drink the one you have now and a fresher vintage you can buy at the store than cellar a bunch of them and try then at different ages until you figure out when you like it best then you can purchase bottles and age them until they are just where you like them best. That's what cellaring is all about
  4. kelvarnsen

kelvarnsen Nov 30, 2011 Ontario (Canada)

I like your idea, unfortunatly I live in Ontario, and the Bernardus 12 was only brought into our Government run liquor store last year as part of a seasonal promotion. I bought 2, one I drank shortly after buying it and the one in my basement. Getting more isn't as easy as I wish it was.
  5. HugoTheSavant

HugoTheSavant May 26, 2011 Ontario (Canada)

I'm such a fool, I was completely unaware of the St. Bernardus Abt 12 when it was in the LCBO. I thought Fin Du Monde was good enough for me (and while it's still amazing, I lost the opportunity to try another legendary beer). :oops:
  6. stevefinny

stevefinny Aug 28, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

seriously drink it!!!
  7. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Aug 3, 2011 Texas

I find I like it after about a year. I've had it with 6 months on it and the alcohol heat overwhelms some of the other subtleties.
  8. bushbeer75

bushbeer75 Aug 23, 2006 Michigan

THANKS for asking the question kelvarnsen. I have a bottle with a bottled on date of 7/8/2010 that I just purchased so I am interested in everyones comments...oh, I know cellaring is subjective.
  9. Devi0us

Devi0us May 3, 2011 California

Drink that shit...need more? Message me and we can work something out...it's that EASY!!!

10. Brew33

Brew33 Oct 24, 2007 Ohio
    Beer Trader

If you drank one fresh, I'd sit on it..... for quite a while. I like that beer with some age and oxidation. Fresh it's over carbonated and not very good imo. With 5 years, it's a totally different animal.
    Photekut likes this.
  11. WhatTheAle1973

WhatTheAle1973 Mar 29, 2012 Virginia

Where do I find the date my bottles was bottleld on? New entry to good beer world and this is so far my favorite by far.
    The one I have has the date of 29.04.16 on the metal.
  12. JohnnyTightLips

JohnnyTightLips May 30, 2009 Illinois

Think its 4/29/11 as some European brewers add 5 years from the actual bottling date.
  13. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

I'd drink it the moment you are in the mood for a quad. You can age The Abbot if you want to (there's certainly no harm), but it is completely unnecessary. That beer is of-the-charts good when it's fresh. I have to drive 40 miles to buy it and when I do, I buy several bottles of it. When I'm out, it's time for another 40 mile drive. It never sits in my cellar longer than 6 months.

One thing though. When you do open it, I strongly suggest you do it over the sink.
  14. david131

david131 Apr 23, 2006 Maryland

Last night I opened a bottle I bought in the summer of 2007. It was absolutely phenomenal. No signs of oxidation.
  15. TK5150

TK5150 Mar 17, 2008 Maine

glad to hear this...I bought 2 750's back in December 2007, drank one, and decided to cellar the other for 5 years. i was planning on opening it for Christmas this year...this cements my plans.

also, to add to the thread...I think Abt 12 improves significantly in just one year. it's a nice beer even for short-term cellaring IMO.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!