When traveling to other states...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mehinaman, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yargamo

Yargamo Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2015 New York

Some of the best beers I have had were had alone in hotel rooms on work trips to various parts of the country.

2. chcfan

chcfan Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2008 California

I will go out of my for things, but I am with you on going to good beer bars. I get wanting to go to breweries, but if you hit a good bar you can get a lot more of variety of what's available locally. I prefer a good mix of breweries and beer bars when possible.

yemenmocha likes this.
  3. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (3,302) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

So true! My wife is great in this regard. We drove from MD to the Rochester area to visit her family over the weekend and managed to hit up 3 brewpubs and a bottle shop along the way. Of course if it were 100% up to me there were a few additional stops that could have been made...but I consider the trip a success, beer-wise.

sdterp and SteveB24 like this.
  4. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Poo-Bah (1,948) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Society

We seek out breweries and bottle shops in our travels quite a bit. We always bring our Yeti too.

VABA likes this.
  5. DaverCS

DaverCS Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2014 Arizona

I check to see what great breweries are local and bottling. If I cant stop by all the ones I want to try, then I will swing by a good local bottle shop and pick up a variety of different things to bring back/ drink at the hotel. After a long day, sometimes I don't want to be so social, so I just go back to the hotel and sip on some chilled local stuff while relaxing. So that's a yes from me.

6. CMiesen

CMiesen Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2015 California

Always try local brews when I travel but am in the just drink at the hotel due to never checking a bag at the airport. I am like George Clooney in the movie Up In The Air. When I drive I come home with way too many and spend way too much on beer. Sometimes you run into a store with Parabola or other special beer just sitting on the shelf and can't stop yourself.

Mehinaman likes this.
  7. Braddaniell

Braddaniell Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2015 Georgia

Be sure you hit up Hop City. They have an extensive beer selection and regularly post updates on their Twitter feed. In addition to the Brick Store, check out The Porter Beer Bar as well. Awesome place with good food and a massive beer list. Cheers.

Mehinaman likes this.
  8. Mehinaman

Mehinaman Zealot (515) May 16, 2015 Washington
    Trader

All great suggestions. Thanks man

LehighAce06 likes this.
  9. Mehinaman

Mehinaman Zealot (515) May 16, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Great! Will do, thanks

10. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Huh? So how do you eat?

11. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Champion (800) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

He raids community gardens and hunts and traps pigeons and squirrels. I think it's called "urban foraging" :rolling_eyes:

otispdriftwood likes this.
  12. DerekCarruth

DerekCarruth Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Georgia

I go to the local breweries and bottle shops. Always nice finding stuff that I can't find here in Atlanta (and there are quite a few). I usually check a bag and tightly pack it. I've done it 4-5 times and haven't had any breakage.

Enjoy your trip to Atlanta. The beer scene here has just improved as of July 1, as you can now go to the brewery and actually leave with up to 6 of their beers.

Derek

13. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,883) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

with my mouth

14. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,180) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

Pretty much just highly-rated bars/eateries and breweries. I do hit the very occasional bottle shop, but rarely.

15. mabermud

mabermud Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2006 Washington

When travelling to other states, drink local beer :slight_smile:

16. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Ha. Funny.

17. pluchar

pluchar Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois

Just came back from Portland and shipped myself a 50 lbs box home. No worries of turbulence or TSA that way.

18. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (5,624) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

I always look for bottle shops. I love visiting local breweries but then you might only get 4-6 choices in a flight. The local beer store might offer a whole lot more than that. Plus you can pick up a few to enjoy in your hotel room

19. 1ale_man

1ale_man Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2015 Texas

Does he drink much beer?:slight_smile:

cbcrunch likes this.
  20. FenderOffset238

FenderOffset238 Initiate (0) May 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

My travels are typically motivated by brewery stops, and bottle shops are routine.... as many as the girlfriend will tolerate.
    Hey, it keeps us traveling - and weeds out the gfs that aren't "keepers."

21. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Meyvn (1,229) Feb 6, 2007 Florida
    Trader

The trick to checking bottles in your baggage is to wrap in clothes ,make sure they are cushioned all around, and there is no movement in the suitcase. I usually put extra padding on both top and bottom of the suitcase.

If you do check a box, a word of caution...most airlines will not ask what is in the box. If they do, don't say beer. Southwest asked one time and my wife said beer. The agent told me it was illegal unless we bought these inflatable bags from her for $5 a pop. I told her I had just transported the beer from Cali last week and TSA left their calling card in my suitcase, so it was not against their rules. She would not let my mother in law check the beer unless she bought the bags.

22. Rothobinide

Rothobinide Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2014 California

I travel a fair amount and I always do some homework on the local breweries where I'm heading. I also like to consult lists of the "best" beer bars, like the ones that Thrillest and Draft Magazine compile. I've brought bottles home in checked luggage on many occasions. I use bubble wrap, duct tape and ziplock bags. The ziplock bags are a failsafe against any leaking into my clothing... which I have had happen in the past.

23. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,700) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Love finding bottle shops while traveling. Never know what might turn up. It's like treasure hunting :-)

Lonestar9 likes this.
  24. Lonestar9

Lonestar9 Initiate (170) Apr 27, 2008 South Carolina

I actually bought most of my beers in Boulder at liquor mart. Also some in Molly's I think in Lakewood. I did buy some bottles at crooked staves in downtown. Epic brewery has bottles to go as well

25. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,983) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I am learning as I go, but I find the place ratings invaluable. In Tulsa this past weekend, I had scoped out the places I wanted to go, but it just didn't work out. While sitting in the Uhaul waiting for my daughter to come out of Target I spied one of the bottle shops on my about to be defunct list. I texted my daughter and jumped out of the truck and stepped into a local beer paradise. I hobbled out with a case of beer and was quite happy. Have since texted my daughter back with more WANTS. Also as someone mentioned, post in the local spaces when you are traveling and do an inperson trade, did this while passing thru Louisiana heading to Florida and got some great beer (thanks again Fister)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.