When was the last time you took a break from craft beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RBassSFHOPit2ME, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rozzom

rozzom Champion (878) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I've tried this too. The problem is that suddenly you become extra diligent about researching/attending special events/releases/occasions - haha

Whatdyisit likes this.
  2. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Crusader (772) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

Poor college student here...I take unavoidable breaks every time my disposable income runs out. These beerless periods can be anywhere from a few days to over a month. It's nice though, because I'm never saturating myself with beer, and I'm always able to approach that next beer with renewed appreciation.

3. Flibber

Flibber Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 England

From craft beer? Well, technically I guess whenever I have a macro beer. I had Staropramen a couple of nights last week.

4. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

I havent had one since lunch.

5. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,379) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I usually only drink on the weekends, so every week, I take a 5 day break and those beers I end up having over the weekend end up tasting delicious

DrStiffington likes this.
  6. mudbug

mudbug Defender (620) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

The two weeks I was dragooned on a cruise ship by my wife and friends. That aint gonna happen again!

Spikester and russpowell like this.
  7. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 New York

Every Monday I do

8. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Aspirant (224) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

I don't understand the question.

FanofHefe likes this.
  9. Javi_bobby

Javi_bobby Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 California

When i have no money$$$ it means its time for a break

10. czfreeman

czfreeman Initiate (0) May 22, 2007 California

I slept 7 hours last night

BT_Bobandy and KS1297 like this.
  11. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,459) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

I try to only drink a few beers a week, but i try to make them count. I never take a break longer than about a week.

12. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Deactivated

For the past two weeks I was in Italy and other than vino, it was Peroni.
    Glad to come back to a big box of 3F and Half Acre stuff!

13. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (4,631) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Last time I was on antibiotics - 7 days.

14. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,753) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

When I was sick.

15. tuka

tuka Initiate (178) Apr 17, 2012 New York

I take a break from beer when I get a bottle of nice single malt scotch.

BT_Bobandy likes this.
  16. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,940) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Two weeks ago I took five days off from alcohol.

Once in a while I just like to hit the reset button on my body for a short period of time. If you don't abuse alcohol, there is no reason that you cannot enjoy a drink or two every day. Moderation is key.

17. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

i drink craft when i'm taking a break from bmc. The only time i don't drink anything is the week before an important athletic endeavor.

18. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

A month in college without beer? Unacceptible.

Potatocrawler likes this.
  19. hmich176

hmich176 Initiate (173) Feb 17, 2013 Pennsylvania

I haven't specifically chosen to take a break, but I also don't drink beer on a day-to-day basis. I probably will at some point, though. I'd imagine it would help with some weight loss I'm trying to engage in.

20. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2006 Florida

Made the decision last night to give up beer and all alcohol until New Year's Eve. It's just been a bit too detrimental in the last few months to my health and fitness. Sucks, because I just bought 4 Stone Enjoy By 10/25's and I'm going to have to return them. Sad panda.

21. TheBaumer

TheBaumer Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2010 California

I can only drink for a two week period every other month. It sucks. I spend the six weeks leading up to it stockpiling and looking at beer on here, so sad.

22. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Each summer when I drink nothing but cheap eurolagers, gansett summer, and widmer beers. Sometimes crafty > craft.

23. Hanzo

Hanzo Savant (954) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

The most I will step away for is a couple days, or a few days if I am sick or something. I just can't avoid seeing new stuff come into the shops I go when they post about it on social media, so I will still make my weekly beer store trip. Plus organizing a tasting group keeps me pretty much neck deep in craft beer.

24. broodog

broodog Initiate (140) Jul 18, 2009 Illinois

25. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,160) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

1995, the Air Force sent me to S. Korea. Took months before I had all my homebrew supplies in country.

BT_Bobandy likes this.
  26. audioserf

audioserf Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Connecticut

For the most part I do my drinking Fridays and Saturdays. If I go out for a meal during the week I'll have a beer or two with it. Keeping 4-5 days a week of a clean diet and no booze helps me stay in shape and enjoy on weekends without any guilt. It's a balance that works for me.

schteve likes this.
  27. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

I don't I ever have taken a break.

28. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Zealot (531) Sep 2, 2009 California

Ultimate frisbee doesn't count :stuck_out_tongue:

29. Kjanisch7

Kjanisch7 Initiate (147) Jun 26, 2013 New Jersey

During the summer months and winter months I drink the most beer. The in between months I use to kick my ass back into shape and typically try to force myself to only drink on weekends. Keeps me from getting in a funk and I spend less money. I do usually buy my beer throughout the week, stock up on some goodies, and get friends together on weekends to bottleshare and watch football. Seems to work pretty well for me.

audioserf likes this.
  30. RBCORCORAN

RBCORCORAN Initiate (0) May 18, 2009 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Most of the past 6-8 months do to 24/7 caregiving for a terminally ill family member. Probably haven't had a total of a 12 pack in that time.

31. TheLostGringo

TheLostGringo Aspirant (207) Dec 7, 2011 Connecticut

Basically any day I am not in the mood for beer, no scheduled or well thought out breaks.

Only long break was the 2 years living in the Dominican Republic during 2004-2005, no craft there.

32. BT_Bobandy

BT_Bobandy Defender (608) Feb 20, 2011 Ohio

Sun-Wed = Usually No Beer or alcohol .....TH = Maybe 1 or 2......Fri & Sat = Who's counting? :astonished:

I don't take breaks from Craft Beer in general as I don't drink BMC's or anything else except the occasional Whisky. Can't just drink whisky for a month or I'd go crazy.

33. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (192) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Uhh, 1980. And 2 days before some med. procedure a couple of years ago.

34. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (314) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Took about 3 weeks at the beginning to drop some weight and it worked like a charm. Now I'm working a beer or two into the midweek but mostly keeping it to Friday or Saturday night.

Still have a case or so to drink before I have to replenish and at this rate it may take weeks.

35. ontherocks

ontherocks Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2008 Georgia

Craft beers comprise probably 95% of what I drink and I usually only have maybe 3 to 4 beers per week - on average.

When I do take some time off from craft brews, it is usually spontaneous. It just happens that perhaps I am too tired to enjoy a beer (or for some other reason) and after that "first day", doing without is easier and it stretches for a week, sometimes two.

36. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,965) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I've been finding myself having 1-2 beers nearly everyday (rarely if ever have 3+ in a day) and thought it was time to cut out a few days a week to break the routine of it (doesn't seem a alcohol dependent issue, but habitual/routine that needs addressed). Trying to save some money, belly size and fix my brain from habit.

37. JonConno

JonConno Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013

Good advice!

yemenmocha likes this.
  38. JonConno

JonConno Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013

Hmmmm... I'm thinking the same thing now. It is just a routine thing to grab a beer or two (sometimes larger bottles too) - and it can get expensive. Maybe tonight I'll go for a carrot juice instead!

39. mrk829

mrk829 Initiate (190) Aug 1, 2008 Georgia

The last break I took was 10 days since I was on antibiotics so it was more forced than anything else. The last time i took one without being on meds was about 4-5 yrs ago and was about 2 months long. I do try to take atleast one off day a week now am moving to just having a couple beers on Fri-Sun, does not always work out but I try.

40. rjniles

rjniles Initiate (98) Aug 30, 2012 South Carolina

Usually most days between midnight and 12:01 PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.