When you think about it...this beer revolution we're having is amazing!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pro100, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pro100

pro100 Initiate (107) Oct 12, 2014 California

I'm sittin' here zoning out thinking to myself- there's so much good beer out there these days its ridiculous. Sh*t is crazy! Have you ever seen anything like this? It's damn near like when the internet first popped off in a major way years ago. All these new breweries popping up literally everyday from coast to coast is unreal. There is literally no need for me to ever buy a Bud, Miller, Coors, Heineken, Corona, etc. ever again. Whether or not it can sustain its steady rise is another topic.

2. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,428) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

Having come of age in the 70's I am like a kid in a candy store.

3. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (283) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

Still a ways to go in some markets/chain restaurants. That distribution 3 tier fight will be interesting. So I do like where we have progressed. No where near any sort of saturation point as some are fearful about. Although, some markets have saturated mediocre beers. But luckily, I think the better ones will prevail

4. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,075) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Thanks to the beer revolution, I had something to do in Fort Collins the week I was there. It had been raining all week so hard the trails were shut down for hiking/running, and the disc golf courses were swamps, so I spent the whole week touring breweries and sampling beer.

I'll certainly be interested to see how it pans out in 5/10/15 years. In the mean time, I'll be sure to pick up something new every time I am shopping.

Geuzedad and foundersfan1 like this.
  5. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (920) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Keep your eyes open.

We are living in the "good old days" with respect to beer in the US.

Always be mindful of the present or risk missing what is right in front of you.

6. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,235) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

I turned 21 in 2007 and have seen a huge difference in the beers I can get. Sure I still know a few local place that still sell shit beer, but there has been a huge push to sell better beer since I've had time to buy. There is a bar on the Main Street of the college I went to that went from promoting $1 pints of BMC to promoting things like DFH 120 and BCBS kegs along with local tap take overs.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  7. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,311) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Society

i'm only 23 but i wanted to move to England or Germany so that i could experience life in a different area and enjoy the best beer.

i now realize that the best beer is from the US (i'm probably biased). i'd still love to live in Europe but the great beer coming out of this country is fantastic. it's a great time to be an American beer drinker

8. phroztbyt3

phroztbyt3 Initiate (53) Dec 10, 2015 Colorado

Coming from a European family, I was taught when I was younger that the best beer came from Belgium or Germany. The best liquor is Cognac, etc etc.

I'm first generation American, and I'm not regularly proud of our regulations, our government, our corruption. But man... we are #1 in beer all the way. I couldn't be happier with the selection; and the variety opens up so many people who aren't into beer to get into it. I think its great :slight_smile: .

9. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,311) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Society

my family is European as well (mix of Spanish, Italian and Hungarian)
    my family drinks a lot of wine but i strongly prefer beer. i do LOVE Anisette, or Sambuca (or whatever you wanna call it). i'm a bourbon fan (Maker's Mark and Buffalo Trace) as well as Mount Gay Rum (Barbados) and Beefeater Gin (England). but beer comes first.

a great quote that sums up my opinion is "I love the place I live but hate the people in charge." we have great beer coming out of this country.

Geuzedad and phroztbyt3 like this.
  10. jssf

jssf Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2015 California

Tis a golden age.

[​IMG]

11. BrewMan13

BrewMan13 Aspirant (249) Apr 22, 2004 New York

Completely agree; amazing even compared to just 10 years ago. I've spent an insane amount in the last 6 weeks or so, and I didn't even have to travel or go out of my way. And these days only the most remote restaurants/bars don't have something at least a notch above Sam Adams, whereas I use to keep my fingers crossed just to get Sam when going to a new place.

12. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (920) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I wouldn't write off Belgium just yet. :slight_smile:

13. fuhkyou

fuhkyou Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Idaho

... be nice if it extended beyond beer in tasteless Merica.

19etz55 likes this.
  14. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (575) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

Don't worry, we also have the best bourbon. :wink:

15. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

It's not really amazing. It's part of a movement in the USA away from mass produced food and drink. It started with the local food movement. Moved on to wine than to beer.

16. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,509) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

It's an over loaded market with some styles. It's getting to the point where really nice solid IPAs sit on the shelf because there's always a few super IPAs available in that same market. Crazy amount of choices on the hoppy stuff, the other styles are kinda sane. A few Pils that roll off the shelf , but we don't have a glut of great Pils here vs say SE Pa.

17. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,794) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Yes it truly is amazing. I just wish somebody in the Carolinas would start making New England style IPAs that are as good as those from Tree House, Trillium etc.

Mtbtrev, TonyLema1 and TheIPAHunter like this.
  18. fuhkyou

fuhkyou Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Idaho

That's like saying we have the best tuna casserole. Strictly all malt whisky in my world. Do you like beer made with corn?

19. Crawfish61

Crawfish61 Initiate (106) Feb 1, 2013 Louisiana

7 to 5 years ago the only craft beer you could find where I live was Abita. That was it. Today I went to a local grocer and they have an entire large cooler dedicated just to craft beer. It was much larger that the BMC section. They were the only place in Lafayette to get Bourbon County stout. Last time I went there 1 year ago they had a tiny section of craft. It was really nice to see.

20. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (575) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

I don't quite catch your meaning but what I said was a joke since bourbon, by legal definition, is exclusively American.

21. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,659) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Was at the Sly Fox brewpub yesterday watching bowl games. Was drinking both Pikeland Pils and Tettnang Keller Pils on draft. Yum!!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

cavedave and nc41 like this.
  22. Vivs85

Vivs85 Devotee (420) Nov 29, 2012 New York
    Trader

^^^ THIS!

It's always impossible to see the era when you're living it- but I can promise you with the way Macro's are buying up everything- THIS is the good ole days. And not to disclaim Billy Joel but... The good ole days WERE always that Good!
    Enjoy the ride- Cheers!!!

Geuzedad and johnInLA like this.
  23. jssf

jssf Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2015 California

Obviously this is happening. But consumers are more and more savvy, and more and more interested in small-scale production done with care and artistry as opposed to full industrialization. What I'm saying is, at least at this moment, a small producer will come along to replace any macro-bought craft.

cavedave likes this.
  24. brewmudgeon

brewmudgeon Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2007 Wisconsin

ha ha, does a doctor have you on a strict all-barley diet or something? no matter, more a-maize-ing drinks for the rest of us...

TonyLema1 likes this.
  25. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,079) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

People rail against the 3 Tier distribution system, but very few actually know how beer distribution works and has been working for many years. I've yet to see anyone propose an alternative system that could provide timely delivery to states, stores, etc. There are up sides and down sides to the 3 Tier system, but scrapping it entirely without a firm plan would be utter chaos. And remember that the USA is like 50 countries, with varying laws, regulations, taxes, and on and on. I don't love the 3 Tier system, but I've worked within its aegis for decades and I learned to navigate it well to get fresh beer from far corners. Freight costs for beer are a big factor in pricing.

drtth likes this.
  26. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,249) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

27. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,932) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

It tis great. As someone mentioned driving to get great beer isn't the task it used to be. Ended up at my in-laws on New Years and drank all my stash so ran to the local grocer to get supplies and rolled up on Deschutes Red Chair, never seen this at any of my local beer places. Nice find.

Monkeyknife likes this.
  28. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,175) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

I turned 21 in the desolate beer wasteland of 1982. I hope that my two eldest kids, 20 and 18 will enjoy what is available to them at this time. Especially with their dear old Dad. :wink:

29. Vivs85

Vivs85 Devotee (420) Nov 29, 2012 New York
    Trader

Agreed for sure... But over time I wonder what will happen. I'm talking like 15-20 years from now.

It just seems to be inevitable almost- hopefully though I'm overestimating the power of conglomeration

30. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (811) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

I noticed a few sly fox cans in our Whole Foods the other day, do you think they hold up ok after a few months? The were the Helles, 113 IPA and I think another one, possible a pils although I can't remember exactly

31. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Fully agree, there is lots of great everyday beers, lots of selection, and along with this there are world class beers being brewed. This is a great time to be a beer drinker in the US, hopefully it last a long time.

Monkeyknife likes this.
  32. SCW

SCW Poo-Bah (1,692) Jul 25, 2004 New York

No, but there is plenty of reason for them to buy craft breweries.

33. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (2,625) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

I so agree with the OP. We are living in a great time to pursue quality beer it is literally popping up in the least likely of places. Just the other day I was shopping at Duane Reade. For those of you not from NYC, it is a drugstore franchise similar to Walgreens and CVS. Anyway, I passed an aisle where they sold beer. They had cases of Duvel!!!! I thought "now I've seen it all!!"

34. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,806) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

You will have seen it all when you go to one that sells Bourbon County :slight_smile:.

dennis3951 and Gajo74 like this.
  35. coopdog1000

coopdog1000 Disciple (303) Feb 22, 2014 Florida

The drinking age was 18 in 1981 your math doesn't ad up.

36. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (2,941) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

A great time to love beer. God Bless!

Monkeyknife likes this.
  37. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (2,625) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

Not necessarily. It varies from state to state. Post prohibition, the legal age was 21. However, in the 70s several states lowered it to 18-19, only to raise it back to 21 in the 80s. I noticed that @Monkeyknife is from Missouri. If that is where he came of age, according to what I looked up, the legal age stayed at 21 even in the 70s and 80s.

TonyLema1 and Monkeyknife like this.
  38. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,175) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

Nope, the drinking age in Indiana was 21 in 1982. I wish it had been 18...

TonyLema1 likes this.
  39. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,075) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Amazing indeed, when you can order DFH Fort on tap at Applebee's.

Gajo74 likes this.
  40. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,075) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Waits for signs: flu shot line to the left, BCBS release line to the right.

Gajo74 and TongoRad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.