Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Where do I want to drink in downtown Baltimore?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by harryhood1, Jul 3, 2013.

1. harryhood1

Headed to Baltimore next week and staying at the Hilton Downtown. Last time I was there, I checked out The Brewer's Art and an English Brew pub that I can't remember the name of.

Where are some lesser known places with good lists or that brew their own stuff?

2. desperado28

Beer Trader

Nothing out of the ordinary, but I was there a few weeks ago and went to Alewife, good beer selection and really good food in an old bank building, it is close to the Inner Harbor area, and to Max's Taphouse, bar with 100+ taps in Fells Point.

3. SloppyJoeWasAMan

Maxs on broadway. It's pretty well known and dont brew their own, but you won't find a better selection anywhere close.

shutyourface and bohollyday like this.
  4. scraff

Pratt St Alehouse. Great beer these days, solid food. That's the English place you mention. Used to be called Wharf Rat.
    Then Alewife, Brewers Art, Dont Know Tavern, Metropolitan, Mahaffeys, Max's, Of Love and Regret to name a few. That should keep you busy for a while. ;)

5. John_M

John_M Moderator
    Staff Member Beer Trader

Nothing really to add to the recommendations already made (OK, maybe Brewer's Cask and the Abbery Burger Bistro over in Federal Hill, and the Hudson St. Stackhouse in Canton, as well), but keep in mind that some of these recommendations will entail a bit of a hike to get to from the downtown area. If you have a car, that's no problem, but if you have to hoof it, or plan to rely on taxi transportation, it's something to keep in mind. You can actually take the water taxi to get over to the Canton area, which will allow you to hit Mahaffey's and the Hudson St. Stackhouse. I'd also recommend using the water taxi to get over to Max's as well.

Every place else mentioned above, you can get to fairly easily by walking. I'm not sure the Don't Know Tavern is so awesome that I'd want to walk that far to visit (or invest the money for a cab ride), but that's just my opinion. Nothing wrong with the place otherwise. If you want to visit OLAR, you'll either need to drive or spend some money on a cab. It wouldn't be worth it to me (Stillwater beers are good, but you should be able to find a good selection at Alewife and Max's), but it is a solid (albeit expensive) place with a very nice seleciton of food and beer.

My feeling is that if one wants to recommend OLAR, then I think we should also mention the Heavy Seas alehouse. Conceptually, I think the two places are pretty similar; both places are essentially tied house operations (Stillwater beers in the case of OLAR, and Clipper City/Heavy Seas beers in the case of the alehouse), but offering food options that are considerably above the normal menu items one finds at many beer bars around town. I'm not a huge fan of either place, but that's due to the pricing at both places, which I just think is inordinately high for what you get.... but that's just my opinion. Good luck.

6. harryhood1

Wow, great suggestions! Definitely enough for a couple nights of drinking. Thanks everyone!

7. bierman2000

John Michaelsen knows the area well, yes John I am giving you due props. Brewer's Art and Partt St are your best choices fro downtown. It all depends how far you want to venture out.. be it Fells Point or Canton, etc.

8. John_M

John_M Moderator
    Staff Member Beer Trader

:) Thanks Ron...

9. shutyourface

Max's Taphouse will blow your damn mind!

10. mikeburd1128

Maybe I'll see you at Max's. I'll be there Fri and Sat. Most likely wearing Blue Jays gear. Enjoy!

11. RichardMNixon

Beer Trader

If you're there on Saturday, you can take the light rail to Union Craft Brewing for growler fills and/or free samples. They also usually have a few taps at Max's.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe