Where is Avery Uncle Jacob Batch #2?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by hitter114, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,195) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Nice...I'll probably be there closer to 4'ish, but hopefully that Tweak will last. At "only" $6, that's much cheaper than most places selling it for $10 for 6oz.

2. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Initiate (125) May 30, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Good to see all the familiar faces at the release. Props to rekrappy and crew for another top-notch session ale and a very smooth release.

Off to have my fake Avery dollar bill framed to put above the bar...

3. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Devotee (406) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I don't find it to be overwhelmingly boozy. very balanced right off.
    Rumkin was great, but hot, aging did it some good.
    UJ is good to go right off the bat.

4. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Aspirant (260) Jun 26, 2007 Colorado
    Beer Trader

had a great time and think rum barrel Czar is amazing. Had an awesome time hanging out with a couple cats I don't usually see(Corey and Paul). I took notes though it sound like a note to my wife

"Maybe its the beer talking Marge but you got a butt that wont quit. They got these jalepeno things here.......beer, five dollars? get out of here"

I thought UJ was really good and ready to go, I interested to see how last years has aged

coreymcafee likes this.
  5. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Aspirant (232) Feb 28, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Drinking one now and it's so legit.

6. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2011 Colorado

Craftbeerkings has some for sale online. As I couldn't make the release I am hoping that means it will hit the shelves here soon?

7. Prospero

Prospero Savant (944) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I love how this beer always makes it to California before Colorado :confused:

hopfacebrew likes this.
  8. Graviz

Graviz Aspirant (262) Feb 26, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Anyone know when it's hitting denver stores?

beatenbyjacks likes this.
  9. Kuester

Kuester Initiate (0) May 14, 2012 Colorado

Should be Thu/Fri this week

10. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Aspirant (258) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Wouldn't want to get it on our shelves here before people in CA can walk into a store and get it :rolling_eyes:

11. Graviz

Beer Trader

Good point! Think of the children!!!

12. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Aspirant (253) Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

Looks like it already hit the shelves in CA.

13. DenverBeerDrinker

Beer Trader

Someone posted about a store in CA:

1 bottle limit. $9.99

What's the odds it's going to be in stores here at $10?

14. Graviz

Beer Trader

Not sure I buy that since wasn't it $12 at the brewery?

15. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

Yep.
    Last year it sold for $10@ the release and $12 retail, at least at the 2 places I bought it. I'm guessing the chances of it selling for less than last year is pretty remote.
    Does anyone know what Momi went for in stores? Just wondering if their special releases tend to go for $2 more than at the release party.

16. DenverBeerDrinker

Beer Trader

Momi was $11 where I saw it.

17. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

So the $10 UJ in CO isn't looking good.

18. Graviz

Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Jasonrm72 likes this.
  19. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (280) May 31, 2011 Colorado

Well,if it makes you feel better, Black Butte xxv was $14.99 at the brewery, and I bought two bombers yesterday for $11.99 each.

LoganStegman and tacosandbeer like this.
  20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,005) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I don't know why you guys are planning on buying any, I told you I'm buying it all up this year.

21. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Aspirant (251) Mar 4, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

22. SkeeterBoganski

SkeeterBoganski Devotee (487) Feb 25, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Distribution hands + retail hands = cheaper cost to the buyer than brewery direct? I'm no master of logic, but that seems not to make a pantload of sense. I'll just keep those pant-filled legs crossed in hopes the price is similar on local shelves/back stockrooms/retailer jockstraps.

23. dauss

dauss Defender (654) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It's usually the same price or more expensive to buy it on site. You don't or maybe can't undercut your distributor.

24. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,446) May 19, 2005 Colorado

Unless it's self-distributed...:wink:

SkeeterBoganski likes this.
  25. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

Even Great Divide stuff is more expensive at the brewery. The BA Hibernation and BA Old Ruffian were $2 more @ the brewery than in stores. I'm guessing that's the deal, they can't undercut the distributors.

26. SkeeterBoganski

SkeeterBoganski Devotee (487) Feb 25, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Does this usually not account for any retail mark-up? I guess my generally 3-tiered ignorance leaves me wondering where the profit margin lies for Ricky the Retailer (or Swayze the Salesman...you know what I'm sayin').

If the answer is "bulk", then it kind of makes sense. And trust that I won't complain about seeing it locally for less than $12.

27. DenverBeerDrinker

Beer Trader

Every other special release beer from Avery is cheaper at the release then it is in the store. Last year UJ was $10 at the brewery and $11-12 in the stores.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  28. Jasonrm72

Beer Trader

which leads me to believe Avery has its own thing going on. As mentioned self-distribution allows them to set their own rules.
    Like others, I'm still unhappy folks in CA get to buy UJ for $10 while we're standing in the brewery paying $12. And if history holds, CO stores will be selling it for $13 or $14. Uncool.

SFACRKnight and hopfacebrew like this.
  29. nolimitnsb

nolimitnsb Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Same was true with Momi Hiwa. Just feels like us locals are getting screwed here. Every other place gets it first on the shelves, it's cheaper in CA than it was at the brewery (people reported it was $10 in CA), etc. Perhaps there's something I'm not factoring in but what gives?

I realize that $2 isn't all that big of a deal but when you buy a full case it adds up.

hopfacebrew likes this.
  30. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Initiate (36) Oct 26, 2012 Colorado

I don't think we should have had to pay more, but the other side of the coin is, if you weren't at the release paying $12 a bottle, you are most likely subjected to a 1 bottle limit. I have little issue paying the additional $12 to get 6 of them.

31. Graviz

Beer Trader

Maybe Andy could hit up some of his distro guys and ask that question? Maybe there's a good reason? I'd be curious to know.

nolimitnsb likes this.
  32. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,195) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

A year or two ago I was about to buy some bottles at New Belgium and they suggested I go to Wilbur's instead.
    They told me that they keep bottles on-hand for people who aren't interested in driving all over town, but that stores would always be cheaper because they don't want to screw over their retail distribution. I've noticed that seems to be standard.
    Makes sense to me.

33. DenverBeerDrinker

Beer Trader

It makes sense but what I've been pointing out is that's not the case for specialty beers from Avery. Not blaming Avery for pricing because stores seem to very a lot around town but they certainly aren't cheaper at the stores then at the release. They are $1-2 more. And to see that places in CA are selling Uncle Jacobs for $1-2 LESS then we paid at the release is nuts.

34. rekrappy

rekrappy Initiate (13) Feb 2, 2006 Colorado

I was kind of curious about this "self-distribution" thing, too, as it'd be the first I've heard of it. So I chatted with our sales gurus. We are not self-distributing anything. Every single case, even if hand-delivered by one of our few sales folk, has been paid for by our distributor and the store is buying it from them. The sales folk are hand-delivering most of them because they want to be able to go into those stores that are getting those beers and say hello. We're actually spending far more money and time to hand deliver the cases than sending them through the distributor. Mainly as a "thank you" to cool places that have supported us for years.

And as for why only certain stores are getting some of the barrel-aged releases... with such limited amounts of beer, it's a struggle to come up with the best way to put them out there. If, for example, we give 100 cases of Momi Hiwa to our distributor and they put it on an ordering list for the 2000+ stores we work with, it can get ugly. Then hundreds of stores order the beer, it is spread incredibly thin, and then *everyone* is unhappy. That's what would have happened if we'd released the 30-40 cases we had left of Ross's's' Melange... there was so little that we would have made more stores/people angry than happy. So instead of making money on that beer, we're holding it to use for special events. Rather than making a release like UJ a free-for-all, we feel that the most fair way to get the beer out there is to get it to places that support us. This isn't some giant bullying scheme, it's simply the most logical method we could figure out to get this tiny little sliver of our overall production out there. There might be a better way to get this sort of thing done, and I'm sure the sales folk are open to different ideas, but we're doing the best we can and feel that allocating the beer ourselves makes more sense than a big feeding frenzy.

I also asked them about the CA price thing. That cost on the shelf is up to the distributor and store to determine... we can recommend a price to the distributor, but there's no way we can tell hundreds of stores what price to sell at. We didn't sell UJ to our CA distributor at a lower price than our CO distributor, so they and/or the store are choosing to sell at a lower margin. It's also notable that the price increase we saw at the Tap Room also meant a price increase for our local distributor. I can't tell you what the prices will be in stores because we don't determine that.

As for how it gets to CA before CO... I can't say I know too much about that one, but I can say that it's not an easy feat to distribute in multiple states and make sure everything gets a certain place at a certain time. I would guess that we had a truck going to CA on the day we were bottling UJ, so it might have gone out earlier. For CO, I'd imagine that we were waiting to put UJ in the market until after the release party, so it might not have gone out on a truck to CO until a few days after CA. Once again, this might not be perfect, but we don't have thousands of sales reps... we have a handful, and they're spending a lot of time out in the field. It doesn't make sense for them to spend a lot of their time on the logistics of making sure that UJ bottles hit the shelves here a few days before CA.

And keep in mind that I am not in sales 'n' marketing, so I'm just writing down what's happening as I understand it through our sales gurus... if there's a misunderstanding on something, feel free to ask questions or contact me/the brewery directly for good ol' fashioned factual answers. Though I might not be around a computer for the rest of the day. Too much computer time and no beer makes Andy something something...

Rock on.

Andy Parker
    Barrel Herder, Avery Brewing Company

35. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Savant (957) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Victory does the same thing. They refuse to compete with local beer stores so anything at the Brewery is at or higher than regular cost. This has become painfully obvious with all their barrel aged beers released in the last two years.

36. DenverBeerDrinker

Beer Trader

Andy,

Appreciate every time you take the time to chime in.

Thanks

37. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Zealot (503) Apr 17, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Great to see a beer rep take the time explain things they know about the company from the inside. Look forward to your posts all the time Andy!

nolimitnsb likes this.
  38. Prospero

Prospero Savant (944) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

So it's Friday and still not here...

39. DenverBeerDrinker

Beer Trader

Yesterday, Mr B's said Tuesday it should be in.

Prospero likes this.
  40. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Aspirant (260) Jun 26, 2007 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Mr B got one case today

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.