Where is the good beer in CT?

Discussion in 'New England' started by DanE, May 13, 2012.

1. DanE

DanE Feb 24, 2012 Connecticut

No doubt we have some good craft beer, but most of the Top 100 are out of my reach. Where can I get some good ole Founders, Russian River, Homestead etc... in this area?

2. Stubbie1

Stubbie1 Nov 20, 2002 Connecticut

3. naloxone

naloxone Aug 7, 2010 Connecticut

Founders is a jump over the line to MA or NY, though rumor has it we'll be seeing it sometime in June. Pretty sure the closest place to find any RR stuff is on tap in Philly. To get most of the top 100 in CT, you have to trade. Luckily, we get plenty of decent stuff like New England Brewing, Southern Tier, etc that will be a worthy trade for just about any off the shelf offerings.

www.beermapping.com has a map you can plug in whichever brewery you like and see where they are distributed.

4. mltobin

mltobin Apr 1, 2007 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

If the OP is actually serious (with a grand total of 1 forum posts) : take some quick road trips, such as Vermont, drink great beer made there and on your way home, pick up even more beer in Mass. 2nd trip, go to Philly and as mentioned you might catch RR on draft, but should be able to at least get a few bottles somewhere in the vicinity.
    And there is plenty of great beer here that is not in the "top 100". cheers !

5. woosterbill

woosterbill Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

To answer the thread title by itself, good beer in CT can be found in many places: New England Brewing Co. is my favorite of the CT breweries, and always have something tasty available in growlers. Willimantic Brewing is an amazing brewpub, with terrific house beers and a great selection of guest taps as well. The best bars in the state include Prime 16, Cask Republic, Delaney's, and Mikro in the New Haven area, Ginger Man in South Norwalk, Eli Cannon's in Middletown, among others. Good stores include Mountview in Naugatuck, the Amity locations in Amity and Hamden, Total Wine in Milford, New England Beverage in Orange, Coastal in Branford, Manchester Wine and Spirits, and many more.

If all you care about is ticking the top 100, you can get a lot of good things with cans of Gandhi-Bot and growlers of NEBCO one-offs. For bigger things, your best bet is either to wait until a new batch of NEBCO Barrel Aged Imperial Stout Trooper comes out later this year, or (as mltobin suggested) skip town and make a drive up to Vermont. A couple cases of Heady Topper should do the trick for trade-bait for all but the most whalish of beers.

My advice would be to explore the places I described in my first paragraph and learn about all the great, fresh, delicious local beers that you can get without bumping up the stock price of FedEx or UPS. But that's just me.

6. mCaudio

mCaudio Feb 2, 2010 Connecticut

Visit Brew Wine Hobby in East Hartford and make your own!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!