Where to Drink in Greenville, South Carolina

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Admin (16,842) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Society

South Carolina’s beer scene has been slow to develop compared to its northern sister, but the tide has started to turn, thanks to a series of legislative changes making the state friendlier to the beer business.

Read the full article: Where to Drink in Greenville, South Carolina

#1 BeerAdvocate, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
    DrMindbender likes this.
  2. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Savant (923) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

Greenville is maturing into a nice and varied craft beer spot...and there are several great homebrewing groups in town too!

mactrail likes this.
  3. Keene

Keene Defender (659) Sep 11, 2009 Washington

With a short detour off I-26, the Carolinas have a nice little beer corridor all the way from Charleston to Asheville!

DrMindbender and mactrail like this.
  4. mactrail

mactrail Poo-Bah (9,925) Mar 24, 2009 Washington
    Society Trader

Greenville has some very decent beer spots downtown, which is enlivened by beautiful parks, trails, and a sensational bridge over the river and falls.

5. Luu777

Luu777 Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2010 California

Don't forget Southern Growl!

TonyLema1 and Lonestar9 like this.
  6. Joet7565

Joet7565 Initiate (41) Dec 26, 2015 South Carolina

The beer scene in Greenville is becoming very good; it's not Asheville or Charleston yet but it's continuing to grow. Now if Spartanburg could just follow suit...

7. Lonestar9

Lonestar9 Initiate (187) Apr 27, 2008 South Carolina
    Trader

I wonder if Loose Reed or Fireforge will actually open, you don't hear any news from them anymore, since many months ago.

8. DrMindbender

With the enforcement of the antiquated beer laws that kicked up in 2016, both of these breweries were no longer allowed to share samples or show up at festivals, basically neutering their momentum towards opening. I have seen some Fireforge collaborations with other upstate breweries recently, but I haven't seen anything from Loose Reed since these laws started being enforced more stringently.

Lonestar9 likes this.
  9. DrMindbender

Fireforge actually made an announcement on Facebook 2 hours ago that they will definitely be open in 2017...you can also see some of their collaborations with Upstate Craft Beer on their timeline.

10. Lonestar9

Lonestar9 Initiate (187) Apr 27, 2008 South Carolina
    Trader

Cool, thanks for the that, and the explanation on why they have gone a bit silent. I agree, our laws stink, and getting them changed in our area is no easy task. Still, looking forward to the new breweries in the upstate!

DrMindbender likes this.
  11. phildow

phildow Initiate (115) Jan 6, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

I haven't been here personally, but the GF knows the owners and based on what I see her looking at on their IG, they seem to get pretty good stuff in.
    http://www.craftanddraftbeer.com/

12. DrMindbender

That's in Columbia, aka the armpit of SC, 2 hours or so from Greenville.

13. phildow

phildow Initiate (115) Jan 6, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Lol apparently I haven't woken up from the holiday vacation...or I need more coffee. Whoops.

Lonestar9 and DrMindbender like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.