Quebec Where to find these beers in Montreal

Discussion in 'Canada' started by SummitSeries72, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Initiate (164) Mar 17, 2011 New Jersey

When I am in Montreal, I usually pick up beer at the usual suspect Depanneurs. But I never, ever find any craft beers there. I would love to know where to go to pick up beers like Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde and St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. I can find them easier here in NJ than I can in Montreal. Grateful for the heads up. Are these beers only available in SAQ stores?

2. WilderPegasus

WilderPegasus Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

You could probably find them in any supermarket - Loblaws, Metro or IGA. Those are some of the most common craft beers you can find in Quebec.

But you won't find them in an SAQ. The SAQ carries almost no Quebec beer.

3. SummitSeries72

Thanks. Do the depanneurs carry any craft beers these days? And what kind of beers would you be likely to find in an SAQ? American craft beers? By the way, is it even possible to find American craft beers in Montreal? Sorry for all the questions.

4. WilderPegasus

WilderPegasus Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

It would depend on the dep.

Go to saq.com. They list everything they sell on their website.

Only the SAQ will have American beers and they don't carry many.

5. SummitSeries72

Thanks. And I take it they would be expensive.

6. LarryAppleton

LarryAppleton Aspirant (269) Dec 1, 2012 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

SAQ only carries maybe 5 different US beers, nothing special. They have a lot more Belgians, usually at decent prices. Almost every large supermarket, and small deps (corner store) carries Unibroue and St-Ambroise. You only need to go to the specialty beer stores to find the harder to find local beers

7. SummitSeries72

Hmm, I've never seen any specialty beer stores in Montreal. Are they easy to find? For example, would you find them in the West Island, Ville St. Laurent, Cote des Neiges, etc.? Also, since I don't want to spend all my time in Montreal going from the supermarket to the depanneur to the SAQ to the specialty beer store, is there such a thing as a "one stop shopping" beer store in Montreal, where I could find a good selection of local, Canadian, American, and European craft beers? Grateful for the feedback.

8. Whatup14

Whatup14 Crusader (731) Apr 16, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

9. SummitSeries72

Thanks. Very helpful. How good a selection would I typically find at supermarkets like Loblaws, IGA, Metro, etc.?

10. Whatup14

Beer Trader

It depends on the supermarket. For what I know, IGA's usually have a greater choice, but it's still some fairly common craft beer (eg Boréale, St.Ambroise, Unibroue, maybe Dieu du ciel). As someone said if you're looking for Unibroue and St. Ambroise Oatmeal stout, you'll probably find them in all supermarkets.

11. SummitSeries72

Thanks.

12. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Unibroue is very common, most depanneurs have at least Maudite, Fin du Monde, Blanche.

In the area you mentioned, depending where exactly you are there's here. Peluso as mentioned above is great but go here too. Note, they will not have Unibroue.

13. SummitSeries72

Thanks. What is the cross street for the depanneur on Decarie? Maybe I'll combine it with a trip to Decarie Hot Dog.

14. papat444

Beer Trader

It's north of the 40, not too far away. Can't remember off-hand but if you Google the address, you should find it.

15. Whatup14

Beer Trader

It's between Drolet and St.Denis streets on Liege street.

16. papat444

Beer Trader

That's Veux-tu une biere. I *think* he was talking about Parisoir which is across from the Du College metro.

17. Whatup14

Beer Trader

You're probably right. I'll take some reading classes and I'll come back. :eek:

18. SummitSeries72

So Parisoir is at the intersection of Du College and Decarie?

19. SummitSeries72

Thanks.

20. Whatup14

Beer Trader

Yes.

21. SummitSeries72

Thanks much.

22. papat444

Beer Trader

No worries!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.