Where to Vacation in CO for Beers + Swimming + Boating

Discussion in 'US - West' started by travis224, Jun 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. travis224

travis224 Aspirant (202) Jul 24, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Looking to bring my girlfriend somewhere in Colorado, or nearby, for her birthday. She wants to rent a boat and go swimming. We'd also like some good beer, cocktails, and eating options. Her b-day is the last week in July, so we're hoping a fair amount of businesses will be opened by then.

We go to Dillon a lot and she wants to try something new, so that's out. I was thinking of Grand Lake? There's a brewpub there, World's End, that also has cabins for rent. Anyone know anything about this place? Is it any good?

Otherwise, I'm basically looking for a place where we can rent a boat, go swimming, and drink great beers. Where do you guys recommend? I'm having a little trouble finding a place that has all three.

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,103) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I'm gonna just say it, Colorado is a TERRIBLE destination of you like water. Add on top of it that swim beaches are still closed and I have nothing for ya. You could do Aurora reservoir and hit Dry Dock and Comrade afterwards.

Kman_Colorado and clusterfolk like this.
  3. travis224

Trader

Haaa. We used to live right down the street from there. Definitely wouldn't fly for a b-day getaway, but I appreciate the effort.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  4. bfields4

bfields4 Defender (604) Dec 11, 2007 Colorado

I used to live in the area (tabernash) the lakes are nice up there, but the beer isn't great unless you venture over to Fraser/Winter Park.

Just a thought, but there are a ton of lakes up by FoCo & of course, lots of good beer.

No idea about renting boats, but if you went to the Buena Vista/Salida area there is a ton of water stuff to do up there & good beer/food.

travis224 and SFACRKnight like this.
  5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,103) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I reckon a guy could do antero reservoir, eddyline brewing, and maybe a jaunt down to pagosa springs for some elevation.

bfields4 and travis224 like this.
  6. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Savant (903) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

Ruedi Res and Glenwood Springs. Doesn't get much better than Casey beers and tacos from Slope & Hatch. The Pullman is a great spot for a nicer meal, since it's your lady's bday and all. We rented 2 inflatable boats, paddles, and life jackets in Glenwood for the day. Quick and easy

7. travis224

Trader

Where do you recommend in Fraser or Winter Park area? Gonna drive through there on our way to Grand Lakes and would like to stop for lunch and a couple beers.

8. bfields4

The breweries up there are hidden gems IMO. Hideaway Park in WP and Fraser River in Fraser are both visit worthy (Camber's not bad either).

Hideaway has been around for a little longer and the beers are super dialed in (the cream ale is esp good). The brewery is a little more of a cozy nook great for winter drinking. Nice patio but small. Fraser Valley hot dog next door does gourmet hot dogs/brats/burgers (biker jim's-ish). The ditch on 40 above it has some super awesome green-chili type NM food. Rudi's Deli is one of my favorite sandwich shops if you wanted to grab it to bring back.

Fraser River has a great patio and the beers are really good just IMO not quite as dialed as Hideaway. They have a food truck that I like, but I dunno if I would say it's anything special. Just good greasy bar food with a couple of twists. If you're feeling like a late bfast they would probably let you grab sharky's from around the corner (sooo good). Bonus if you goto Fraser River Camber brewing is about 25 steps away if you feel like garbing more then one and honestly it'd be super easy to hit all three if you have time they're all right off 40.

Have fun up there!

travis224 likes this.
  9. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

I don't know much about Grand Lake and the breweries there, but it was cool renting a boat there for my birthday recently. It's not a huge lake, but Shadow Mountain Lake is attached and much bigger (though I think you have to rent a boat there specifically as we were told we couldn't go over there on our boat). Squeaky B's is the place to go for a burger; one of the best burgers I've ever had. Guanella Pass Brewery in Empire is on the way if driving from Denver. I haven't been to that location but have heard good things and went to the one in Georgetown and they had solid brews. Sorry but that's about all I know about the beer scene up that way. But that burger...it was serious.

travis224 likes this.
  10. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Zealot (597) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Trader

New one up there, too, that sounds good: Big Trout.

bfields4 and travis224 like this.
  11. bfields4

Yep, I just left them off because I hadn't been there yet, but they would be a very quick walk from Hideaway park.

Schmittymack likes this.
  12. bfields4

and FWIW the distillery Idlewild in WP has really good food, good drinks, and a decent tap list. Just might not be a good lunch stop.

travis224 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.