Where was your Budweiser born?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BaltimoreBeerGuy, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaltimoreBeerGuy

BaltimoreBeerGuy Devotee (390) Jun 7, 2003 Maryland

2. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2008 Illinois

3. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

This actually is a great idea. I would love it if some of the larger craft brewers did this.

4. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I actually think this is one of the best ideas I've heard from a brewer in a long time. Bud will blend their beer to hit that desired flavor profile, of course, so it may not provide much insight into how barley and/or hop harvests differ not only from each other, but from year to year. Still, the idea and the technology behind it seem pretty promising. Will be interested to see if any craft brewers pick it up. Though I doubt they have the type of necessary automation along their supply chain than Bud has.... We'll see.

5. crusian

crusian Pooh-Bah (1,989) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah

Sounds like an, oh crap... people are beginning to realize we are not american anymore. Lets think of something that will make them think that again... make it american. While interesting, i highly doubt it had anything to do with what we think is interesting or poignant... Just once again trying to desperatly plea to those that want their American beer, IMO.

6. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Cheers!

7. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

The fact that the big brewers take freshness more seriously than many craft brewers is the craft world's biggest shame.

8. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,415) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

More to the point (IMHO), do they really think the folks that are drinking bud care about "where" their beer came from? The article seems to make it pretty clear that this is just another marketing gimmick, one that AB-InBev hopes will revive lagging bud sales. While that's understandable, I just don't see a whole lot of folks buying a bud over some other macro swill, just so they go on-line, input the born on date, and find out what AB brewery made their swill, and what ingredients went into their swill to make it, ahem, so tasty.

happy4hoppybeer likes this.
  9. cbutova

cbutova Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

I guess it's kind of cool. I would probably use it like once and then never again though. Even if micro/craft breweries did this I would probably try it once or twice. I suppose it just doesn't peak my interest. End product is what I care about, where it came from, eh.

10. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

You need to get into this site and check it out. The amount of spin on here is giving me a buzz.

11. kevinv

kevinv Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2009 Texas

The majority of Bud drinkers likely do not care where their beer came from.

...or know how to operate a computer. :wink:

12. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Budweiser...? What is that?

13. happy4hoppybeer

happy4hoppybeer Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2009 Pennsylvania

Yawn, like BMC drinkers can actually give a shit where, when or how that swill is manufactured.

14. Mkgrenwel

Mkgrenwel Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2005 Maine

It's not rocket science. After the date there's two letters and two numbers. The first letter corresponds to the brewery location (M for Merrimack, NH; B for Baldwinsville, NY; N for Newark, NJ; etc). The second letter is the specific bottling or canning line it came off of. And the numbers represent the time of day it was packaged. If I recall correctly, they represent 15 minute intervals from 00-95.

I don't know all the brewery location codes, but you could probably guess most by looking at a list of the locations.

15. azorie

azorie Pooh-Bah (2,409) Mar 18, 2006 Florida
    Pooh-Bah

If you have an smartphone and you track bud on it, I feel for yea.
    :wink:

Takes some of the smart out if you ask me.

16. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Colorado

This is exactly right!! It's a shame craft brewers put so much effort and great ingredients in there beer but some could careless if we the consumer get old out of date beer:slight_frown:

17. Mkgrenwel

I punched in a made up code to see what the site said. It doesn't really tell you anything other than the brewery it came from and a bunch of marketing speak. It doesn't actually track the ingredients, just says where their ingredients are sourced from.

I also tried a code that would be out of date and it told me the beer was no longer fresh and gave me a link to contact them about it, which was kinda cool.

As you might expect, this it just an attempt to get people to interact with their marketing and to get into the "social networking" thing.

18. Mkgrenwel

I'm also pretty sure they're bullshitting you a little bit. This just pretends everything is a Budweiser. It's not linked to any database, it just reads the date and location. Go find yourself a Bud Light and it will tell you it's a Budweiser. The site is also a mess of horrendously slow flash garbage.

And, to save yourself the time, just from playing around for a few minutes:
    C - Columbus, OH
    H - Houston, TX
    S - St Louis, MO
    J - Jacksonville, FL
    F - Fairfield, CA

19. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Michigan

When a beer doesn't taste like it has hops in it, I will never be interested in where the hops came from.

20. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

CMUbrew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.