Where we've been (and where we are today)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RacerX5k, Jun 22, 2020.

1. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Disciple (391) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'm here tonight to talk about the most boring beer style in your world today. Post your story but mine is the most incredibly boring hop bill I've tasted lately, the SN Fantastic Haze. Not to pick on SN but to say Celebration Ale was and always will be my intro to craft, first love, and the beer I look forward to, every year.

So what bores you, these days? Me? That's ok. Say it out loud, advocates ... have a good night all. i will not be responding, and when the moderators delete my post, that's fine. But it's still true.

Junior and Amendm like this.
  2. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,781) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

I’m bored with big 12%-14% imperial stouts and barley wines. Not because I don’t love them, I do. But over the years I’ve collected several hundred bottles and most of them are these styles (I’m “down to” a little more than 200 bottles now). They’ve stayed in the cellar longer because they tend to age more gracefully. But now I’m at a point where I’m making a concerted effort to reduce my stockpile, and I just can’t drink these big beers every night. So it’s a nice problem to have but I wish I had more gueuze, wild, and Belgians in my cellar instead of all these big sticky sweet booze bombs.

BruChef, rocdoc1, MaximumYuks and 8 others like this.
  3. zid

zid Meyvn (1,179) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I have never been bored by a beer. I can’t even relate to the concept. Wise words: “Enjoy every sandwich.”

4. Amendm

Amendm Crusader (784) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Unflavored Berliner Weisse, I can see why the majority of them have some type of added fruit flavor. I am on the hunt for the new Berliner Weisse from von Trapp, so, I guess I like being bored on occasion.

Cheers.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  5. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (90) Nov 5, 2019 Canada

I never beat my head to the point of boredom. If I’m disinterested I move on immediately. If I’m slightly fatigued, I move on with the possibility of revisiting. This is a hobby, so we should never get/be bored. I agree with Zid on this point.

thesherrybomber and TheIPAHunter like this.
  6. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,449) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

"Mexican" lagers, whatever the hell they're supposed to be.

HoppingMadMonk likes this.
  7. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,594) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I'm not interested in sh*tting on beer or the brewers that make it. I'm interested in drinking it. :beers:

8. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (1,773) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society

@dcotom. that's what makes these threads funny, I really enjoy Mexican lagers. It's like arguing over who's favorite color is best, cant really win or lose

9. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Disciple (397) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

I don't think I've drank any one style for long enough to grow bored of it. Always something new or different to move onto. There are some I'm less enthusiastic of chasing down, or perceptions changed, but that's different.

Are there trends? Yes. I simply choose not to try/buy them.

Ya know, having Mexican ancestry, it is a tad strange to see all these new styles, ingredients, references.

pjbear05 and dcotom like this.
  10. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

11. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,379) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I'm bored of overpriced 4 packs of beer. $15.99 for 64 ounces of your "pilsner"? No thanks.

LarryV, Stignacious, BruChef and 12 others like this.
  12. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,290) Sep 24, 2007 Mayotte
    Society Trader

Murkbombs are boring. They all taste the same, and they're all ugly.

13. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,379) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

The negativity on this site is frustrating. When did beer stop being fun and exciting and turn into “I’m better than you because I drink this liquid and you have shit taste” honestly why do people truly give a fuck. Get a hobby or a life. I don’t care how brash I come across. Beer is about camaraderie.

#13 Urk1127, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  14. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,741) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

I think I'm finally getting bored with NEIPAs. I feel like when I first got into the style the hop flavors used to pop more and the last year or two the flavors from a lot of beers from different breweries don't seem as good as when I first had them. Maybe it's palate fatigue, maybe it's hop quality, brewer quality, other ingredients, etc. Maybe I've just had too many and I'm so used to the flavors from most hops that they don't excite me anymore. In most cases I'd still rather have a smooth juicy tropical citrus fruity NEIPA than a malty bitter pine bomb, but a good balance is enjoyable too.

15. oldmankoch

oldmankoch Disciple (346) Jan 1, 2014 Tennessee

I'm truly bored of being stuck at home and not traveling for work/beer. I always enjoyed the perk of seeking out liquid gold not available back here in TN. Hopefully that changes later this or early next year.

16. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

Maybe if you had a more refined palate you would understand... :grin:

I know sarcasm doesn't always translate so well over the internet so hopefully the emoji helped.

17. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,140) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I like what I like, no matter who makes it or what it's called. I basically drink pretty much the same beers, occasionally trying a new brewery or style once and a while. If being loyal to a style or brewer that you like is boring so be it. I'm not drinking to satisfy someone else's opinion of me or to tick beers off a list. Politics and rhetoric bore me.

18. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,537) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

But, but, but,...isn't discussing 'important matters' on BA a hobby!?!:confused:

Cheers!

19. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,957) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

You always make me wonder how you forced yourself to endure such awfulness. :grin:

It does make me think of things I really hate, though, and how funny it would be for me to say about them something like, "Damn, I can't stand watching that show the Walking Dead. Every single episode from every season just totally sucks." :grin:

20. JackHorzempa

Society

:confused:

Wait, so you have watched every episode of a series that you think sucks!?!:grimacing:

Do you torture yourself in other ways!?!:astonished:

Cheers!

21. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,932) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Just had an excellent one at Schilling last night and it was excellent. I am not a fan of them when they have fruit added. At Schilling they did have the option of adding a dose of Woodruff or Blackberry syrup for those that prefer them that way.

bwarner2015 and Amendm like this.
  22. Urk1127

I can tell without the emoji lol

BrewsOverHoes and traction like this.
  23. Urk1127

Maybe too broad a term. Beer is a great hobby. Cheers

FBarber, Thankin_Hank, Shanex and 3 others like this.
  24. JackHorzempa

Society

Amen to that!

Cheers to you sir!!

FBarber and Urk1127 like this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,957) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Of course I wouldn't. Who would? That was the point I was making (apparently not too well) :grin:

JackHorzempa likes this.
  26. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,683) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

The world of beer is pretty fickle. Whatever I don't like today will probably be different tomorrow and vice versa. I try to avoid getting too attached to anything.

MaximumYuks and Ranbot like this.
  27. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (225) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

For quite I while now I've been bored with almost every IPA I've had regardless of west coast or NEIPA. After 11 years of brewing and 13 years of drinking them every time I drink a beer all about the hops I can't help but think I've been there and done that.

I also get fairly bored with malt bombs but there are fewer of them.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Society

Whew! Good to know (I was worried).

Cheers!

29. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,588) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I can relate to the sentence “beer is a hobby”, but truth be told it’s also something I need, as in a bit of an addiction even though I don’t sample four 12% Impy Stout every evening.

Bored by a beer or a style? Not yet, there are a few (very few!) styles I steer clear of but it’s because of my palate. There are quite enough beer styles, enough variety in this world of beer and I’d feel a bit callous to complain.

30. JackHorzempa

Society

And the beauty of homebrewing is we can make anything we like! I have a Saison in the primary now but my most recent brews were:
    • English Bitter Ale
    • Oatmeal Stout
    • Belgian Dubbel
    • Kolsch
    • Reconstruction of 1896 Michelob (a Bohemian Pilsner)
    • Classic American Pilsner
    • Tmavý Ležák (Czech Dark Lager)
    For transparency reasons I should also mention that I have a Galaxy/Mosaic IPA conditioning right now. My wife is a HUGE hophead and she will never, ever get tired of IPAs. When I brew a batch of IPA (most recently a Sabro IPA) that batch is gone all too quickly.:grimacing:

Cheers!

31. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Meyvn (1,316) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Society

I remember when IPAs were gross and I wouldn't even try them. Now they are the most lust worthy beers on the planet hands down. I evolved. All Beers Matter. Some just matter more than others. Cheers BAs.

JayORear, traction and Shanex like this.
  32. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

2x 10% IPAs and 2x 12% imp stouts get the job done just as well. Or that is what a friend told me anyway.

Shanex likes this.
  33. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,059) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Sometimes I just want a big dark beer and I'll go get one or two. I still have some dark and cool Cantillons hidden away, but I do not collect beer like I do wine.

34. Amendm

Society

Schilling has disto in Southeast Mass. I've tried Alexandr 10 and Modernizm, both were great.
    I would try any Beer from them I see.
    Cheers.

jhavs likes this.
  35. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (128) May 28, 2008 Florida

I hear ya koch. For me part of planning a vaca was hitting BA and checking locations for restaurants and pubs. Already have some stops plotted out for a hopeful jaunt in Michigan later this year.

36. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,128) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

My palate has finally progressed to the point where I usually prefer lagers over ales, lower abv is better than higher, and the fewer the ingredients, the better. I'm sick of NEIPAs, milkshakes, pastry beers, lactose, cereal, etc., and I usually pass on almost everything over $16 a pack.
    However, I am not going to begrudge anyone else what makes them happy. If you want to buy a $24 pack of donut milkshake IPA...knock yourself out. I'll be over here drinking a pilsner.

Haha. Same. I'm still whittling down my cellar, but I actually want to drink a BA stout so infrequently it's going to take me years to drink it all.

Yeah. I remember when I first started trying NEIPAs about four years ago, they were the best thing in the world. A big part of me wonders if it's just hindsight bias, or if they actually did taste better then. They were a novelty at the time, but the pioneers that wrote the blueprints set the benchmark for the style, and since then, the imitators have constantly tried to up the ante by making them creamier, sweeter, and more dry hopped than ever before--which, consequently, ruined them in my opinion. Now so many of them are mediocre or downright bad. The whole hop burn thing turns me off so badly.
    But anyway, the best thing I got out of NEIPA-burnout is that now lagers are my favorite. I go crazy for a good, fresh pilsner or helles. I highly recommend you drink more lagers, man. It's been an eye-opening experience for me.

BruChef, rocdoc1, Ranbot and 4 others like this.
  37. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,741) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

I definitely try to balance my beers out, trimming down my cellar and working in some freshies. Had a Scrag Mountain Pils and a Trillium helles lager on Sunday. I'm with you on the lighter beers, as long as they have flavor. Sometimes I start sipping on a big beer and I wish it wasn't so big. Even a 8% NEIPA can be a bit heavy and much for me lately. I much enjoy a crisp refreshing beer nowadays, probably after neglecting a lot of lighter styles for so long. I love a nice cold witbier or lager when I need a refreshment. Problem is I have so many old bottles still I'm trying to work through, and then I would grab new beers from Trillium which I haven't really done since a delivery from them a month ago. I'm looking forward to the days of not having so much beer baggage and being able to walk into a store and grab a nice fresh pilsner or a hefeweizen or something more classic because I'm actually out of beer.

38. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,128) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

Agreed on the "flavor" part; however, I've also come to realize that many beers are dismissed as not being flavorful when the fact of the matter is that the flavors are simply more subtle and nuanced. Some of the most complex beers I've ever tried have been British styles like brown ales. There's so much going on with the combination of malts.
    Yeah, I don't drink much high abv beer anymore. Lately I've been passing on almost everything over 9%, even 8%. I'd much drink a 6% IPA than a 8% DIPA. I like being able to session flavorful, low abv far more than sip on the heavy huge hitters all night. Though I'm willing to admit that this might be partly due to warmer summer weather.

I hear you. I usually slowly drink my stronger beers over the course of several weeks, while always keeping some low abv, crushable beer like lagers, pale ales, wheat ales and goses on hand. And now you've reminded me how badly I want a witbier. I had Allagash White a few days ago and it was the best thing I've tasted in a long time. Florida Cracker is another one I need to get again.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  39. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,562) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Maybe not bored, but lately I just haven't enjoyed any IPAs, especially NEIPAs. It comes and goes though. I'll take a break and then eventually I'll go back and it'll be back to how it was.

40. Amendm

Society

Blonde Ales. Boring might not be the right word, some do think so.
    It's a laid-back style, the light version of pale ale. Not too hoppy, lighter malt bill.

I just had a nice one, Summer Ray's Golden Ale from Cisco Brewers of Nantucket, Massachusetts. Blonde/Summer/Golden Ales, perfect for hot weather and can replace white wine for food pairing.

Cheers.