Where would you go for a San Francisco beercation?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Groenebeor, Feb 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. munche

munche Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2007 California

Thirding this, and adding that the Anchor Brewery is one of the weirdest coolest breweries you'll see. It's built vertical so the beer flows down through different floors as it goes through the process, there's a room full of hops and they ferment in coolships because why not....really worth seeing.

2. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (558) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

I actually just booked a tour for two weeks from Monday as I have a friend coming in town and haven't done the tour yet myself. Can't wait!

munche likes this.
  3. soze47

soze47 Meyvn (1,181) May 22, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

I really appreciate the tip - I'm not paying, but my organization isn't such that the Marquis is in the cards. I've found a few other options that would fit the bill based off of your recommendation.

chcfan likes this.
  4. soze47

soze47 Meyvn (1,181) May 22, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Just wanted to follow-up - I stayed at the Phoenix hotel in the tenderloin. Great proximity to mikkeller, cellar maker, and city beer store. Also not far from many Bart stations and union square. At around $200 a night with free parking, it worked out pretty well. Maybe not for the light sleepers out there - they have a pretty cool bar and restaurant that goes into pool area of this old school motor lodge setup, so there is noticeable noise until later at night, but I got used to it.

Loved caller maker most of those three places. Amazing beers - too bad I only tried three since I was there for work. Had a sixer of swami iPa from pizza port and brought home a modern times dipa that I picked up at city beer store. Mikkeller was great too. Excellence all around.

5. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Initiate (177) Aug 30, 2013 California

Glad you enjoyed your visit.

6. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Devotee (411) Nov 10, 2007 California

Wait--Anchor charges $15 for tours now?? Wow. That's like infinity percent more than they used to charge. Not that it isn't worth it...

7. RogelioRodriguez

RogelioRodriguez Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2015 California

Personally I would do the Anchor experience because it's awesome, it brings you close to the beer and it's really fun. Lagunitas and Russian River are both crowded trendy spots. The beer is good, but you can just as well get some good craft beer at any of the nicer tap rooms in SF.

In other words I wouldn't drive to either. Magnolia is fun if you plan on being a tourist in the Haight...walk around, smell some dirty hippies and eat above average pub grub at Magnolia.

Yes Monks Kettle is also nice. City Beer is a good higher end bottle shop, get in and get out with your wallet. Gestalt Haus is a fun casual place if you just want some pub grub and a pint.

8. danscott

danscott Aspirant (206) Jul 15, 2006 California

No, it's the fact that you're giving travel advice on a city you've never visited that's 3000 miles away based upon beer you've had at your local grocery store.

It's nice to be helpful. In this case, you're not being helpful.

EricAnother and Brer_Rabbit like this.
  9. danscott

New owners realizing the cash cow they're sitting on. Plus, people flaked on their reservation every day when it was free. Now they have motivation to (a) show up and (b) not reserve a spot unless they're sure that they're going.

They also now serve far less beer than they used to. It's now approx $15 worth of beer, not an all-you-can-drink event for 90 minutes.

10. danscott

Thirsty Bear opened in 96. Magnolia, Beach Chalet and Speakeasy in 97.

I was there, maaaaaaaan. :slight_smile:

11. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Initiate (177) Aug 30, 2013 California

Thanks for the correction, appreciate it. I had no idea Thirsty Bear has been around that long.

12. chcfan

Trader

We did the tour for the first time on Monday and I wouldn't say it's even $15 worth of beer (6 samples) but the tour still well worth the $15. I will admit I'm kind of bummed to have missed the all you can drink days but we did the tour on empty stomachs so that might have been a good thing.

13. thuey

thuey Aspirant (299) Nov 13, 2015 California

When we went, they poured us ask we could drink. But they did say it was a relatively smaller crowd so that's likely why.

14. danscott

I'm amazed the Build-a-Bear factory across the street didn't have a breathalyzer at the door. We had far too much fun in there after tours.

reidjoshua and IceAce like this.
  15. MorningDew72

MorningDew72 Initiate (47) Aug 15, 2014 Washington
    Trader

Thanks for all the info posted.

I'm headed to SF middle to end of May. Quick question, whats the deal with Mikkeller bar? Looks like they serve it in the best possible manner (right temp and glassware, handled properly) but why do they charge so much $$$ for their beer? I've had a few of their beers and was very underwhelming especially given the price. It was like $9 for a 12 oz bottle of beer geek breakfast once and I don't know why I got it but it was just another coffee stout hundreds of other breweries are making. Seems like the owner is on a high horse. Also got a spontanwhitegrape beer and it was awful and also very expensive.

Looks like they have a good draft list but Im hesitant to pay those kind of prices.

16. AndresR

AndresR Aspirant (215) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Trader

Because SF. Oh, its also Mikkeller.

17. spark3148857

spark3148857 Meyvn (1,028) Dec 4, 2010 California
    Society

Sadly AndresR is right...it's SF. Just go to Cellarmaker, load up on Almanac bottles if you want sours (widest selection I've seen is WF Noe Valley), and fill in the gaps with the taps at City Beer, Beer Hall, and WF Soma.

18. MorningDew72

Trader

Yeah, just seems way more expensive than most places are. I'd rather go to rare barrel and pay $6-7 for a 10 oz than chance another Mikkeller beer at an even higher price (well it depends on the style), I'm kinda writing them off just because I can get so many great beers that aren't ultra premium price. I saw a 4 pack of 12 oz of their pilsner for $12 at a whole foods, give me a break. I'd rather get a 6 pack of pilsner urquel for cheaper any day than pay that kind of price for a 4 pack of pilsner.

I tried 3-4 Cellarmaker beers at Beer Craft in Rohnert Park and thought they were all very solid beers, only one I remember was 7 wonders. Definitely making it there.

Won't have time to make it to SARA this time. I had a bottle of farmhouse noir which I enjoyed but was kind of expensive. Also had a cellarman at a recent event in Seattle. I'd love to try some more of their beer in the future.

If there is one bottle I would splurge on at a beer bar, it would be beatification. I want to taste the spontaneous character of RR, I hear they generally are very acidic. I think consecration and supplication actually have a small amount of beatification blended in to make them more acidic.

19. chcfan

Trader

Mikkeller doesn't just serve their own beers. Their prices are about as high as it gets, but they do always have one of the best lists in town on the strength of their non-Mikkeller beers.

rrryanc likes this.
  20. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (224) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina

That's one bottle you'll likely never find at a beer bar. And I don't think you're right in regards to them blending Beat into Consecration and Supplication.

21. MorningDew72

Trader

True that on the non Mikkeller offerings.

I think I heard about this on the sour hour with Vinnie, Jean Van Roy (Cantillon) and Rob and Jason from Allagash, don't have the time to relisten any time soon to confirm but it was a great interview I highly recommend. They discuss a blend of all 3 of their spontaneously fermented beer they made and go into a lot of intricate details about their own processes.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/the-sour-hour-episode-11/

I'm pretty sure this is when Vinnie said they blend in a small portion of beatification to supplication and consecration to get the acidity up in those beers.

Again, I highly recommend giving it a listen! Good stuff

22. Original_Fake

He said they blended in some beer to an early Temptation to change the acidity but didn't say it was Beat. It would surprise me if they used Beat in Supplication or Consecration.

23. MorningDew72

Trader

I had to relisten to make sure I wasn't crazy :astonished: haha.

at 34 minutes he talks about blending then says this: "we use a lot of Sonambic to bring up acidity in other beers like temptation, supplication, and consecration. Those beers will often have Sonambic blended into them." I guess technically beatification is a blend of 10 barrels of sonambic, what they call their spontaneously fermented beer, but might as well be the same thing.

24. Original_Fake

Hah. I listened too and somehow missed that part and only heard the other part. Who knew.

25. MorningDew72

Trader

It's one of those small tidbits that gets lost in a sea of information :slight_smile:

26. howopeeps

howopeeps Initiate (196) Mar 7, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

going to San Francisco in June for a couple nights. Looking for a good places to stay in the city area. easy to walk to cellar maker and other places. Also anyone been to half moon bay co.

27. JayORear

JayORear Champion (885) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Trader

Not cheap (there's no more cheap in downtown SF), but Hotel Zetta is a great choice. Try AirBnb, too.

28. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (868) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

If your looking for cheap > Hotwire.com the north airport location. Your a cheap Uber/Lyft ride to Cellermaker and the Bart is close walking distance from there. Our last visit we stayed at the Residence Inn airport location for $99. Spent half day in and around Chinatown/Cellermaker area.

29. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (568) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

Not cheap either but Mandarin Oriental is nice

30. BeersandBread

BeersandBread Aspirant (202) Jan 20, 2016 California
    Trader

I've never been but I hear the Four Seasons is really nice. I'm pretty sure it's reasonably priced.

31. JayORear

JayORear Champion (885) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Trader

Along those lines, the really good deals are in Marin, just over the GG Bridge. Four Points San Rafael is pretty cheap, plus you're 45 minutes from Russian River Brewing.

32. AndresR

AndresR Aspirant (215) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Trader

Check the site BeerbyBart.com

Then maybe find some spots off a Bart station?

33. danscott

Yes, they're quite good, certainly worth checking out. They're a restaurant with a brewery so their beer styles are fairly standard, but they also bottle ones that lean more experimental.
    And Hop Dogma is nearby, they are fantastic and are cutting edge.
    AND it's a nice part of the coast to check out, not far at all from SF and traffic is generally not an issue.

34. rrryanc

rrryanc Aspirant (286) May 19, 2006 California

You and I have had different beers from HMB Brewing. It's a great location - I would not go back for the beer.

35. thuey

thuey Aspirant (299) Nov 13, 2015 California

I remember trying HMB's attempt at a NE IPA, and thought it was probably the best beer I've had from them. Their other stuff was mostly pretty mediocre when I visited.

Hop Dogma was a pleasant surprise! Although, I wasn't a big fan of their Silly Gimmick NE IPA. They'll probably get better if they stick with the style, but right now their WC stuff is great.

36. EricAnother

EricAnother Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2016 California

Never been a huge fan of HMB--bar food and ordinary beers. There's enough better beer in the city that I wouldn't drive that far for just HMB. But... you can make an afternoon of it and hit up HMB, Sacrilege, and Hop Dogma, all within 15ish driving minutes of each other. We were at Hop Dogma last weekend and really liked the cherry sour and the Silly Gimmick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.