Which beer myth most annoys you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by psnydez86, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kodt

kodt Zealot (596) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

Yeah, what does "know more about beer" even mean?

Homebrewers would know more about the process of how beer is made, but that doesn't necessarily mean they know what the top whalez are, or follow every limited bottle release from all the top rated breweries on BA. I know some people who do homebrew and make some really good beers, but if I told them I scored a Blaebaer or Fou Foune, they would have no idea what I was talking about.

Or you could have a Cicerone Certification and be an expert on tasting beer, but have never homebrewed or atteneded any "whale tasting" events. While someone who trolls BA all day might know about all the "whalez" and all the sold out beer events.

It depends on what your definition of "beer knowledge" is.

Stugotzo likes this.
  2. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

Precisely my point. Thank you for saving me having to type it all out though.:wink:

Put another way, does "3letters3numbers" think that a guy on the assembly line in Detroit knows more about cars because he puts them together, than say a race car driver who just "uses" them?

3. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

Ummm...you "explained" but I still dont see how "Lambic brewers do open fermentation" is a myth. Spontaneous fermentations have to be open, at least in part, or the yeast wouldnt ever get there.

4. 3letters3numbers

3letters3numbers Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2012 Pennsylvania

I don't mean to offend you or any other non-homebrewer (I am one), but that's not the greatest analogy. The difference is that homebrewers are making their beer AND tasting them. We are the drivers, a homebrewer is basically the mechanic AND driver. A non-homebrewer can drink beer and read about it. A homebrewer can drink it, read about it, and experiment to see firsthand what effects certain techniques/ingredients/equipment have on the finished product.

I'm not saying you can't know a lot about beer without making it yourself. I'm just saying that with everything else being equal, the one who makes their own beer is probably going to know more than the one who doesn't. Hopefully I'm not causing a threadjack.

teal and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  5. seanyfo

seanyfo Savant (952) Jan 2, 2006 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Gotta love those Inverurie Peaty Ales :wink:

6. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,895) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Yes. Plus we need to taste what's around to know what is trending, study history to know the roots of style, be good at tasting so we can be good at making a recipe, etc. etc.

7. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,486) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

All spontaneous is open in the coolship overnight. Not all open is spontaneous.

sergeantstogie likes this.
  8. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2011 Colorado

When I ask about a beer I simply want to know about the beer. Classifying me as a beer nerd, geek, or the classic just drink it are quite annoying. Can't I simply want to know about a beer without being judged/ classified or told to drink it.

9. hopfenunmaltz

Generalizations are not inclusive. I know what Blaeber is but have not had it. I have had Fou Foune many times, gave the last bottle to some friends as a hostess gift. They are both Cicerones and brew outstanding beer at home. One time at Cantillon Jean was pitting apricots with 2 other guys for, maybe you can guess, Fou Foune! The last time we were there talked, and he said his father, Jean Pierre, remembered me from the times before.

Have you been to breweries around the US, plus Britain, Belgium, Germany,and the Czech Republic? I have, as a homebrewer I want to sample beers in their home location, as fresh as possible.

10. hopfenunmaltz

More like open in most breweries is not spontaneous?

11. hopfenunmaltz

Many race Car Drivers are just shoes. A few know a little about what they are experiencing, and can relate that to their engineers, who then know what to do. One team I consulted with said they believed the stopwatch, not the driver. The driver would say it was really good and he was at the front, but in reality a the back. Once the driver said o the radio the car was trying to kill him, and he was told you just made the pole.

Some of the guys hanging parts on cars are making a living, where ever they work, what ever country. Some are into cars and build show cars in their spare time. I live inSE Mi, and do not underestimate the talent around here. Ever hear of something called the Dream Cruise?

Edit - do you think everyone at a brewery know about how to make whales? Some drive a fork truck, some run the keg or bottling line. All honest work.

12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,679) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I wouldn't exactly say it that way. Homebrewing is a fantastic way of accelerating your knowledge and understanding of many things about beer (particularly its flaws :wink:)- though I wouldn't call it an essential path.

13. BogleHill

BogleHill Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2010 Massachusetts

It's not the beer that tastes metallic. It's the can.

14. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

So don't drink the can.

Kahless, 77black_ships and Dracarys like this.
  15. jollygoodfellow

jollygoodfellow Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 Wisconsin

That you should never stray from the beer [brand or style] that you started the day with?
    More than a myth it's just WRONG.

16. EBeckett3

EBeckett3 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 New Jersey

That beer isn't the key to civilization. From thr epic of Gilgamesh

"They placed food in front of him,
    they placed beer in front of him;
    Enkidu knew nothing about eating bread for food,
    and of drinking beer he had not been taught.
    The harlot spoke to Enkidu, saying:
    "Eat the food, Enkidu, it is the way one lives.
    Drink the beer, as is the custom of the land."
    Enkidu ate the food until he was sated,
    he drank the beer-seven jugs!-- and became expansive and sang with joy!
    He was elated and his face glowed.
    He splashed his shaggy body with water,
    and rubbed himself with oil, and turned into a human."

17. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (538) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Some of the stupidest things I've heard about beer history came from homebrewers.

18. patto1ro

Talking of which, it's amusing to see how many reviewers tasted peat or smoke in Pretty Things No. 1. It contains no malt darker than crystal and definitely no peated malt.

FinbarrSaunders likes this.
  19. patto1ro

The beer history that's passed around by homebrewers and homebrewing books is in many cases 100% myth.

20. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,895) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Brewers may have read the "wrong books", but saying it is a myth that they don't know beer better than most others is pretty much silly(yes, I know you didn't say that, but it is the root of what you replied to).

The ones brewers are compared to read the same books, or only read books, or didn't read books at all. IMO the ones who create things that require the kind of specialized knowledge that brewing requires by definition know more about it than others.

21. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Initiate (0) May 18, 2011 Illinois

That imported beer is better than American beer. (I guess I can't get too mad at this fallacy because I used to believe it).

22. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,679) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well...the people who believe that are usually comparing stuff like Heineken and St. Pauli Girl to Bud and Miller, so they're not that far off in that context.

23. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

That craft is not American beer.

24. Floski

Floski Initiate (134) Jan 15, 2006 South Carolina
    Trader

I know it's been mentioned on this thread, but I hate the "beer is better when it's served in a frozen glass" theory. My neighbor does that every time he drinks, and in order to avoid it (the few times he's actually offered), I just bring my own.

25. shuggy

shuggy Initiate (146) Dec 22, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

How exactly does sales of Bud Light change the fact that most beers are mediocre at best and thusly over-rated on this site?

26. rlcoffey

???

I proved that the volume weighted average on this site is under 3. That was my only point. Assuming that 3 is supposed to be the average beer sold in America (lots of questionable asusmptions in that assumption), then, AS A WHOLE, this site is under-rating. Whether specific individual beers are under or over rated is not my concern.

27. MrIncognito

MrIncognito Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2008 Virginia

Same annoyance on my end! People always say this to me. I was just in Vermont and asked a relative to bring me home some Heady Topper in her car since I was flying home and didn't want to check a bag. She said she couldn't bring it home because she didn't have a fridge and we couldn't find the beer already unrefigerated. I explained it didn't matter but she demanded it would be spoiled by the time she got it to me. Ahhhh! So frustrating. I still don't know whether or not she decided to pack some for me

psnydez86 likes this.
  28. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Poo-Bah (4,604) Oct 8, 2007 New York
    Society

The best British brewery is Samuel Smith.
    Guinness is the same everywhere.
    America is the "best" brewing nation in the world.
    Cask ale is warm/flat/for old men.

29. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

I gotta say I haven't heard any of those.

Besides... aren't those merely opinions, and not really myths anyway? :astonished:

30. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2006 Alabama

"X" beer is worse than it used to be / has gone downhill / never recovered after the brewery caught fire.

My experience with this is Old Rasputin. It was the first big RIS I ever had, and it turned my world upside down. I drank it all the time, then took a break from it to drink other styles (went on a Belgian kick), came back to Raspy and thought it was watery and not what it had been.

I didn't drink Raspy for about 18 months, then came across a bottle and thought "what the heck". It was just as awesome as I remembered it from originally.

The beer hadn't changed. *I* had changed. My tastes evolved, I was drinking other things, mood, time of year, etc, all play a role in your enjoyment of the beer. Yes, there will be some variations from batch to batch, but most of the time the beer hasn't changed - *you* have.

31. DNICE555

DNICE555 Crusader (795) Aug 13, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

That's not a myth silly... it's true according to the website you are posting on.

BeerAdvocate's Top 250 Beers, as rated by our users.

Top 250 Beers
    WR Reviews
    1 [​IMG] Heady Topper
    American Double / Imperial IPA / 8.00% ABV
    The Alchemist
    4.7 4263

GoPickItUpBro likes this.
  32. shuggy

Trader

Since this site doesn't take sales volume into account AS A WHOLE it is over-rating. That was my concern.

33. rlcoffey

My point, way back when, is that when judging the averages, we should be taking sales volume into account to calculate the average properly.

And then you challenged me to prove my claim, and I did.

34. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Washington

Neither one of those is a myth. If you go to the top of the page there is the option to click on Inbox, then Start a New Conversation.

jhavs and SGToliver like this.
  35. rlcoffey

Back on page 5, he claimed a myth "That the overwhelming majority of beers in the database here are somehow above average."

We are still discussing whether that myth is true or not.

36. shuggy

Trader

Why is sales volume needed to calculate the average properly?

37. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Devotee (490) Jan 11, 2011 Minnesota

It circles back to the meaning of the word "average". The average serving of beer in the US, presuming a correlation between sales and consumption, rates less than 3.

38. Morey

Morey Meyvn (1,103) Dec 30, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

When you tell someone that you don't drink BMC and you prefer craft beer, and they say.... "Oh, you like those dark beers".

hopnado, jrnyc, Brolo75 and 2 others like this.
  39. msween21

msween21 Initiate (162) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

That there aren't any East Coast beers worth drinking.

Wiffler27 and Prfctchckn like this.
  40. SGToliver

SGToliver Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2012 Washington

its not really a myth but what bugs me is when people pronounce lambic as lamb-bick.

Also, that a beer that is actually good should cost $19.99 or more for a bottle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.