Which brewery has the best food?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Sep 20, 2022.

1. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,533) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I think the title explains it, but what brewery has the best food (food trucks don’t count)? I have to go with Lost Nation in Morrisonville, Vt. Just outstanding food I had both times I’ve eaten there. I’ve heard Heist in Charlotte, NC has good food (based on word of mouth, I’ve never been there however). Pretzels at Schilling in Littleton, NH were pretty awesome.

Blogjackets, Rug, Trull and 5 others like this.
  2. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,623) Aug 12, 2007 California
    Society Trader

I think that's an impossible task for me, personally. There's too many brewers in existence to answer definitively. Perhaps we have a BA member that's been to upwards of 75% or more. I've had some decent food at Tired Hands, but nothing to write home about. Tilted Barn once had some memorable eats from one of the food trucks, but I can't recall the name. Cheers!

3. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (589) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Since I've visited every brewery in the world that serves food, like everyone else here ,i would say ......

4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,997) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Some local/regional nominees from around me: Ghostfish, Seattle; North Fork, Deming; Meatheads, Lake Stevens; Boundary Bay, Bellingham; Temperate Habits, Mount Vernon.

5. bubseymour

Society Trader

I meant what is the best food you’ve had at a brewery if my OP wasn’t clear on that.

Blogjackets and Sheppard like this.
  6. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,827) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

@PapaGoose03 Tom is the closest we’ve got. Hopefully he weighs in.

Me personally, I like bar food. If you got burgers and wings I’ll probably go home and tell my wife it was the “best food ever”. Cheers.

7. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (486) Mar 5, 2014 New York

Lost Nation in VT definitely has great food. Have enjoyed lunch there twice on drive to HF

Suarez in NY had great fresh pretzels, I think you can still pickup with beer, been few years since been there

Some breweries are basically restaurants now, so probably guessing in most areas can find someplace with great food that also brews beer. Although a great restaurant with awesome tap/bottle list to me is just as good

Blogjackets and ChicagoJ like this.
  8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,678) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I was just looking a his thread and wondering what the answer might be. I have probably eaten a meal at over 300 breweries, but digging the memorable events from my brain will be a challenge. I might have to go back for a second look at my reviews. That'll take some time. :thinking_face:

Will advise later.

9. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,827) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Take your time Oh Wise One. We patiently await your advisement.

10. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,798) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I love pretzels and there's something great about simple food that's done very well, but two mentions of pretzels in the first few posts is not a good sign about great food at breweries. :slight_smile:

11. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (474) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

in NE -- sacred profane blew me away last week w their Schnitzel sandwich. trill fort point also has some killer food

Blogjackets, Sheppard and ChicagoJ like this.
  12. monstershu

monstershu Initiate (79) Jun 10, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

Objectively? Two “breweries” have gotten Michelin stars - Band of Bohemia and Moody Tongue.

I personally hated both the food and the beer at BoB, and Moody Tongue is/was waaaay too expensive to try.

Subjectively? Any place that has a burger/beer special.

#12 monstershu, Sep 21, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  13. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (10,032) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I've been to Portsmouth Brewing Co. in Portsmouth, NH several times over the years while traveling on business and always loved the food.

Fegley's Brewworks in Allentown used to be really good but then their Chef eventually left. That particular location was also in BeerAdvocate Magazine several years ago and was recognized as having outstanding food. (The meatloaf was to die for.) However, I know we're talking about the present but had to throw the Fegley's thing in.

14. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (88) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Trader

A couple that come to mind are The Bull and Bush in Denver and Sierra Nevada in Asheville.

15. BikeChef

BikeChef Defender (621) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society

Tröegs - Hershey, PA. Have had really good food here. Remembering duck confit...

Deep City - Foam's restaurant next to their brewery in Burlington, VT.

Brewery Bhavana - Raleigh, NC

#15 BikeChef, Sep 21, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  16. bring

bring Initiate (86) Aug 17, 2005 Greenland
    Trader

The OG Alchemist brewpub in Waterbury, may it rest in peace.

Blogjackets, Sheppard and ChicagoJ like this.
  17. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,305) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The food at Sierra Nevada Mills River is very good.....

18. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,030) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I have had good food at Troegs, love the hop fries. Human Robot, Philly location has great sandwiches. Cant think of others that are still open. Most are trucks or bring in your own.

Suarez did have a good pretzel, and bread. Oh, the beer was quite nice too.

Enjoy

Blogjackets, WunderLlama and ChicagoJ like this.
  19. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (748) Mar 28, 2009 California

OG Alpine.

next up locally to me is docent. Their Korean Rueben is amazing! Also, their Cubano with pork, ham, Swiss etc is also delicious.

20. GetMeAnIPA

How could I forget beachwood bbq!

baby back ribs, brisket, vanilla pecan sweet potatos, and blue cheese grits, so good!

21. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Zealot (542) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Two Goats on Seneca lake, I believe, has the most amazing roast beef sandwich.. its the only thing on the menu too iirc

Will also second SN in Mills River, NC… place is incredible overall and the food is really good.

22. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (451) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

No longer in business, but, Stoudt's Black Angus restaurant used to be great!
    Authentic German food, Ed's famous spent grain bread, raw bar on weekends.
    During beerfest, they put out the Best of the Wurst buffet. Yumz!
    A buffet during beerfest was a beautiful thing. If you got in good with a brewery, and bought a glass, they would fill it up for you so you had a full beer to wash the food down with.
    I know Rubber Soul is doing something in their old spot, but their beer blows in my opinion, at least compared to the ORIGINAL Stoudt's.
    Most breweries I've been to recently just don't wow me much as far as the food goes.
    Erie Brewing Company was pretty good 10 years ago. The brewery is beautiful, in an old train station.
    Victory used to be pretty good, but I have not been there in a very long time.
    For the most part, I've been less than impressed as of late with brewery food.
    Golden Avalanche in Kutztown Pa served me an ice cold crab & pretzel melt, so definitely NOT them!

23. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (451) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Iron Hill was very good now that I think of it, but on the pricey side.

24. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,849) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Have always been quite impressed with the food at Great Notion and Sierra Nevada. But if I only get to pick a single food item, give me Pliny Bites from the RR Santa Rosa pub.

25. bubseymour

Society Trader

I completely forgot about Two Goats, yeah the roast beef is great. So are the views of the lake, maybe the best views in all of the FingerLakes.

26. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,479) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Came here to write what was just written before me: Beachwood (BBQ chicken nachos like you've never had), and Russian River (a number of menu items). The best burger I've had on the East Coast is at Barley Creek Brewing in the Poconos. Their beer is serviceable, not great, but that burger . . . sigh. Have had some special dishes at the OG Brewpub at Tired Hands, but it's been years. The Fermentarium there is average to subpar.

27. JoeSpartaNJ

JoeSpartaNJ Initiate (71) Feb 5, 2008 New Jersey

I remember the grilled cheese sandwich at the original Burlington Beer Co location being absolutely amazing.

28. milkshakebeersucks

milkshakebeersucks Meyvn (1,282) Feb 10, 2020 Maryland
    Society

I like to explore the Places feature here on BA. If I want to know more after reading the reviews I'll tap on the map, then the venue and then the photos. There are usually plenty of the food. Plus you get a feel for the vibe of the location.

29. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,812) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

In CO. I think the Bull & Bush takes the cake. For hearty pub-style food, it doesn't get much better. There aren't a lot of other CO. breweries that serve food, so they don't have a lot of competition either. Mainly just old school "brewpubs" like the Wynkoop, Coopersmith's, Glenwood Canyon, etc. While those can be good, there's a wide gap.

My main memory of Portland was that pretty much ALL the breweries served food. It was mostly fantastic across the board, too. Great Notion's original location was probably my overall favorite, but the brewery food game up there is extremely strong.

If we're going international, I don't think Augustiner Salzburg can be topped. They have like 10 food vendors cranking out everything under the sun. Everything is great and super affordable, too.

30. GetMeAnIPA

Sierra Nevada does have good food and their beer cheese and pretzel is so good.

31. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (160) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

The Breweries in NJ are not allowed to sell or serve food. One of the brewpubs (Trap Rock) is actually a high-end white table cloth restaurant that serves excellent food.

Blogjackets, ChicagoJ and Harrison8 like this.
  32. IKR

IKR Savant (914) May 25, 2010 California
    Trader

For my area I'll take Beachwood BBQ. My son's are older than 21 and enjoy a good IPA now, but even when they were much younger, I could easily get everyone to go there for a family meal and they're kind of snobby food wise. We've also always enjoyed The Firestone Walker Tasting Room in Paso.

33. shadyside

shadyside Disciple (398) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia

Not made at the brewery, but Crooked Can Brewing in Winter Garden, FL is part of a large food hall. Lots of great selections and variety of beer and food.

34. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,849) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

I should've added that to my list too, just simply for the Hangover Brunch after FWIBF.

35. jgido759

jgido759 Disciple (352) Oct 7, 2014 New Jersey

In my very limited travels to breweries, I would have to agree with Tröegs in Hershey, PA and add Jack's Abby in Framingham, MA. Both places impresses me with the quality of the food that they offer. . .

36. NorsemanOne

NorsemanOne Initiate (182) Sep 17, 2021 Utah
    Society Trader

I can only speak for Local breweries, but for;
    NM I recommend Red River Brewing
    UT I recommend Strap Tank or Red Rock

37. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,479) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good to know about Troegs, have been meaning to get out there sometime.

38. bubseymour

Society Trader

Myself included. I tried to visit the Hershey location when they first moved in there (7-10 years ago?), and the tasting room was packed so I just got beers to-go on that stop. I’ll have to go back and try again.

39. meanmutt

meanmutt Meyvn (1,435) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Society Trader

Best I've had was at Sierra Nevada Mills River.

40. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (539) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

There are so many breweries and this makes for a challenging evaluation even on a local level. The nice thing is that you have plenty of choices, some with full serve, some with bar food, small bites or pizza, places that allow food to be brought in or food trucks.
    As a beer nerd there's always an option if I'm making the dinner plans or recommending something based on the vibe of the crowd or person I'm with and it's great to be able to share good food AND good beer.
    My only pet peeve is the brewer that I always hear about how good the food is but never the beer itself or have been to where the food is great and the beer is MEH.
    In that case, I'm sorry you can keep the great food, I'll pivot to a place that checks all the boxes which leads me back to the litany of choices to be had locally and beyond.