Which brewery is closest to you and which do you wish was closest?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mrstiffington, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (104) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

This topic just came to me and I thought it might be interesting. Anyway, the closest brewery to me geographically just a couple miles away is a new place called Village Brewing in Somerville, NJ. It’s more of a corporate place but my wife and I have had fun drinking and playing cornhole with friends. There are many that I wish were closer but the brewery I wish was closest would probably be Rushing Duck in NY. I always want to go but it’s just a bit too far away for a casual visit. You?

bwarner2015, Amendm, Whinsen and 8 others like this.
  2. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (68) Feb 3, 2019 California

Fieldwork is the closest, but I wish Alvarado Street was closer. Luckily, we have good distro in the area; cans and on tap, but I always enjoy a visit to ASB in Salinas.

3. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (936) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

The closest Brewery to me is Untied in New Providence NJ about 1+1/2 miles away. The next closest is Twin Elephant in Chatham NJ is about 2 miles away. Twin Elephant is the better brewery but at only1/2 a mile closer what is the point. The NJ brewery I wish was closer is Brotherton. I wish Sierra Nevada was closer bot that is a pipe dream.

4. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (396) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I think there was something 6 month or a year ago with a similar topic.
    For me... it depends on if you include brewpub / restaurants (that brew their own) or just breweries. If including brewpubs, there's 2 a stone's throw from each other - John Harvard's and Beer Works. I prefer JH, so I consider that the closest.
    Besides that, it's Strange Brewery / Tackle Box (they share a space) about 10 minutes away.
    Jack's Abby is a similar distance but takes longer to get to.
    There really aren't ones I wish were closer - though any number that I wish I could easily get.

Sheppard and Mrstiffington like this.
  5. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,795) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Closest from home is River Roost. Closest from work is Hill Farmstead. I tend to leave work an hour or so early on HF release days.

6. Mrstiffington

Trader

Damn, you lucky

7. zid

zid Meyvn (1,356) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

The closest by me is 2.5 miles away, and it's a nondescript looking new brewery with a tacky name that I've never been to. I should make a point to go. Places like it seem to be popping up faster than I can keep track of. It's hard to care.

Which do I wish was close? Uh, I don't know, Harvey's I guess.

8. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (740) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Neshaminy creeks newest location is 2.2 miles away. Very loud and poor service. I won’t go anymore.

Wish Forest and Main were closer, like a block away.

Enjoy

JA_26, rudiecantfail and TongoRad like this.
  9. Mrstiffington

Trader

I stopped in to Forest and Main on my way back from soccer in PA last summer. Nice place. Didn’t stay but bought some cans - really good saisons and IPAs. That’s another place I wish were closer.

10. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,120) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Silver Branch, then Denizens and Astrolab for the tie, as there have been many new breweries in the Silver Spring area of Maryland of late. Silver Spring is a nearby Maryland burb "city" (depends on who you talk to) that hugs the Washington D.C. border.

which brewery do I wish was closer to me?

Cantillon.

11. rozzom

rozzom Champion (852) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Closest is Other Half which I’m pretty happy about

Wish it was closer NY state - Suarez. Nationally - Hill Farmstead

12. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,802) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Evil Czech (3.8 miles) followed closely by Bare Hands (4.5 miles).

Three Floyds, Bell's, and Founders are all between 90 minutes - 2 hours away, and I definitely wish they were closer.

My fantasy "I wish it was closer" is Russian River - I'd like to make my trek to PtY a little bit more logistically feasible.

micada, Mrstiffington and PapaGoose03 like this.
  13. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,175) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Closest to us is Berkshire Brewing and we love them.
    Wish Blaugies was closer
    Cheers

14. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (509) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Closest is Elation. If Reaver Beach (Norfolk) ever opens it'll be the 2nd closest.

Don't really have a wish for what I wish was closest/closer, I'm not particularly faithful to any brewery. I don't mind driving to Veil Norfolk or Benchtop for can releases, not that far away.

Mrstiffington likes this.
  15. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,532) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Territorial Brewing is about 5 miles away and I really like going there because I like their German-inspired beers and food as well as the owners, so without soundling like I'm betraying them, I wish Bell's was just a little closer. It's only 20 miles away, so I get there on a regular basis, but not as frequently as I'd like.

Lahey, ovaltine and Mrstiffington like this.
  16. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,081) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The closest brewery to me is Yale Terrace. And I’ve been there only once! But there is one in the works that will be closer when it opens and couldn’t possibly be any worse.

I would prefer Kane to be closer. Normally I’d say Carton, but their distribution is infinitely superior to that of Kane, so I go with the one who only recently started making their beers (and only their three flagship pale ales) available to me locally.

#16 TheGent, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  17. rozzom

rozzom Champion (852) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Having YT close to you is almost like a badge of honor. Sort of like having a fuck off huge scar. “That guy got unlucky but he survived - good for him”

Rocktire, Mrstiffington and TheGent like this.
  18. JTW10

JTW10 Initiate (63) Nov 25, 2013 Pennsylvania

Grew up less than a mile from Forest and Main, I stop by there when visiting my parents. For me it was Neshaminy Creek (5-10 minute drive) until recently, now I believe it’s 2SP or Tired Hands. I wish some north Jersey breweries were closer to Philly (Kane/Carton/Twin Elephant)

Mrstiffington and TheGent like this.
  19. TheGent

Society Trader

I’m drinking a Twin Elephant English Porter right now. :wink:

If Kane and Carton are North Jersey then I must live in New Foundland.

20. Mrstiffington

Trader

I was thinking the same thing - I’m 45 minutes from the NY/NJ border and Kane is 50 min south of me. Weird to think of them as north Jersey!

TheGent likes this.
  21. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,155) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Village Brewing in Somerville is also the closest to me. I've been a couple of times and it's fine, nothing amazing. The space is huge and oddly set up and the menu is geared more towards fine dining than pub food.

Two places I wish were closer to me are Suarez and Forest & Main. If I had both of those breweries within a 30 min drive I honestly wouldn't need anything else.

22. TheGent

Society Trader

I’m just lucky I survived after drinking their nasty ass beers. Literally.

rozzom and Mrstiffington like this.
  23. Reef

Reef Defender (694) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Society

I can fall down my back steps, bounce once, and land on a microbrewery in a building that used to be a printing company, Cottontown Brew Lab.
    I wish that I lived closer to Creature Comforts, as I never seem to be in their distribution footprint.

zid and Mrstiffington like this.
  24. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (692) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Magnify is probably the closest Brewery to me distance wise. Of Breweries I've been to that I wish were closer that would easily be Treehouse. Of Breweries I want to visit that I have not yet that i wish were closer I would have to say Hill Farmstead and Russian River.

25. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,993) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Red Oak, is like 5 minutes away.

I’d love to have HF in my backyard, unless your in Greensboro Bend, that’s not the case. And how many live there? Wow, that would be seriously great.

mikeinportc and Mrstiffington like this.
  26. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,129) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

I've got some reasonable small breweries that you've probably never heard of close to me. Little House Brewing is 0.6 miles from home and we have a great relationship with the owners and employees. 30 Mile Brewing is 0.3 miles from work. We have a good relationship there also because we did some engineering to get them off the ground.
    High Nine Brewery just opened this Wednesday 0.8 miles from home. We went for the 1st time yesterday afternoon.....two great beers, two mediocre ones. We will see how they play out, I discount any establishment's first month as "getting their act together time".
    As far as breweries I would hypothetically like closer... its a long list, but here are some that come to mind-
    • If HFS was an hour away, not five I would easily visit once a month.
    • If SN SC was 3 hrs away I would visit at least twice a year
    • I can't even think about TH being in my neighborhood. That would ruin me.
    • If if if.... my list could go on and on, there are a lot of great places far from me in 2019.

sulldaddy and Mrstiffington like this.
  27. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Crusader (782) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Closest : Mayflower
    I wouldn't mind Treehouse a few miles down the road.

28. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,301) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I live about a mile and a half from Treppenhaus Brewing, which no one - including me, until about a month ago - ever heard of. It is a "production-only, small-batch nanobrewery." They apparently brew several different styles of beer, including a Cascadian dark ale which I hope to find. They also produce a couple of dry ciders. Not bad for a storefront operation in a tiny indoor mall. Lark Brewing and SingleSpeed are also only minutes from where I live.

I sometimes wish Toppling Goliath and New Glarus were closer, but then I ask myself, "Do I really need that?" :wink:

PapaGoose03 and Mrstiffington like this.
  29. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Disciple (351) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Triskelion Brewing, which is always a favorite of mine. Do wish I lived close to Bells or Founders, I'd love to visit them eventually. Need to find a reason to go to Michigan.

Junior, PapaGoose03 and Mrstiffington like this.
  30. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,519) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

ive got 3 breweries within about 2.4 mile of my house. Thimble Island, Duvig, Stony Creek and at 3 miles is The Beeracks. Ive been to each many times, and they are all very different experiences and beer focus.

what I wish was closest....maybe Revolution in Chicago, loved their stouts so far. Also Modern Times in CA, or even Barreled Souls in Maine. all would probably be a negative on my bank account balance

tobelerone and Mrstiffington like this.
  31. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,879) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

The closest is Obscure Brewing, which is about 7 miles away and opened over the summer. I've had their beers a few times, and while they're solid, nothing earth-shattering, so I don't go there much.

I can't really choose which I'd like to be close to since there are so many; Prairie, Founders, Avery, White Elm, and Oskar Blues come to mind. Not coincidentally, all are strong in stouts.

32. JTW10

JTW10 Initiate (63) Nov 25, 2013 Pennsylvania

To be fair I did kind of forget where exactly they are located(thought closer to NYC)...I just knew it wasn’t “south jersey” aka below Philly/AC. Someone posted a picture of a spruce tip IPA from Twin Elephant the other day that had me ready to jump in my car and go.

33. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,660) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It doesn't seem to matter all that much for me. My closest brewery is still about 20 minutes away (Alementary in Hackensack), so going to breweries is very much a 'to go' proposition; and I never really hang out at them anyway.

34. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (169) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

Stolen Sun is closest to me, but Parkbrau is the brewery I wish I lived closest to. I used to walk by Parkbrau's Zweibrucken brewery everyday on my way to school as a kid and to this day, I can still smell the spent grains in the wagons outside the brew house.

35. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (692) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

I know at one time Brotherton was just a production Brewery. Have things changed? Can you visit now for pours? Always enjoyed their beers myself.

36. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Savant (953) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

The North is the closest, with Farm House slightly farther away.Just a bit too far to be considered within walking distance, especially after visiting.:wink: I'd be happy with either that close. I moved this summer. I was previously ~3/4 mi from Beer Tree. That was nice, being walkable even in the worst weather.:+1:

My sentiments also, if I have to narrow it down.(25(hundred?) breweries<1mi away? :grin: ) Maybe Ommegang, if that ^ was ruled out.

rozzom and Mrstiffington like this.
  37. rgordon

rgordon Savant (994) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

We go on First Friday every month and wander around downtown, about 4.5 miles from home. There are numerable breweries, bars, and restaurants. People are everywhere, the food is great, and nice beer is always a short jaunt..The newest is a touch away from downtown, but Oden Brewing is a great new addition..

nc41 and Mrstiffington like this.
  38. Jimmylikesbeer

Jimmylikesbeer Initiate (130) Apr 27, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Old Nation is closest to me. Wish Treehouse or Hill Farmstead were closer! Even within a 3-4hr drive would be great

39. MUSHROOMCLOUD

MUSHROOMCLOUD Poo-Bah (1,793) Mar 4, 2005 Texas
    Society

Closest is Denton County Brewing Company (DCBC) - I've liked almost everything I've had from them, they're doing a good job.
    I wish Hill Farmstead was closer, period.

40. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,993) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Best place in Greensboro to enjoy a beer that’s a brewery in your opinion?

I work there but I spend very little time there. I like/love Art of the Taco, the collard greens are as good as it gets, superior margaritas too. Love McCools beer and especially the food, nice to pair a Fullers with a Sheppard’s Pie or Cabbage Rills. Sticks and Stones - best pizza in NC.

Mrstiffington and rgordon like this.