Which CA brewery should I order from next?

Discussion in 'US - West' started by cal_golden_beer, Apr 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cal_golden_beer

cal_golden_beer Initiate (34) Feb 27, 2014 California
    Trader

I live in SF so I’ve mainly been drinking locally for the past year. Now, I’m looking to mix it up and order from a brewery outside the greater Bay Area. Can you please suggest a brewery outside the greater Bay Area that ships within CA?

I recently ordered Citra and Class X from Kern River Brewing. That was very enjoyable. I’m mainly looking for something hoppy (clear or hazy). It would be a bonus if I could order hoppy beer plus a lager for variety. I’m not interested in sours at the moment.

Reading this forum, it seems like Highland Park and North Park are winners. What about Casa Agria? I haven’t heard much about them recently.

Thanks for your thoughts

ChicagoJ, kmcnair, 310gts and 2 others like this.
  2. artstvn

artstvn Initiate (32) May 29, 2019 California
    Trader

WCIPA's & Lagers - North Park Beer Co, Highland Park, Green Cheek
    Hazy IPA's - Monkish, Green Cheek

3. SDReaper

SDReaper Crusader (715) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Second vouch for North Park Beer Co.

4. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,935) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I’ve enjoyed access to Kern, North Park, Green Cheek, and Russian River as a localish selection.

ChicagoJ, jrm303130 and kmcnair like this.
  5. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Zealot (505) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

North Park or Green Cheek depending on the week.

I love HPB and I've always been a Bottle Friend, but their shipping options aren't that great unless you want a bunch of the same beer.

6. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (233) Jun 13, 2006 California

North Park is highly stocked with various WCIPA right now, thinking i need to order a mix case as it's been 2 months....

edit, just ordered a mix case from NP as I'm kinda low on good options......

#6 ChazMania, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  7. artstvn

artstvn Initiate (32) May 29, 2019 California
    Trader

Lager-wise: I highly recommend Party Cup & Birdie to Bogey from NPBC.

8. annakarina

annakarina Aspirant (228) Jul 29, 2016 California

My rotation is HPB, Monkish, Casa Agria, and Cellarmaker. It’s treated me good.

ChicagoJ, jrm303130 and thebeeremptor like this.
  9. AndresR

AndresR Aspirant (232) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Trader

As it's warming up in the Bay Area, I'm a huge fan of Enegren.

https://store.enegrenbrewing.com/

The Hefe and Black Lager are fantastic! The others are all pretty much easy bangers too.

Disclosure: I don't enjoy IPAs

#9 AndresR, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  10. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,866) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Another vote for North Park

I completely support this, especially as we're looking at above average temps for awhile.

jrm303130 and kmcnair like this.
  11. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,193) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Another vote for north park. Really well done hoppy stuff and I could easily drink party cup all the time

ChicagoJ, jrm303130, dvnbtn and 3 others like this.
  12. darkmoon66

darkmoon66 Initiate (149) Oct 8, 2011 California
    Trader

Casa Agria, North Park, Pure Project and Monkish have covered all my hoppy beer needs for the last year.

ChicagoJ and kmcnair like this.
  13. SDReaper

SDReaper Crusader (715) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

all. Damn. Day.

Brent212, artstvn, jrm303130 and 5 others like this.
  14. jrm303130

jrm303130 Initiate (75) Jan 26, 2016 California

Green cheek and north park should be at the top of your list. All other breweries listed in this thread are all very good as well. We have an embarrassment of riches of craft beer in California.

15. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (2,021) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

The only reason I might not vote north park is they have seen quite a bit of distro through the Bay Area.
    I would personally try Green Cheek.
    And being in SF you’re already on top of Cellarmaker :beers:

ChicagoJ likes this.
  16. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (158) Feb 25, 2013 California

you could take the short trip to Sacramento, there are half a dozen worthy breweries there, you'd save on shipping what you pay in gas and time

bret27 likes this.
  17. mhucker28

mhucker28 Initiate (82) Apr 24, 2020 California
    Trader

Casa Agria and their $10 flat rate shipping is hard to beat. They make some excellent hazys.

18. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (244) Jan 8, 2015 California

Bravo. I recently ordered from Enegren for the first time. The Hefe did stand out and all were very, very good. I actually scooped up some Helles and Alt from Trader Joe's which was a big surprise, although the beer was not super fresh (I guess, there is no date code). I see Mai Bock is now on offer. Has anyone had it?

19. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (203) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

i was about to place an order and several beers I wanted are out of stock (pils, black lager) any idea how frequently this might change? Trying to decide if I wait a minute and hopefully they’re back available.

20. AndresR

AndresR Aspirant (232) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Trader

They come an go constantly. I usually try to time it so at least my top wants are in stock. Maybe 2-3 weeks is the longest I've held out for restock.

21. cal_golden_beer

Trader

Thanks for the tip, I would love to visit the Sacramento area breweries but I just had a baby so driving up there is a bit tough at the moment. But it is the year 2021. I can hold my newborn in one hand and order beer with my mobile device in the other hand. Magically, beer shows up on my doorstep the next day! It is an amazing time to be alive!

If you have suggestions for places that ship, please share. I’d love to try Slice but they don’t ship as far as I know.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  22. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,193) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Just for a local option that you might not have tried yet, ghost town in Oakland makes some great hoppy stuff in my opinion. I've really enjoyed all the other stuff I've tried from them too

bret27 and jakecattleco like this.
  23. vinylfiend1

vinylfiend1 Initiate (95) Jun 8, 2013 California
    Trader

cal_golden_beer likes this.
  24. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,195) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

Right now it’s a crazy time to be able to get monkish, they recently had a pack that lasted days. Plus from all my orders monkish was the fastest delivery

casa agria for sure! They got a great selection and cheap shipping

I believe highland park brewing is planning to ship soon.

I’m gonna check out north park now lol

kmcnair and vinylfiend1 like this.
  25. annakarina

Yeah, Monkish is always next day delivery. Most other places seem to release cases on Thursday then ship out next Tuesday or something similar.

26. vinylfiend1

vinylfiend1 Initiate (95) Jun 8, 2013 California
    Trader

Monkish does have the absolutely best shipping service around , unreal how they get gls to get a case up to nor cal in under 24 hours. They are pricier then most with the tax and $24 shipping cost but worth it in timeliness. People must be burnt out on buying $170 cases from monk cause These cases last hours or days on the site now instead of selling out in 30-120 seconds.

#26 vinylfiend1, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    m34josh, cal_golden_beer and KevSal like this.
  27. annakarina

I really wanna buy the new case but I just bought a case last week and I’m not drinking enough to keep up.

KevSal and vinylfiend1 like this.
  28. KevSal

Trader

Same, million dollar backpack rocks!

Supermario79 likes this.
  29. cal_golden_beer

Trader

Thanks! I used to drink them regularly pre-pandemic when I worked in the east bay. I haven’t had them in a while. I should get some.

30. cal_golden_beer

Trader

I unsuccessfully tried to get Monkish a few times when they first started shipping. I gave up trying. Until now, I just assumed that it was hard to get, but I guess that’s not the case. I’ll have to try again (current mixed pack is sold out). Thanks for the heads up

KevSal likes this.
  31. KevSal

Trader

Extra goes up all the time and stays up for a while so check periodically. But for the past 6 months, they’ve been pretty steady on drops at 11:11 on Wednesdays :+1:

32. dcgunman

dcgunman Meyvn (1,367) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Beachwood should get a mention here.
    CitraHolic
    Amalgamator
    Hayabusa
    28 Haze Later (their best attempt at a hazy)

UnknownKoger likes this.
  33. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (160) Dec 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Alvarado Street, without question. Arguably best IPA maker in the West Coast. Diesel forward, which comes from hop oil extraction. They remind me a lot of vintage Other Half. Their westies are also excellent.

Their kettle sours are among the best, and their Yeast of Eden program is absolutely fantastic.

Order Triplets and Delorean Dust and thank me later.

Green Cheek and Monkish are also at the top of the hop game. HPB for westies also does very well.

#33 Dansac, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  34. jakecattleco

Society Trader

:joy: GTFOH

Give me Barley Brown's without a second thought. I like my hops without a bunch of sweetness. YMMV

FrogOut69 and sharpski like this.
  35. Dansac

Trader

Suit yourself, but I think their extraction of hop oils, and dank-diesel aromatics are on a class of their own. And not all of their IPAs are sweet leaning. Their last batch of Nelson Baby, Triplets, Easy Lux, Delorean Dust, many of their WCs...

36. jakecattleco

Society Trader

I'm sure they're glad you're buying it. Latest Nelson Baby was on the sweeter side again. Maybe I'll try Triplets, given I liked this year's Triple Cone.

But to claim they are the best hops on the West Coast "without question" is laughable.

thuey and FrogOut69 like this.
  37. Dansac

Trader

Your reading comprehension is laughable.

I said he should try ASB without question. I said that they arguably made the best hop game in the West Coast.

Maybe if you were more respectful of other people's opinions and didn't try to come across as a smartass you wouldn't come across as a dumbass.

38. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Enjoy all your sweet hops from ASB.

I do my best to qualify my opinion as reflective of my palate and preferences, acknowledging the subjectivity. Do you?

FrogOut69 likes this.
  39. Dansac

Trader

Your best is not very good. You misread what I wrote and when shown, rather than apologize and acknowledge your mistake you try to be a smartass.

Calling someone's opinion laughable for saying they thought a very respected brewery arguably made the best hoppy beers in the WC is petulance. I also specified what I thought was remarkable about them.

#39 Dansac, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  40. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Thanks I'll keep that as insight for the future. Apologies for the misread.

Glad you like them. Enjoy

Dansac likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.