Which Clown Shoes beer is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ISmith87, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjgator3

cjgator3 Poo-Bah (2,914) Jan 19, 2006 Florida

Such a great brewery in my opinion, but my vote goes to Luchador En Fuego.

alk3kenny likes this.
  2. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Disciple (351) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Never had the beer but I saw this today and it has to be one of the most random labels and name for a beer I've ever seen lol no one can say they aren't creative with naming and designing labels. The few beers I had from them so far have been top notch so far been meaning to try more.

3. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Champion (889) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Crunkle Sam is the only one I've had so far.......so that one. They don't distribute here in Ohio. D: It was actually a nice American Barleywine, but it got a bit sweet as it warmed.

LeeMarvin likes this.
  4. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,446) Mar 18, 2010 California

Vampire Slayer.

LeeMarvin likes this.
  5. shawnp

shawnp Aspirant (240) Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota
    ¬°Bad Trader! Beer Trader

I just picked up a bottle of Unidragon and I can't wait to try it. It will be my first bottle.

PumaSaysRawrr likes this.
  6. JOrtt

JOrtt Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Muffin Top

7. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (1,805) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Luchador en Fuego. One of the best shelf stouts around.

8. shamrock1343

shamrock1343 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2010 New Jersey

9. Botulizard

Botulizard Zealot (507) Jul 22, 2013 Michigan

I've only had the Clementine, and it smelled more like deviled eggs or smoked ham to me than any kind of orange fruit.

Aero likes this.
  10. martinjohnson23

martinjohnson23 Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2012 Arizona

porceine unidragon

LeeMarvin likes this.
  11. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (98) Jan 8, 2012 Massachusetts

Might be just Mass. for now, but so you know they've started shipping some varieties in 4 packs of 12 oz. bottles, still not that cheap (around $9-10) but easier to swallow pricewise than the bombers. They'll probably make their way down there eventually if they haven't.

12. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Poo-Bah (2,104) Mar 8, 2011 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I appreciate this thread because I really dig Clown Shoes. I haven't had a bad beer from them and I've tried every one I've seen. Good to see them getting some love here.

My favorites:
    1. Very Angry Beast. The whole is so much better than the sum of it's already great parts.
    2. Luchador En Fuego. Awesome amped up barreled Chocolate Sombrero.
    3. Galactica. Freakin delicious.
    4. Blaecorn Unidragon. Great to start with and ages beautifully.
    5. Eagle Claw Fist. When fresh it's my favorite hoppy red. Unfortunately I think it's been phased out.
    6. Pimp. A double double brown collaboration with Brash that deserves honorable mention here.

And just in case the right person reads this- ISO Clown Shoes snifter

13. whatname

whatname Defender (644) Jan 7, 2010 Pennsylvania

I don't think you can go wrong with clown shoes. All of the beers I have had from them are really good to amazing!

14. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,112) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Hoppy Feet 1 & 1.5
    Brown Angel
    Swagger
    Vampire Slayer

15. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

I love black IPAs, but Hoppy Feet did not do it for me. It seemed more stoutish to me, and not really celebrating hops the same way Wookey Jack and Black Racer do, for example...

16. MGambleWWS

MGambleWWS Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2007 Massachusetts

The right person just read it! Thanks for the kind words. Send me a beermail

kirkse, jbertsch and JulianB like this.
  17. LeeMarvin

LeeMarvin Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2005 Massachusetts

Clown Shoes has done some amazing things with their stouts. I haven't had one I didn't like. I've got a bunch aging as we speak.

Crunkle Sam is a really great American Barleywine. I need to let one age to see what it does.

I used to drink the Miracle all the time, but haven't seen it on the shelves.

CS is a great area brewery that I feel good supporting.

18. Massbmx

Massbmx Devotee (425) Apr 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Very Angry Beast, Vampire Slayer, Porcine Unidragon and Hoppy Feet 1.5 are my favorites, seems they tend to do better with dark beer. Although Swagger is pretty damn good as well.

Edit: Flight of the Pimp was pretty damn good also.

19. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

Unidragon, the original.
    Hoppy Feet 1.5 is a close second.

20. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Savant (947) May 14, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

1.) Vampire Slayer
    2.) Very Angry Beast
    3.) Lubrication
    4.) Brown Angel
    5.) Galactica

^^^All are really nice beers

21. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

yep this one here is my favorite too aweome black IPA

dianimal likes this.
  22. mdvatab

mdvatab Zealot (574) Apr 5, 2006 Indiana

Same here. They've been in stores in my area for a few months now, and I've yet to try them. Sounds like I've been missing out...
    I think their marketing comes across as if they're trying too hard. I was assuming their beer was mediocre. Guess I'm gonna have to get over that and try a bottle!

jaxon53 likes this.
  23. TheGator321

TheGator321 Aspirant (239) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

how do you have an opinion if you have never tried them?

24. dianimal

dianimal Initiate (161) Apr 18, 2012 California

*re-read P-Rod's post :sunglasses:

TheGator321 likes this.
  25. TheGator321

TheGator321 Aspirant (239) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

My bad.

26. Gregg_Kawakami

Gregg_Kawakami Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2013 Hawaii

Chocolate Sombrero!

VictorWisc likes this.
  27. MikeWard

MikeWard Meyvn (1,209) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania

Glad I read this thread. Wasn't impressed by Clementine, Hoppy Feet, or Tramp Stamp, but have some Galactica in the fridge that I'm now itching to sup.

28. MGambleWWS

MGambleWWS Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2007 Massachusetts

It wasn't until this point where I really felt like we'd made it as a brewery. Mark this day down in the history books.

29. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Disciple (326) Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

I have access to some year-round stuff like Tramp Stamp, Hoppy Feet, and Clementine. Are you saying that they also do their special releases in four-packs as well?

30. Dhamma73

Dhamma73 Aspirant (269) Feb 8, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Chocolate Sombrero and Luchador. Really want to try Vampire Slayer but haven't had the chance yet.

VictorWisc likes this.
  31. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (98) Jan 8, 2012 Massachusetts

Swagger and Galactica mentioned earlier are two that were first released in 4-packs - not sure if those are intended as specials or not.

32. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (790) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Never bothered to try any. For some reason Clown Shoes (ouch, nice name) went with Total Wine here in N.C. for an exclusive distro arrangement. Like buying beer in a Walgreens with old and dated drugs.

33. Goldfishman

Goldfishman Disciple (366) Jan 29, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Mentioned a lot but my vote is for Galactica very very good beer !!!

34. ISmith87

ISmith87 Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2011 Arizona

Damn, haha so do you get all your drugs from the compound pharmacist too? They can use vitamin b and prozac to treat your cancer, and they put it in a nice powder too! It doesn't work but it sure does make you feel smart and independent while you're doing it.

I just got called out for making this same mistake (inadvertently ) with respect to breweries. Big and successful does not equal bad. There's nothing wrong with Total Wine and BevMo.

35. BigCheese

BigCheese Defender (689) Jul 4, 2009 Massachusetts

Galactica 4 packs are a great deal

36. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (790) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Hey, I love Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, even Yuengling. It has nothing to do with "big and successful". It has everything to do with some of their practices. I have friends that work for Total and their business is their business; I just think that Clown Shoes could have made a wiser choice for distribution across such a diverse state as North Carolina. There aren't even any Total outlets in Asheville, so Clown Shoes misses a perfect market completely. A number of other statewide distributors could penetrate all of the nooks and crannies of retail and on-premise opportunities. Clown Shoes simply made an easy choice and sold pallets right off the bat. Building brands takes a hell of a lot more than single point distribution! Total was "smart" to sell the concept to the Clown Shoes folks. I really don't even know how it's working out for either party. What's more, I don't care. My inference was to old beer that somehow keeps sneaking around the bottom shelf. They (Total) have a tough task keeping up with their offerings. I do not envy them.

37. imbibehour

imbibehour Poo-Bah (6,502) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Had Vampire Slayer recently, was very impressed.

38. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,183) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Chocolate sombrero.

39. SenorHops

SenorHops Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

Haven't tried Vampire Slayer yet, but Blaecorn Unidragon is excellent. I've actually never had a Clown Shoes beer I thought was bad, except Chocolate Sombrero and the first release of Supa Hero. When fresh, I thought Brown Angel, Eagle Claw Fist, Hoppy Feet, Galactica and Tramp Stamp were all good beers. I even enjoyed Lubrication, though it was a little thin. I thought Miracle was "meh".

40. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

The Total Wine in my area started stocking Clown Shoes a few months back, and I was all excited to try Chocolate Sombrero. As I stated earlier, I thought the Hoppy Feet was more stoutish than IPA, but I honestly don't know how old those bottles were, either. Anyway, I grabbed two bottles of Chocolate Sombrero (one for me and one for my buddy). Mine was delicious. His (after sitting calmly in a beer cooler for 3 weeks) exploded all over the kitchen when he pried the cap off. Literally 3/4 of the 22 oz. bottle ended up on the kitchen floor, the walls, the counter top, and him... but mine was delish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.