Which Denver stores will be carrying Boulevard's Chocolate Ale?

Discussion in 'US - West' started by Cfahooligan, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cfahooligan

Cfahooligan Initiate (113) Mar 19, 2001 California

Just checking in to see who will be carrying it. I am still not that familiar with the liquor stores of the area. We go to Mr. B's primarily.

2. ASak10

ASak10 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2014 Colorado

If it's the same people who got Rye on Rye then Mr. B's, Hugo's, Mile High, Grapevine, Small Batch...if more limited then sorry, no clue!

3. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,964) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

It's been an irregular beer. Never know how many cases make it to CO and distro sends them out to stores that carry the full BLVD line up.

4. bfields4

bfields4 Zealot (592) Dec 11, 2007 Colorado

If it goes quick in Denver. I've seen it hanging around shelves in Boulder months past the release. Just an FYI in case you're adamant about getting some.

5. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2007 Colorado

We will.

hopfacebrew likes this.
  6. mcgarjo

mcgarjo Initiate (37) Dec 1, 2010 Colorado

Grapevine doesn't know if they're getting it and they don't carry BLVD's full lineup anymore so it's unlikely that they will.

7. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2011 Colorado

Does anyone have an actual release date?

8. McNazz

McNazz Disciple (388) Feb 19, 2013 Colorado

It released in Kansas City this week although it was delayed a day or two because of weather.

9. chango

chango Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2006 Colorado

I asked the driver the other day and he said he didn't think we were getting it.

10. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,931) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

If not in bottles, we should be getting some on draft. Saw a tweet from The Mayor of Old Town (Fort Collins) that they will be getting some.

11. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2011 Colorado

Mr. B's literally just received their shipment.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  12. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Disciple (331) Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Trader

It's showing up in places. Just have to do a little work.

VABA likes this.
  13. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Aspirant (254) Apr 5, 2012 Colorado

On shelves today

14. ASak10

I can't keep up...it's like a second job trying to keep up with all the releases and who is getting them.

15. angelmonster

angelmonster Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2008 Colorado

Argonaut got it

16. chango

Ok, so now I'm hearing that we're getting it next week.

17. stuart3368

stuart3368 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2011 Colorado

bought one at Small batch last night.

18. Cfahooligan

I agree with you. There is a lot to keep up with around here. Besides isn't this post doing the work? Who has it? Let's talk! ;>

ASak10 likes this.
  19. Jumbolaya

Jumbolaya Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 Colorado

I picked one up at Total Bev in Westminster today. Not sure of their allocation but the shelf space was full.

20. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,999) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Society Trader

Saw it at Applejack on Friday.

21. Todd

Todd Founder (6,652) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

I tried Mr. B's. They received 2 cases Thursday, and sold out on the same day due to people taking advantage of their 4-5 bottle limit.

22. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,999) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Society Trader

Argonaut had it today.

23. ASak10

Picked up a bottle at Lowry Liquors today.

24. chango

Finally came in today.

25. KoloradoKonet

KoloradoKonet Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 Colorado

Chambers Wine and Liquors in Aurora had plenty of it yesterday, 2/13/14.

26. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (218) May 31, 2011 Colorado

I saw some @ Superior yesterday.

27. Kramerbarthomer

Kramerbarthomer Champion (849) Mar 22, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Grapevine has it

28. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Defender (615) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Wallaby's had some. $12.49

29. leahbeth40

leahbeth40 Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2014 Colorado

If you don't mind drinking it in a bar, Freshcraft has it. And Mr. B.'s got more in.

30. TDavEdMac

TDavEdMac Initiate (84) May 6, 2013 Colorado

Call me crazy but I had a bottle for the first time last night and was very unimpressed. For a beer called chocolate ale there sure wasn't much chocolate goin on. It was ok but not something I would ever search out again. To each their own I guess.

Mebuzzard and tacosandbeer like this.
  31. McNazz

McNazz Disciple (388) Feb 19, 2013 Colorado

I agree. I'm a huge fan of Boulevard but I've never been blown away by Chocolate Ale. It's a good beer but I don't think it deserves the attention it gets compared to their other great offerings.

I previously lived in KC (land of Boulevard) and the local news REALLY gives it a lot of attention. This creates the perfect storm where curious craft beer enthusiasts and your average Bud Light drinker converge and seek out the same beer. The mayhem that it creates around town is just ridiculous.

Jasonrm72 and TDavEdMac like this.
  32. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Defender (615) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

My wife and I just opened it and neither one of us care for it at all. It pours with an immense amount of foam, but tastes almost flat.
    No chocolate whatsoever. It is seriously bland, not much going on at all.

To each their, own of course, but if someone is looking for a beer that sports an actual chocolate flavor, this isn't the beer for you

tacosandbeer, TDavEdMac and Mebuzzard like this.
  33. Mebuzzard

Society Trader

Still around...at many places. My 14th sense (I have many) tells me this one will stick around for a while

34. Treezilla

Treezilla Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2013 Colorado

Had this at freshcraft, thought it was fantastic. Lots of milk chocolate taste.

35. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,789) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

We opened ours on Friday. It's definitely not Choklat or Rogue Double Chocolate, but I liked it. I also got more of a milk chocolate character from it. It doesn't hit you over the head with chocolate character, but I definitely got what I expected from it. I think the chocolate *might* have been a hair heavier in previous years, though.
    Maybe not a must-buy but I don't regret grabbing a bottle.

36. Cfahooligan

Is this a fair comparison of beers though? One is a strong ale while the two you compared it to are stouts. Yes, they are big abv chocolate beers but one isn't trying to be a stout. Choklat and Rogue are really going for that big chocolate in beer profile while Boulevard is going for the huge roasted cacao nibs in more of it's pure form. I don't know I just don't want someone thinking they should expect a stout of out boulevard if they've never had it before. Cacao nibs are not what you think of with chocolate either which is why you wouldn't get a syrupy ovaltine taste like you do on Choklat.

Treezilla likes this.
  37. omgeezo

omgeezo Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Colorado

This beer kinda reminded be of terrible

coreymcafee likes this.
  38. Mebuzzard

Society Trader

The average craft beer drinking won't know the difference, though, from the label. If a beer label states "chocolate" then consumers expect dark. If they don't want confusion they should alter the name to something like Cocoa Ale...but even then I don't think that would have much affect on most consumers' perceptions.

flowersjg and tacosandbeer like this.
  39. Mebuzzard

Society Trader

EDIT: "drinker" not "drinking". Guess I was doing a bit of that while "typing"

40. RobinSmith13

RobinSmith13 Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2014

I bought 4 bottles of Boulevard Chocolate Ale because I am from Kansas City and love it! I drank one bottle on Valentine's Day (it was delicious) and then found out a few weeks later I was pregnant. I was planning on drinking the other 3 in 9 months but I just looked at the bottles and all three say "best by Sep 2014". They would probably still be tasty after that date but I thought I would see if anyone else wanted them. The cost is $45 for three 750 ml bottles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.