Which of your rated beers has the highest deviation ratio?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BethanyB, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BethanyB

BethanyB Zealot (547) Jun 20, 2013 New York

In both directions.

I only have 48 beers reviewed, but I still find my own deviation ratios interesting. As I get more practice judging beers, I am finding that these ratios are growing smaller.

I have a deviation ratio of +14.2 for Troegenator Double Bock. That's my highest on the positive end. I'm not shy about large gaps between my own rating and the average, but I wonder if my enthusiasm for this beer was partly due to the fact that my sister was over and we were having a really fun visit and were both trying this for the first time together (we both thought it was great). Or maybe I just really love this beer, now and forever!

In my opposite direction is Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen. I'd heard so many good things about it, that you would think I would have been subjectively pressured to give it a higher score. Or maybe I was just so disappointed, that I wanted to throw some low ratings in its face. I think my scores were pretty objective, though. I try to make sure they are! Anyway, I thought it smelled, tasted, and felt like watered down bubblegum soda. I wonder how others picked up on a ton of goodness I didn't.

2. RichD

RichD Champion (805) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

The highest positive deviation ratio that I have is +22% for Samuel Adams Octoberfest. It's one of the beers that really got me into craft and it's one of the best malt forward beers I'll ever have. It definitely has a special place in my heart.

One the other hand, my lowest is -20.5% for Samuel Adams Imperial White. Holy fuck was this beer awful. It was incredibly boozy and just not pleasant at all. There is not reason for me to ever buy this beer again; even with a recipe change, the name of this brew incites fire and brimstone into my eyes.

There are 234 brews between those 2 and most are great and some are putrid.

3. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,400) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

To this day, my highest negative rDev (-44%) is Hair of the Dog Ruth. I gave it a 2.0 and at ths point I'm convinced I got a bad bottle, so I'll consider re-reviewing it @ some point.

My highest positive rDev (+23.9%) is Cass Fresh, a Korean AAL. I gave it a 2.9, which to me is a barely passing grade. But what can I say, it tasted pretty good with bulgogi and kimchee.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Savant (975) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Just like richd, my positive deviation is with easy street wheat, which was instrumental in my adventure into craft. I still love that beer, and I'll take it over most shelf turds out therre. My negetive deviation is for dry dock vanilla porter with creme brulee coming in a close second. In both beers I found the excessive use of vanilla off putting to say the least. Maybe after a palate wrecking ipa I would appreciate those flavors more...

5. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,004) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'm gonna do top three and bottom three in an effort to stir up debate.

Bottom three:
    DFH Indian Brown Ale, Score 2.08, rDev -49.4%
    Orkney Skull Splitter, Score 2.1, rDev -48.5%
    Lazy Magnolia Deep South Pale, Score 1.98, rDev -38.7%

The Lazy Mag was genuinely a horribly constructed watered down failure and I would sooner drink an AAL than have it again. The other two I just personally find to be acrid though not necessarily abominations.

Top Three:
    Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon (that's right, I didn't hate it), Score 3.98, rDev +37.2%
    Cold Storage Florida Avenue IPA, Score 4.45, rDev +35.3%
    Southern Tier Cuvee Series 3, Score 4.33, rDev +34.9%

Come at me...

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  6. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,246) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I deviate quite a bit. I always think myself lucky if I come out exactly the same as the average score though.

The beer is bandwagon brewpub's hefe wheat or hidden rabbit hefewizen. I bought some in a bottle and rated it. I thought it was awful Did not exhibit any of the malt characteristics of a good hefe. BUT - I heard people say that at the NYS TAP festival they liked it . So I went there. To the brewpub. It was no different at the pub than it was in the bottle. I actually thought the bottle had gone bad. -32.5%

Second was horseheads IPA. Stale and lost all it's goods because of no date on the bottle. They deserved the rating they got for not putting any date on. -33.8 % I put horseheads here with a grain of salt because I have had brews from them that were stellar. Really right on. This was because of no freshness date. On the other hand bandwagon told me that the beer I had was bottled less than one month before I drank it which means it doesn't even resemble a hefeweizen.

7. joaopmgoncalves

joaopmgoncalves Crusader (748) Dec 17, 2012 Portugal
    Beer Trader

The highest positive ratio for me is Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel with 16.6% followed closely by a 11.3% to Maredsous 10. And the highest negative ratio goes to Chimay Blue, -10.9%.

kojevergas likes this.
  8. joaopmgoncalves

Beer Trader

I do think the same way! Got pretty excited when I reviewed Orval and the deviation was 0.6%. :D

utopiajane likes this.
  9. anteater

anteater Crusader (764) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

On top:
    My Blueberry Nightmare +29.4%
    I guess I just have a soft spot for sour imperial stouts brewed with chilis and aged in scotch barrels with blueberries for two years

On bottom:
    Little Sumpin Wild -39.5%
    I know a lot of people love this beer, but I really disliked it. Such aggressive off flavors between the hops and belgian yeast.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  10. Immortale25

Beer Trader

New thread? "What are your 0% rDevs? (Reviews only, no Hads)"

What are mine, you ask? Well I'll tell you:

Green Flash West Coast IPA (4.23), Boulder Kinda Blue Blueberry Wheat (3.1), Pike Monk's Uncle Tripel (3.63), Lagunitas New Dogtown Pale (4), Prairie Artisan Ales Prairie Hop (4.29), Sam Adams Maple Pecan Porter (3.65), Great Divide Yeti (4.22)

Threads like these always show how much of a geek for statistics I am.

WesMantooth likes this.
  11. Gtreid

Gtreid Champion (843) Mar 27, 2008 Florida
    Beer Trader

For me, on the high side is shorts strawberry milk. I liked it but most seamed to dislike it rather strongly. I think I was +23. On the low side is port old viscosity, -55. Just hated that beer.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  12. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Gale's Prize Old Ale +43.7%.
    A chronically under appreciated beer by the uneducated and ignorant.

AdmiralOzone and beastmammoth like this.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Savant (975) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'm glad to see I am not the only one who geeks out on deviation. On the no deviation bandwagon, trois pistoles.

14. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (934) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania

On the plus side, non brewpub beers, Troegs Hopback Amber +9.5
    On the minus side, Yuengling Oktoberfest -25.1 (And I live in Pottsville!)

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  15. Dracarys

Dracarys Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Alabama

+17.1% for Oak Aged Yeti. -52.7% for Double Trouble.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  16. jrnyc

jrnyc Champion (859) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Ok, I will come at you :). 2.08 for DFH Indian Brown Ale??? C'mon, it is an excellent beer. Scores like that should be reserved for the BMCs of the world.

dumptruck81 likes this.
  17. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Poo-Bah (2,653) Oct 15, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

My top is Yuengling Black and Tan at +14.3%, score of 3.68. In fairness, if I rated it nowadays, it would be a lot closer to 2.5. Bringing up the bottom of the basement is Bud Light Platinum at -55.2%, score of 1. Because Bud Light Platinum.

WesMantooth and AdmiralOzone like this.
  18. jrnyc

jrnyc Champion (859) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

It's it the biggest rdev on my list, but Double Jack and Union Jack do nothing for me. At best they taste very neutral to me, much love for those beers from people but they do nothing for me.

19. Benish

Benish Champion (839) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

On the low end, CCB Evander had -20.7%. I did not like it and flavors were off (must have been old - at least 5 - 6 months). Couldn't finish it. On the high end Jai Alai was at +12.3%. This is probably my favorite IPA.

One1Asterisk and AdmiralOzone like this.
  20. BethanyB

BethanyB Zealot (547) Jun 20, 2013 New York

Oops, I forgot to mention my negative deviation for the Sierra Nevada Kellerweis (quoting my own post above). It was a -25.6

21. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Champion (813) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

My top:
    Hangar 24 Local Fields Polycot +14.9

My bottom:
    Samuel Adams Honey Queen -15.3

22. Botulizard

Botulizard Devotee (434) Jul 22, 2013 Michigan

My top is Kirin Ichiban at +44.2. I had it with some really good sushi, and I enjoyed it. Not going to apologize. My bottom is Harp at -46.3. Just wasn't feeling it. I couldn't get into the taste, and I had to work to get through all of it.

23. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Aspirant (274) Feb 16, 2013 Utah

My biggest deviations both positive and negative were both American pale wheat ales.
    Top: Wailua Wheat +13.3
    Bottom: 312 Urban Wheat -34.4

24. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Disciple (343) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

Based on the posts I've read here, you folks seem to believe that you are entitled to have an opinion that deviates from the BA norm. What in the hell are you thinking?

beastmammoth, BethanyB and MikeWard like this.
  25. Crazy4LegMoose

Crazy4LegMoose Aspirant (273) Jun 24, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Red Brick Peachtree Pale Ale Aged In Pappy Van Winkle Barrels with a +31%. I had it on tap at the brewery and thought it was amazing. I was new to craft beer and thoroughly enjoyed their original pale ale and gave this one a high rating for the complexity of flavors in it.

My lowest was Presidente Light which was -25%. A friend of mine brought it over and I just did not care for it. It was to light and not flavorful at all so I did not rate it well.

I agree with utopiajane, and if I get close to the BA average rating I feel pretty good about that.

26. Danny1217

Danny1217 Champion (833) Jul 15, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Wild Blue. It was way too disgusting to give anymore than a 1.
    Belle Vue Gueuze is close. What an abomination to lambic as a whole.
    He'brew Jewbelation Sweet 16 is right after those two. What a mess of a beer.

kojevergas likes this.
  27. joaopmgoncalves

Beer Trader

0% rDevs is too hard to get. At least I didn't get any!Bbut anything less than 3 to 4% is a good rDev. :p For that matter, I have La Chouffe with +1.9%, Weihenstephaner Weissbier with -3.8%, Erdinger Urweiss with +2.7%, McChouffe with +1.8%, Orval with +0.6%, Maredsous 8 with +3.2%...

28. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,288) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Founders Double Trouble +16.1%

Sam Adams White Christmas -29.2%

WesMantooth likes this.
  29. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,288) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Don't ever have an Ale Asylum Bedlam.

30. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Caldera Mogli +8.4

Ommegang Iron Throne -10.1

31. darky

darky Aspirant (212) Apr 16, 2010 South Dakota

My top is Northern Reserve Special Light at +37.2%. I'm serious. Drink this blind, out of the can, and tell me it's not the best light AAL you've ever had. It's not a great beer, but for what it is, I consider it the Westy XII of light beer. Totally surprised me.

My bottom is Schell's Stag Series: Fresh Hop Citra Pils at -18.1%. I love Schells, and am constantly giving them props, but this beer just did not deliver, especially at $9.99/sixer. I found the body, balance,..everything to be off. I was truly shocked because everything else in their Stag Series has been excellent.

32. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,552) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

American Brewing Blonde: +59.4

Cascade Bourbon Barrel Quad: -65.6

33. dhannes

dhannes Devotee (471) Feb 14, 2010 Wisconsin

A-B Natural Light: +81.2
    Good Old Potosi: -64.8

34. tweezer159

tweezer159 Initiate (0) May 2, 2008 Alabama

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti +18.8

Weyerbacher Heresy -18.5

35. cjoc83

cjoc83 Aspirant (278) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic at -42.9. Obviously it's been a while since I've had it, and my palette has expanded quite a bit in 3 years, but at the time it tasted like cheap, carbonated white wine to me.

Biggest + is Festina Peche, which I gave a 4.2, +15.7. I've found that most of the biggest swings deviated lower than higher. I have several rated brews 20 points down on the average.

36. Immortale25

Beer Trader

I like or love most Dogfish beers. I had IBA before I was huge into craft and hated it. Decided to revisit it a few years later when I started developing a palate for different styles, still hated it. A few years after that, when I decided to start reviewing beers, I figured I'd give it another try...still couldn't find any redeeming qualities and couldn't finish the bottle. That was two years ago so I may give it one last shot at some point but I most likely still won't like it. It's one of the beers I put in the "too extreme" category. It's overly malty and overly hoppy with no real balance or drinkability IMO. Also smells like burnt hair.

37. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,516) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

My top four +rDevs are all mass-produced lagers that I rated poorly...but apparently everyone else rates REALLY poorly. A 2.5 for Mich Ultra is apparently 37.4% too high; a 3.38 for Amstel Light, 40.2%! (Come on, you can't convince me that Amstel isn't at least 1.0 better than Bud Light; compared to the BMC/AAL style of beer, it is, IMO, above avergae).

My highest rDev for a craft beer, then, is Middle Ages ImPaled Ale: +15.2% at 4.4. I wasn't too impressed with their offerings, but that one beer blew me away.

Biggest -rDev was CCB Cucumber Saison; the cucumber flavor was overwhelming. 3.0, -20.8%. I could see a cucumber-flavored saison being very refreshing; this was like drinking cucumber juice.
    That's followed closely by Magic Hat #9: 2.75, -19.1%. Those are both "HAD"s; my lowest full review is for Redd's Apple Ale: 2.18, -19%, and one of the most disgusting things you can put in your mouth outside of a stay in prison.

WesMantooth and BethanyB like this.
  38. mudbug

mudbug Zealot (590) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

I don't like or drink orange soda pop, in fact I don't drink any soda pop and I don't like overly sweet anything so I guess it's no surprise that I absolutely detested "Swill" by Ten Barrels:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16873/93805/?ba=mudbug
    I actually did pour half a glass down the sink rDev -45

39. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Defender (602) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Indeed Brewing: Shenanigans -53.2%

Beyond me, as this beer is complete garbage.

Miller High-Life + 60%

Because people aren't reviewing it to style.

cnbrown313, Roguer and mudbug like this.
  40. JakerLou

JakerLou Crusader (797) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'll probably lose my BA account for my largest negative deviation but...

+15.7 Founders Rubaeus. I love fruit beers in the summer and I think this is a great summer beer. I get why some people don't like it, it's a straight up raspberry bomb.

-22.9 BCBS. I know. I know. I'm not a bourbon fan and this beer reeks/tastes of bourbon. I drank this early in my craft beer lifetime so I am going to try it again and see if my taste has changed.

Be nice...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe