Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Which state has the worst beer distribution?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jwren5, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tisthesaisson

tisthesaisson Nov 19, 2010 Kansas

Yup, I pick up a lot of craft beer in Missouri since I live at the other end of Kansas. Thankfully we still get decent distribution even without Michigan, Oregon, and California.

2. lokieman

lokieman Jan 20, 2011 Oklahoma

These label laws that you speak of were overturned quite some time ago and we've actually gained a lot of new breweries this year (Alaskan, Six Point, Ballast Point, Lazy Magnolia etc...). Goose Island is in the beginnings of their soft rollout into our state and several more strong players making plans to distro here in the next couple of years. The only Colorado brewery that "skips" us that I feel we are really missing out on is Odell and they are one of the breweries with Texas in their short term distro plans. Trust me...I wish I could grab Founders, Bells, Cigar City off the shelf but so do a LOT of other states. Come on....Texas is very far from the worst distributed state in the country...very far.

3. Centennial

Centennial Nov 9, 2009 Vermont

Yo man, but doesn't Hawaii brew Kona? :confused:

4. krl2112

krl2112 Nov 10, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Debatable is putting it nice. Lol

5. Beerandboards

Beerandboards Nov 6, 2012 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

New Mexico is horrible. The simple fact that it hasn't been mentioned in 4 pages of this thread is evidence of the beer netherworld this place is. Nobody even notices its bad! Deschutes, Odell's, stone, Sierra Nevada, ummmm, Oskar blues, that's about it. The only advantage is when we do get our small allocation of deschutes releases and SN seasonals, they hang around for a while because everyone is reaching over them for bud light. Sure, it could be worse, but if we want to go comparing...

6. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Apr 27, 2011 Wisconsin

I'd have to go with Utah (based on my only visit)

Went to Ogden, Utah for a research conference and went out with a few other students. Dismal craft beer options. Bars closed at midnight and couldn't get anything above 3.5%

Not sure how the Mormons can live with it. If I had to live with multiple wives, I would have to find something stronger than 3.5!

7. finado

finado Jul 6, 2009 Minnesota

8. finado

finado Jul 6, 2009 Minnesota

As far as distribution goes -Northern Minnesota is by far the worst-and I've lived in New Mex/No. Car./Virginia/Maryland and the Twin Cities- I can't imagine anyplace in the U.S. being worse

9. Tadloco

Tadloco Dec 14, 2012

I dig Marshall. I think it may be near the top of the class when it comes to Oklahoma brews. But I must say that Oklahoma is (in my opinion) a poor beer state. Thats why I am even reading this thread! I guess there are states that are even worse of than us.

10. sil1

sil1 May 19, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Shot in the dark. Utah. But I don't think people even live there.

11. lokieman

lokieman Jan 20, 2011 Oklahoma

You have Elevated IPA dude...that's worth a lot

12. Preluderl

Preluderl Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

West Virginia is absolutely terrible. The distro list says that Rogue, Sierra Nevada and Great Lakes are available but I've never seen any of them. Sam Adams is as close as it gets to craft beer for most of the state.

13. unionturf

unionturf Sep 30, 2007 North Carolina

Really?

How high are your expectations??

Last visit to Orlando I got Cigar City beers, landed a few Bell's Hopslam's, and several local Fla beers including St Elsewhere....and some beer called DFH 120....yea, poor you in the beer desert of the US...I bet WV, WY, and Miss feel better knowing about your plight for better beer.

14. Rfunk

Rfunk Nov 28, 2012 California

Most likely states with less population, less income and minimum breweries. AKA midwest??

15. Stouttyme

Stouttyme Nov 17, 2011 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

Nebraska doesn't even get Deschutes, Stone, or Oskar blues.

16. bris1112

bris1112 Sep 16, 2008 West Virginia

"West Virginia is absolutely terrible. The distro list says that Rogue, Sierra Nevada and Great Lakes are available but I've never seen any of them. Sam Adams is as close as it gets to craft beer for most of the state"

Dude find a decent liquor store. You should be seeing Christmas Ale, Celebration Ale, Yellow Snow etc in high end convenience stores as well.

17. SilentUproar

SilentUproar Oct 27, 2012 Florida

18. SilentUproar

SilentUproar Oct 27, 2012 Florida

Ok relax

19. Arodnum1

Arodnum1 May 14, 2012

True, Nebraska doesnt which sucks, but we have weyerbacher, we get all the limited boulevards and copious amounts of them, great GI selection especially BCBS time, Odell, and honestly the biggest city in Nebraska (Pop. 500,000) is at most a 40 minute drive from Iowa that gets Founders, Stone, Bells, Avery, Its not the best but it could be far worse

20. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

This is not as objective as you make it seem. Let's say, for instance, that Philly does get a large selection of craft beer (including Russian River and PtE and PtY, which it does) but a lot of this is East Coast swill that most West Coasters wouldn't want anyway. Does this mean that, regardless of the quality of the beer access you have to, Philly still comes out on top?

Of course, I'm just joking about the East Coast swill...

21. NickyDee21

NickyDee21 Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

never had trouble finding anything in philly. it may be limited, but if its brewed, someone will get it in.

22. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Nov 16, 2008 Pennsylvania

I appreciate where you're coming from even though you're wrong...the distribution is what it is. Tons of fresh stuff makes it here from the west coast - Ballast Point, FW, Bear Republic, Green Flash, Deschutes - as well as from the midwest (Bell's, Founders, Great Lakes, Jolly Pumpkin).

But yeah, you're right, we do just get a lot of "swill" from the east coast like CCB, Hill Farmstead, Victory, Maine Brewing, Pretty Things, Troegs...

23. MikeRoni

MikeRoni Nov 30, 2010 New Jersey

Coming from Jersey and now living in Delaware, DELAWARE SUCKS. Went from having a plethora of options to hardly any. In Jersey I went from having 3 stores in a 15 mile radius that had over 500 different beers to not even having 3 stores.

24. oldedog

oldedog Oct 23, 2012 Connecticut

In the North East C.T. is the worst!

25. Stogies

Stogies Jul 9, 2012 Florida

Texas blows

26. DrLaFollette

DrLaFollette Oct 19, 2012 Utah
    Beer Trader

I thought Kansas was bad, then I visited Utah a few weeks ago. It was a beer desert! If I move there in August for a year, I will be bringing my cellar with me

27. paulys55

paulys55 Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

...oh wait, I thought you said prices [exits thread quietly]

28. ZombieFoot

ZombieFoot Jan 16, 2013 Texas

I gotta say its probably Alaska they are weird with alcohol up there to begin with.

29. ZombieFoot

But you have dog fish head, no?

30. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

How so?

31. ZombieFoot

32. GFG

GFG Oct 24, 2012 North Dakota

Considering the Twin Cities population is about 3.4 million while the state as a whole is only 5.4 million, I wouldn't expect much in the other places. Considering there's probably not a town with a population above 10,000 in the northern half of Minnesota it's pretty easy to see why they don't get much. Luckily I live in ND (on the MN border) and we get far more beer options than we should with the extremely small population of the state. Not that I'm going to complain about that! Definitely nowhere near the worst and FAR better than Texas when it comes to amount of good choices. This is just distribution wise, obviously. Brewery wise North Dakota is easily bottom 3. Possibly bottom one. *sigh*....

33. sunkistxsudafed

sunkistxsudafed Apr 30, 2010 New Mexico

are we measuring quality of distribution as number of breweries, quality of beer available or something else? not too get too technical but this seems like a vague question...

34. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Jul 18, 2012 Washington

Are you on Lanai? Loved getting 3.50 la fin du monde and torpedo at Pele's Other Garden.

35. liveordie17

liveordie17 Nov 25, 2010 Florida

You forgot intuition ale work in Jax,FL.

36. JOrtt

JOrtt Dec 20, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

37. Hardcore

Hardcore Jun 24, 2012 Hawaii

Hawaii doesn't sound as bad as some of the other states. It's gotten better around here especially on Kauai, just have to know where to look. This past year some of the notables I've purchased are Deschutes Abyss, Unibroue La Terrible, Ballast point Sculpin (old though), Rochefort 8 and 10, Westmalle tripel, SN Southern Hemisphere, Hoptimum, and Beer Camp, and a few others. Would be nice to get more west coast beers though, but at least we have Maui Brewing and Kauai Island Brewery. The brewery had Coronado Idiot IPA, Lost Coast Indica, Ballast Point Big Eye, and SN Torpedo and Celebration on their guest taps this year. So I'm not complaining, but I do enjoy going to Oahu and the mainland when I get the chance.

38. Derranged

Derranged Mar 7, 2010 New York

I guess I can't complain about New York.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe