Which US beer regions do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Apr 13, 2019.

?

Which US beer regions do you prefer?

Poll closed Dec 13, 2019.
  1. Great Lakes

21.6%
  2. Mid-Atlantic

14.9%
  3. Midwest

16.0%
  4. Mountain

4.6%
  5. New England

33.0%
  6. Northwest

13.9%
  7. Pacific

22.7%
  8. South

2.1%
  9. South-Atlantic

4.1%
  10. Southwest

2.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I'm glad to be in the Mid-Atlantic region. Tons of great PA breweries. Also had the opportunity to try some NJ beer the past few days and it did not disappoint.

mkh012 and 19etz55 like this.
  2. AMessenger

AMessenger Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2018 Pennsylvania

I voted Mid-Atlantic because PA is very impressive. Ranking regions sort of reminds me of this silly scene from Billy Madison:

Ranbot and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  3. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,210) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Trader

????

sharpski likes this.
  4. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (1,200) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

Hope you got to try Kane.

mkh012 and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  5. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Damn right I did! Had Sneak Box and that was the best beer I had out of the bunch.

mkh012 and 19etz55 like this.
  6. johnInLA

johnInLA Pooh-Bah (2,274) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This would be more interesting if the question was what region other then the one you live in do you prefer.

I'm with the majority in calling out my own region.

But my second region would be Belgium. Limit me to the US, and I'll call out New England.

laketang and 19etz55 like this.
  7. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,159) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

19etz55 and johnInLA like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,169) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Dale, Yards was serving tomato pie at their Real Ale Festival yesterday. I did not take note of the bakery name but I ate several slices - yum!!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

P.S. The vast majority of beers at the Real Ale festival were ales (not surprising) but my favorite of the 60 beers available there on cask (gravity pours) was Mainstay Poplar Pils (unfiltered). I went back several times to get refills of that beer.

19etz55 likes this.
  9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,169) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Maybe someday you could start that thread?:thinking_face:

Cheers!

P.S. I will give you my answer to that new thread: PNW.:slight_smile:

10. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

15 or 20 years ago I bought mostly imports or their US clones. 10 to 15 years ago I bought mostly from other states or regions. Today I buy very few beers from out of town and most of those are from breweries from within 100 miles of my house.

19etz55 likes this.
  11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,142) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Had a good time at matchless, and all the fresh hop goodness that season was amazing. I was there for technical training.

sharpski, 19etz55 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  12. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,210) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Tumwater. I was just giving you shit over the R.

jlharman and SFACRKnight like this.
  13. lightman1

lightman1 Zealot (583) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Trader

I didn't vote because I've only been to 4 of the 10 as listed. I have no real desire to live anyplace else. Some of the more desirable beer cultures have politics or demographics that I simply could not live with. However, I do plan to visit the ones that I have not been to at some future date.

19etz55 likes this.
  14. AllOfTheCats

AllOfTheCats Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2018 Wisconsin
    Trader

As much as I love all the good stuff coming out of SoCal, my staples are typically from the Midwest (Founders, Lagunitas) and I love some of their special releases, as well - Goose Island (BCBS), Surly, Revolution, Central Waters, Bent Paddle, Pipeworks, More, and so I went with the Midwest.

It's easier to get great beer in some cities than others, but I agree with others that there is great beer in most, if not all, regions now.

scootercrabb and 19etz55 like this.
  15. Stormfield

Stormfield Pundit (869) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

What breweries in Hudson Valley do you suggest? I’ve had beer from Suarez, which I’ve loved, but am unfamiliar with more than that.

19etz55 likes this.
  16. Stormfield

I’ve traded for beer from all over the country. I stopped trading when I realized I was consistently sending out much better beer than I was getting back in return.

SFACRKnight, cavedave and 19etz55 like this.
  17. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,083) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Suarez alone earns this area highest marks, but Hudson Valley, Captain Lawrence, Equilibrium, Sloop, Rushing Duck, District 96, Industrial Arts, Peekskill, Obercreek, and Brewery at Bacchus are also top quality, and cover a broad gamut of styles. Add a bunch of other up and comers and farm breweries, and other valley breweries not as close to me as those mentioned, and to me this region is beer heaven.

Rocktire and TongoRad like this.
  18. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,327) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

This poll would be a more interesting if people had to choose a region other than the one they live in (i.e. remove the homer factor).

19. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Deactivated

Yeah... why is that? Because they have more experience with those regions? Or more of that "'murica, fuck yeah!" mentality?

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  20. Stormfield

It’s beautiful out in the Hudson Valley for sure. Been to Suarez and love it. Other level stuff like Hill Farmstead. Incidentally we get Sloop and Captain Lawrence in MA, and maybe some of the others you mention.

cavedave likes this.
  21. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,159) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I agree. But actually many probably didn't exclude their own region because the OP didn't mention that part until post #24. Now we likely have a mixed bag of info. :wink:

thesherrybomber likes this.
  22. readyski

readyski Maven (1,399) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

So let's disqualify all homer votes, then see who "wins" :stuck_out_tongue:

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  23. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (3,884) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah

IMO it's more about what's on your shelves vs. what region you're in.

24. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

Lived in Michigan for about 10 years- and always thought that was THE place for the best beer. Moved back to New York and was introduced to the New England scene. It easily stands toe to toe. I have been blown away by what is coming from Vermont, Massachusetts, and Maine. Honestly, Vermont has the best quality vs quantity out of any region I've visited. I dare say it's even more competitive than Michigan, although I know the Mitten has had quite a few new ones start to make waves.

19etz55 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  25. ShanePB

ShanePB Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

I find pleasure in almost all different drinking atmospheres. For example, since I'm from the area, Philadelphia is such a great drinking city (so is NYC) but it is just that; a city. Which is quite a contrast from sipping on a beer at Hill Farmstead's property or something close to the water on the west coast like a Beachwood BBQ. That said, my "vote" would be for New England. Every season is a different experience up there.

19etz55 likes this.
  26. imposterzilla

imposterzilla Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2019 Washington

Pacific and North West..PNW?:stuck_out_tongue:

19etz55 likes this.
  27. sharpski

sharpski Pooh-Bah (2,744) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Perfectly happy with the beer made within 20 miles of me, everything else is a bonus regardless of where it’s from.

SFACRKnight and 19etz55 like this.
  28. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2017 New York
    Trader

Brooklyn/Queens beer works best when you can walk or take public transportation between world class breweries.

19etz55 likes this.
  29. detgfrsh

detgfrsh Savant (1,161) Jun 20, 2014 Texas

I live in the Southwest, voted for Pacific and Northwest. There's great beer to be found all over the county, but I've been particularly impressed with the offerings from San Diego and Bend, Oregon.

30. gopens44

gopens44 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

Despite living in a pretty good beer city, I can't shoot a single hole in your comment. Give me Fat Head, Hoof Hearted, Jackie-O, Bell's and OddSide and I would probably be pretty content. Just started getting Jackie O distro here, would love to get Fat Head. Sadly we lost Bell's because of the squabble between Larry and Reyes...

19etz55 and MistaRyte like this.
  31. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Pooh-Bah (2,325) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Agreed... Jackie Os finally made it to Hampton Roads. Great Lakes hits hard until C'ville then putters out. Come on, Fat Heads!

19etz55 and gopens44 like this.
  32. gopens44

gopens44 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

You make to Richmond at all just hit Corks and Kegs, leading edge on Jackie O and everything else, they've been simply killing it lately. Had Master of Karate on crowley fill yesterday as well...

19etz55 likes this.
  33. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I'm fortunate to live 30 minutes away from Jackie O's.

They're really my go to brewery for about 90% of my "special" beers

19etz55 and gopens44 like this.
  34. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (1,200) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

Especially Kane Brewery!!

mkh012 likes this.
  35. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2019 California

I voted for Pacific, but could have easily voted New England instead. Both regions produce my favorite beers.

19etz55 likes this.
  36. GoodHomey

GoodHomey Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2019

I wonder whether the region affects the taste? Never asked this question before

19etz55 likes this.
  37. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Grand Pooh-Bah (5,047) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Whatever region I am physically in is my favorite because my plan, always is to kick ass and drink great beer.

19etz55 and Rocktire like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.