White Castle gets its own beer (a Kölsch) thanks to Weyerbacher

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,979) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

https://www.brewbound.com/news/weye...s-part-of-post-bankruptcy-reorganization-plan

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddr...-of-weyerbacher-brewing/ar-AAHJlcT?li=BBnb7Kw

Amendm, LuskusDelph, Roguer and 3 others like this.
  2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,267) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

White Castles and beer. I never would've thought of that. :grin:

3. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Meyvn (1,017) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

:thinking_face:
    Im actually quite torn about this news.
    One. I respect Weyerbacher and the beers they've made. Sad to hear of their financial situation.
    Two. Being a White Castle employee at their Michigan/Detroit regional warehouse for almost 17 years and seeing what lousy finacial descions this company has made in the last 10 years, especially the descion to shut down our reginal office and putting alot of hard working dedicated people out of work, so it seems fitting to me that they can spend their money else where instead of paying us. You know "minimize costs to ensure the companies future"

I wish the best for Weyerbacher. Hope the beer is somewhat decent. Will definitely give it a try if I come across it. Just for the sake of respecting craft beer, that is. Not the money hungry Ingram family. :beers: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Amendm, laketang, PapaGoose03 and 7 others like this.
  4. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Crusader (795) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Waiting on the Dogfish Head + Krystal collaboration. A Sahti brewed with sautéed burger onions.

Amendm, FBarber, dcotom and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,827) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

", as well as for package at grocery stores in which frozen White Castle products are sold."

How the heck does that work? I know I've seen frozen White Castle in Casper. Still the 13 state footprint I presume?

Amendm, FBarber, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  6. Ffenski

Ffenski Devotee (400) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

They steam their burgers, I thought Anchor would be a better collaboration.

7. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Disciple (326) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Then Wicked Weed can collab with Cookout on a hushpuppy infused sour that sells for $13 a bottle.

Immortale25, Amendm, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  8. drunkenmess

Society Trader

Actually their packaged frozen burgers make more money than their restaurants do, sadly.

Amendm, LuskusDelph, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  9. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Crusader (795) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Now, a Cook Out blueberry cheesecake milkshake stout I’d be all about.

Amendm likes this.
  10. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,306) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I like their frozen burgers which go well with Hamms.

11. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (388) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

I think the saddest part is that Weyerbacher generally makes very great beer. Maybe that’s just me. Tiny is easily one of my top 3 stouts. Double Simcoe was tremendous. They do Belgians very well. If the plug ever gets pulled on Weyerbacher, I’m sourcing all the Tiny possible and hoarding that shit.

Amendm, DIM, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  12. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,343) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

I've paired White Castle burgers and beer for the last three days straight. Not sure I need beer on draught at White Castle, since .... well, I always buy them in the frozen section. Not even sure where the nearest White Castle is!

Still, if this helps out Weyerbacher post-bankruptcy, then I'm all for it.

13. drunkenmess

Society Trader

Really enjoy their Blasphemy. Also when it was around, Heresy. Tiny really is a great beer. As well as Insanity. Quite the portfolio

Amendm, DIM and Bitterbill like this.
  14. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (388) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

Jeez yeah. How could I forget their barrel program, which is better than many regional breweries. It’s a shame things went sour for them.

15. Brillo

Brillo Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2019

I worked for White Castle back in the 70's and 80's, before the kids took over. It was a great company to work for back then, best of all the fast foods in my opinion.

16. Brillo

Brillo Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2019

Somehow I just can't see White Castle being able to get license to serve beer in a lot of their locations.

17. dcotom

Society Trader

It'd be awesome if the beer was being distributed through White Castle Systems instead of through normal distribution channels. That's the only way we'll get it.
    I wish I'd said this. :beers:

Ffenski, Amendm and Bitterbill like this.
  18. dcotom

Society Trader

Here's a vote for "Ratbürger." :beers:

19. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Poo-Bah (5,452) Oct 13, 2007 Wisconsin

A kölsch-style beer at a White Castle would be one of the best marriages between food and beer. I'm not talking about burgers and beer per se, but how White Castle sells little tiny burgers, and the optics with a beer style where it's poured into tiny 200 ml glassware in Cologne would be amazing. Imagine ordering five burgers with five kölschs,and each tiny pour of beer matching the small size of the burgers.

20. drunkenmess

Society Trader

They already serve beer at certain locations. Actually they are a combination of 2 fast food chains. Blaze (a bbq joint) & White Castle. Kind of like Taco Bell and Pizza Hut combo restaurants.

Amendm and tzieser like this.
  21. rgordon

rgordon Savant (973) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Weyerbacher was way ahead of the market. Pioneers really.

Ranbot, drtth, Bitterbill and 3 others like this.
  22. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (347) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

A kölsch? Really?

The fast food chain's first foray into selling beer and they choose a style the majority of their customers have never heard of, let alone tasted, and is rarely done well by an American brewer.

Amendm likes this.
  23. Todd

Todd Founder (5,979) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Three Weavers in Inglewood, CA (now part of CANarchy) has a flagship Kölsch called Seafarer. Last I heard it was roughly 40% of their sales.

24. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (347) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

I agree that some breweries do it well, but I've drank far more bad or “called, but not really” kölsches than good ones.

It's an uncommon style and one that's difficult to get right. Weyerbacher doesn't currently brew a kölsch, but they do have several APA's; to me it would have made more sense to go with one of those.

Amendm likes this.
  25. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (575) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Interesting that White Castle intends to sell packaged beer at stores that also sell their frozen burgers, shoehorning that Kolsch onto the shelves.

Kolsch does go well with charcoal grilled burgers and likely most other foods (maybe not steak pizzaiola, beef bourguignon etc) and is a perfect pick for summer.

drtth and Bitterbill like this.
  26. Maugan-Ra

Maugan-Ra Initiate (58) Dec 19, 2014 New Jersey

Pretty sure the NJ White Castles (of Harold and Kumar fame) won't get this, or rather, they won't get a mob issued liquor license to be allowed to sell it here.

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  27. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,135) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I can’t wait to see a collaboration with Arby’s.

officerbill likes this.
  28. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,048) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

A Kolsch, even if done poorly, is light enough to appeal to the masses. A Pale Ale would be too hoppy for some.

officerbill likes this.
  29. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (498) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

ISO Horsey Sauce Stout

30. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,135) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I was thinking of a Beef’n Cheddar kettle sour.

officerbill likes this.