White IPAs: Failed Experiment or Too Early to Tell

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by spoonhawk, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaronRodgersMVP12

AaronRodgersMVP12 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Wisconsin

i enjoyed white hatter

2. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (198) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Any beer can be a "failed experiment". There are good and bad examples of any style of beer.

3. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,132) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I suspect a raging bitch differs with everyone. On principal. :wink:

djsmith1174 and DrStiffington like this.
  4. slander

slander Site Editor (2,096) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Premium Member

The worst black IPA is better than the best white IPA.

(Did I say that out loud?)

flayedandskinned likes this.
  5. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (448) Apr 20, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

Anchorage Galaxy is very good.

ThirstyFace likes this.
  6. PrestonD

PrestonD Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2013 Missouri

Although it is the one and only White IPA i've tried, I thought Boulevards "Reboot White IPA" was really enjoyable... and 750ml bottles are abundant in the KC area and only $8-9...
    I believe it was originally a collaboration between Deschutes and Boulevard several years ago that Boulevard decided to update and remake... hence "Reboot"...

LambicPentameter likes this.
  7. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (833) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I think craft brewers should fine a different way to market new beers than calling them (fill in the blank)IPA.

8. MNishCT77

MNishCT77 Defender (672) Jun 6, 2008 District of Columbia

Saranac's White IPA is one of their best beers, I think, and underrated on this site.

9. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

The only thing close I've had to a White IPA is Green Flash's Le Freak, which I actually really enjoyed.

10. atomic

atomic Disciple (332) Sep 22, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Not with the right hops... Any hops with an abundance of tropical and citrus flavors go great with Belgian yeast, particularly Westmalle. Little Sumpin Wild is a perfect example of that.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  11. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 New York

I think Sam Adams Whitewater IPA is an awesome beer. Saranac makes a good one too. I'm on board for now

12. ThirstyFace

Wtf does that mean?

13. shand

shand Meyvn (1,424) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Anchorage's Galaxy White is basically the only White IPA I'd ever take over an average standard IPA. Same with their Bitter Monk being the only Belgian IPA I'd take over an average standard IPA. If everyone who's not Anchorage would stop trying to brew Belgian-style IPAs, it'd be great.

14. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Poo-Bah (2,310) Feb 16, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

New Holland's White Hatter was not bad. Would like to revisit that one but now live in Floeida so a bit out of reach.

drinker36 likes this.
  15. 071184

071184 Initiate (136) Sep 10, 2013 Texas

Really?? I think that a belgian yeast can add interesting character to a "standard" IPA. Think Stone's Cali-Begique or Clown Shoes Tramp Stamp. I realize neither of these are White IPAs- though I do think Deschutes' Chain Breaker is a decent beer. I think the white IPA style will grow for sure, along with BIPA and RIPA etc etc- it's all about finding the right balance of yeast character/ spice & hop profile.

16. TheFlern

TheFlern Initiate (0) May 9, 2009 Idaho

This.

beertunes likes this.
  17. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,446) Mar 18, 2010 California

Just like every beer style, some are good and some are bad.

poopinmybutt likes this.
  18. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (358) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

3 of those beers are basically the same beer, if I understand the history. Des chutes and Boulevard collaborated on, well, Collaboration #2. Deschutes then produced it on a volume basis, versus what Boulevard thought was a one-off: Chainbreaker. Boulevard then said, oh yeah? Two can play that game, we contributed the recipe to the collaboration in the first place, and this is right in our wheelhouse: hence, Reboot.

19. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (285) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

They are great. I think people trashing them are hardcore ipa fans. Im not one of those and I appreciate this style because it gives me the nice hops without the biterness of an ipa.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  20. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

black power!

21. ThirstyFace

Yes. Why are you feigning otherwise? What's so special about your opinion that you think we can't handle it?

22. freakeconomist

freakeconomist Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2013 Georgia

Thanks for posting this. My company is releasing the Accumulation in a week and I hadn't had the chance to try it yet. I'm excited about it though, especially after the disappointing Pumpkick.

Goosey likes this.
  23. xclone25x

xclone25x Initiate (115) May 5, 2012 Ohio

I love the concept. Locally, a brewery called Blank Slate makes a white IPA called The Lesser Path. Delicious.

24. DemoniChris

DemoniChris Disciple (313) Jun 4, 2013 Nebraska

I think they're definitely more inconsistent than black IPAs. But I'm sure someone will perfect the style just as breweries seem to do with every new emerging style of beer.

25. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,707) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium Member

I have only tried 2-3 beers that describe themselves as white IPA and they have not been my favorites. The ones I am thinking of were like a cross between witbier and American IPA, with witbier yeast character and/or spicing and lots of juicy American hops. I found those flavors to be clashing.

On the contrary, I have had hoppy American wheat beers, i.e., beers brewed with neutral yeast, a good portion of wheat, and lots of American hops, and I enjoy these beers.

DemoniChris likes this.
  26. ncstateplaya

ncstateplaya Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2008 North Carolina

I've had several White IPAs and have been underwhelmed. I can see the appeal of the style for some drinkers, but the style just doesn't do it for me. I pretty much feel the same way about Black IPAs, too.

As to your distinguishing between Hoppy Wits and Hoppy Tripels...I can definitely say I prefer the Hoppy Tripels.
    Just of the ones you've listed above, I've had the Anchorage Galaxy (really liked the Brett in this beer), NB Belgo, Boulevard Reboot, SA Whitewater, GF Le Freak, Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen, Lagunitas Little Sumpin Wild, FD Raging Bitch, and SA Grumpy Monk.

beertunes likes this.
  27. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,486) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Your history isn't quite right, as it makes it sound like there is/was some sort of conflict between the two breweries over the production, and from everything I've read, that is not the case. Also, you're missing part of the lineage--back in 2011, Deschutes and Boulevard collaborated, with Boulevard releasing Collaboration No. 2 and Deschutes releasing Conflux No. 2. The recipe base was the same, but the two beers were brewed in separate facilities with minor variances in the final beer.

Then Deschutes decided to produce a larger-production run that was based on Conflux, but was again different. For example, Chainbreaker had no lemongrass or sage and was 5.6% abv, compared to the 7.3% abv of Conflux No. 2. I don't know whether or not they asked Boulevard or not, but I also have gotten the impression from what I've read that Boulevard didn't really feel as if they were owed any kind of right of refusal, since it's not like the release of Chainbreaker has any negative impact on them. Now Reboot has been released, and it's recipe is again slightly different from the original Collaboration No. 2 upon which it is based.

I've tried all of the beers in question except for Conflux No. 2, and I don't think they are any more similar to each other than four similar American IPAs would be to one another. I also don't think there is any element of gamesmanship or conflict between the two breweries--it's not like Deschutes pulled a fast one and released a full-production beer instead of a limited beer. They came back to the recipe, likely after seeing how popular the one-off was, and Boulevard to a similar approach on a slightly longer timeline.

I think you might be onto something here. Especially the comments that have suggested that they wish the style would go away because they don't personally like it. Not really an attitude I understand, since there are plenty of beers for people to enjoy without needing to hope for the disappearance of a style that others may enjoy.

I'm also not understanding the sentiment that hoppy flavor profiles can't play well with the spices from a traditional wit. I can understand people not personally preferring how they mix, but to declare that they can't work seems a bit overly dismissive. Oh well, more for me!

28. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (849) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

I wouldn't say fail, as some have been pretty good. I found the Breaking Bad tribute beer Walt's White Lie to be fantastic

29. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Just picked up a six pack of Harpoon White IPA and I am enjoying the balance of spiciness and hops. Seems a little more mellow than the 100bbl series version - which I also liked, but not as much due to some menthol thing going on.

30. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,185) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

If "white" IPA's and Belgian yeast IPA's both went away tomorrow I wouldn't be upset.

beertunes and AlcahueteJ like this.
  31. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (358) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

OK. I didn't mention Conflux but the point was the two breweries brewed from the same recipe, which I was told Boulevard came up with 100%.

I agree there are minor differences in the beers, which I was describing as in the nature of "tweaks". But I can see how others would differ, and in retrospect the changes from Conflux/Collab #2 to Chainbreaker are certainly more than minimal. I stand by the position that Chainbreaker is inspired by and directly derivative of Conflux/Collab#2, the recipe of which was developed by Boulevard.

I guarantee you there was butthurt, though it will never be admitted publicly, over the full scale production of Chainbreaker without the courtesy of a heads-up. I won't go into any further detail and if you choose to disagree, the last word will be yours.

I neglected to mention earlier I like your breakdown of these styles but think your second category is further divisible into two: a) Belgian IPAs which derive from tripels, ie a hopped-up-with-American-hops tripels, of which Houbbelen Chouffe Doubellen IPA is a hallmark and one of the originators, and b) Belgian IPAs which derive from American IPAs brewed with a Belgian yeast, of which Stone's Cali-Belgique was either an original or a very early adapter, several years back.

There are also a subcategory of this second group, American DIPAs brewed with Belgian yeast.

But I agree wholeheartedly with your differentiation of the witbier-based "white IPA" from all of these, and the exclusion of "wheaty" Belgian IPAs (Sumpin Wild) from the "white IPA" category.

32. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,486) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Well, I'm always skeptical to accept guarantees--especially ones that are short on details and depend on some well-placed caveats. For example: the part about not admitting publicly pretty much puts this in the realm of hearsay and "insider" information, which reduces it to a conversation about what people have "heard". Which is all good--I know a lot of information is passed on that way--but it does make it difficult to debate which is the correct interpretation.

So I guess I'll put it this way: I tend to take Boulevard's "public" (in quotes because what I've read hasn't been all Boulevard-proper, official channel info, but it has been publicly available all the same) stance on the matter at face value. I have a suspicion that the displeasure--if it exists--amounts to annoyance at not being given a heads up, rather than some objection to the idea of Deschutes producing Chainbreaker at all.

But now it seems academic anyway, since both breweries have a take on the style that seem like they will be regular seasonals moving forward.

PS - I agree with your subcategorization of the non-White IPA Belgian IPAs into Tripels with aggressive hopping or IPAs with Belgian yeast. As well as with your selection of Houblon Chouffe and Cali-Belgique as the hallmarks of each style.

southdenverhoo likes this.
  33. ZachKelly

ZachKelly Devotee (431) Dec 25, 2012 Virginia

I've had a few 'white IPA's' and most weren't memorable. The Wheat based IPA's I've had have all been phenomenal.

34. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,132) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I thought Cali-Belgique was a horrible mess, and Chainbreaker, while not terrible, was a rare disappointment from Deschutes.

35. patkorn

patkorn Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2007 California

Totally agree. The problem is there is no clear definition of what a White IPA is. It's either a hoppy wit beer or an IPA made with wheat malt.

36. labattblueribbon

labattblueribbon Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2013 New York

Blue Point Brewery has a pretty dope handle on the white IPA.

37. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Devotee (475) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I hadn't liked one until today, tried the Harpoon White IPA and was shocked by how good it was. Until now I've never had a good experience with one.

38. Brenden

Brenden Poo-Bah (3,803) Feb 25, 2008 Ohio
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Is "pretty successful thus far" not an option?

Johnnyhitch likes this.
  39. azorie

azorie Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

how far from a real IPA does it have to go until its just not a IPA anymore? why not just give it a new name? its NOT like ANYONE sticks to anyone definition of a style anyway. If its good beer drink it, if not pour it out.....

40. Johnnyhitch

Johnnyhitch Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Blue Point White IPA is great.

I DO have a problem with the name "white IPA" and I think BP just has a large portion of wheat instead of coriander/orange

Wit IPA....White IPA.
    Is SUCKS a white IPA?
    Is Galaxy a white IPA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.