White Labs WLP070 Bourbon Yeast

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by dbc5, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbc5

dbc5 Jun 18, 2009 Arizona

Was wondering if anyone has experience with this yeast in a high gravity ale. I sort of stumbled upon this one and am intrigued by the idea of throwing this in a huge English barleywine or even in an over the top imperial stout. White Labs description is as follows.

From a tradtional distillery in the heart of Bourbon country, this strain produces a carmel, malty character with balanced ester profile. Suitable for Bourbon or other American Whiskey with barley, rye, or corn as the base grain. Used in high-gravity beers.

2. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

I'm intrigued. Do a batch of massive wort too big to take a hydrometer reading on and pitch that yeast on it, get a 20+% ABV Strong Ale aged on American Oak...

bgjohnston likes this.
  3. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Hrmmmmmm... I am interested in that.. I'm wanting to do a "white chocolate" beer ala the bruery soon.

Wheatwine with vanilla beans, cocoa nibs, and aged in bourbon.

Duff27 likes this.
  4. afrokaze

afrokaze Jun 12, 2009 Oregon

I almost want to go the opposite way and make a dark mild or schwarzbier with it.

Eriktheipaman and APreacher like this.
  5. FATC1TY

Man.. I wish I had a local store that carried white lab yeast...

That yeast is really making me want to brew a wheatwine this fall, and let it age away until this time next year.

6. dbc5

I am glad to hear I'm not the only one whose interest was piqued by this yeast. This was the first I'd come across it, so at the very least, I was hoping it would intrigue others. I've attempted to find additional information about the use of this for homebrewing purposes, but all searches have returned little more than the White Labs description of the yeast. It sounds like we can count on FATC1TY for at least one data point regarding this yeast. I'm thinking I might need to track down a vial of this as well and brew an enormous English barleywine that spends a significant time aging on some American oak cubes soaked in quality bourbon. This should make for a fun brew.

7. FATC1TY

Yeah, I'm searching to see if I can find this yeast. Medium flocc, 80% attenuation.. sounds perfect.

I think a whitewine would be ballin' with this. Get the ABV up, and lets me mash and keep some body in the beer still. The notes would meld perfect with a caramel, toasty coconut, vanilla base flavor, and then you get the oak from aging it...

Yes... indeed it would be a great evening summer beer to sit back and enjoy when you want that high ABV, put you to sleep bourbon beer at night.

The only issue, would be that it's made for making distilled beverages, and it appears it's sold in HUGE amounts as one would need alot to pitch.. Still curious about it though.

8. dbc5

Alright, I've started playing around with a preliminary recipe for a beer utilizing this yeast. Here is what I'm thinking. I'm looking forward to any and all feedback

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
    Boil Time: 180 minutes
    Est Original Gravity: 1.138

25lbs Maris Otter
    2lbs Light Brown Sugar
    1lb Crystal 120
    1lb Honey Malt
    4 oz Chocolate Malt
    2 oz Admiral Hops (60 min)
    1.5 oz East Kent Goldings (30 min)
    1.5 oz East Kent Goldings (10 min)
    **Plan to pull off the first 1.5 gallons and boil down to .5 gallons

Yeast: WLP070 (calling for nearly 4 liter starter)

9. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

I'd stay away from both with it, unless you plan to add a shit load of unfermentables. The WLP070 is more attenuative than WLP001, which would tear through a session beer and make it watery/thin/weird.

10. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

Replace that honey malt with Aromatic malt or melanoidin malt and I think it looks great. Honey malt has this weird flavor that when used in more than a couple ounces really come through in the final product. Melanoidin and Aromatic really just add a deep malty flavor to the beer without much sweetness.

If you're planning on aging this for a long time, you could up the bitterness to around 70-100 IBU (Theoretical), as there is a huge malt back drop for this beer that could use some more bitterness to balance it out, especially as it ages.

bgjohnston likes this.
  11. ColForbinBC

ColForbinBC Sep 9, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

I actually have a RIS in secondary right now with the 050 Whiskey yeast. We did a double batch, half got 007, half got 050. I am real curious to see how this turns out.

12. dbc5

Thanks, this is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for, specifically with regard to the honey malt. In truth, it is a grain that I've never used before but has intrigued me for awhile. I added it to the recipe somewhat speculatively to see what others thought. I will pull that and substitute Aromatic in its place. Maybe I'll drop a few ounces of honey malt in a DIPA at some point down the road.

Please let us know how this turns out. I'm very intrigued. How long has the RIS been conditioning in secondary?

13. MrOH

MrOH Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

I really like using a small amount of honey malt in IPAs and saisons to give a sweet impression but still having a dry body.

14. ColForbinBC

Society

About 3 weeks. Our plan was to bottle this in mid-september or so.

15. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Jul 7, 2011 Colorado

One more thing to keep in mind is that typically with a really big beer you are going to lose a couple points in efficiency. I don't know if you have taken that into account in that recipe or not, but just wanted to throw it out as a possibility.

16. elephantrider

elephantrider Mar 25, 2011 Michigan

Did this get bottled? Did you sample any while bottling?

17. ColForbinBC

Society

No, we haven't bottled yet. We decided to extend secondary for another 6 weeks or so. Schedule was just too crowded with other stuff. I will report back.

18. ColForbinBC

Society

Ok, I have an update on this project. We did a 10gal batch of RIS and half got 007 and the other half got the 050. We bottled the 007 last night and whiskey/oaked the 050 batch, but we pulled a sample prior for comparison purposes. The 007 finished much cleaner and 10 gravity points higher. The 050 batch developed a fairly intense soy sauce flavor. The whiskey and oak will help mask this a bit, but we were disappointed. Fermentation conditions were the same for both batches. I guess it could have gotten oxidized somewhere. Sorry my experiment didn't yield better results.

elephantrider and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. kalvarez

kalvarez Jul 22, 2010 Wisconsin

Any recent experiences with this yeast?

elephantrider likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.