Whitish film on top of beer 3 weeks in

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by hojo813, Sep 14, 2018.

1. hojo813

hojo813 Initiate (17) Aug 3, 2018 Virginia

I am currently brewing a batch of Amber ale. A kind of clone of Sam Adams Boston lager. My Brew day was 18 dada ago. Fermentation looked like it went according to plan. I checked at last about a week ago. Temperature is a steady 74 degrees...now there is this white film on top, almost like soap scum. It won't dissipate. I do not use soap to clean my carboy. Just a little oxy clean with massive rinsing. Never had a problem until now. Any help? I have pictures but can't seem to find a way to load them on here...

riptorn likes this.
  2. minderbender

minderbender Initiate (179) Jan 18, 2009 New York

That, uhhhhh... that does sound like a pellicle. If it were my beer I would let it develop and, well, you can see my thoughts in this thread. But note that in that case, the guy liked the taste he was getting. If the beer starts to taste/smell nasty, just dump it.

3. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (64) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Does it look like one of the images here.

4. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,253) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

Upload your pics to a third party hosting site like imgur.com and go to that pic on that site. Copy the Direct link to your clipboard and use the Image icon on the edit bar (just right of smiley face) to insert it into a post.

riptorn likes this.
  5. hojo813

Oh god no!!!!!

riptorn likes this.
  6. minderbender

So here's the thing. A pellicle is just a film of organic material. It only forms weird bubbly shapes and alien cityscapes if it's inflated by bubbles of gas. A white film that forms on the top of your beer three weeks in seems as though it is almost certainly a pellicle, it just hasn't been inflated.

But! Who knows, maybe not. We're going to need to see some pictures before we can make a diagnosis I think.

riptorn likes this.
  7. hojo813

I think I will dump it. Not going to go to a third party site just to upload a pic. That's just dumb.

8. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,446) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

It's definitely easier to rebrew a beer than to spend 3 minutes setting up a free imgur account.

BTW, white film could also describe the yeast raft remnants of a normal krausen.

9. minderbender

Yeah, but the question seems to indicate that a week ago there wasn't anything notable, and now there is something that looks like white soap scum on top of the beer. Granted it could be yeast, but it would be a little unusual. I guess maybe if the beer warmed up, some CO2 came out of solution, and some stuff ended up on the surface?

10. hojo813

If I bottle it and conditioning will it continue to grow???

11. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,446) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

That depends on what "it" is.

12. frozyn

frozyn Zealot (561) May 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

Don't even need a free account for Postimages.org

13. Bryan12345

Bryan12345 Devotee (487) Mar 17, 2016 Texas

NOOOO!!!

NEVER dump a beer unless you are absolutely certain that it is nasty and undrinkable!

Mothergoose03 likes this.