Who brewed or is brewing this weekend?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by PeprSprYoFace, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeprSprYoFace

PeprSprYoFace Savant (938) Feb 18, 2008 California
    Trader

I'm back to brewing after about a 6 month hiatus and I don't know why I ever stopped. I got my Blichman to tier in the mail on Tuesday and worked on putting it together the rest of the week. Yesterday I brewed up an IPA kit from northern brewer (dead ringer all grain) and the system is awesome. Love the top tier especially since it saves space on my small apartment balcony and makes the process a lot faster. Any way can't wait to brew the breakfast stout kit I got from them in a couple days and then I'm gunna jump back into my own recipies once again.

Any way who's brewin this weekend? Anyone else comin back from a hiatus?

2. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Zealot (507) Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

It seems that I am alway coming back from a hiatus. I just work too much and have other stuff going on.
    I brewed a Black IPA yesterday. First impressions are that it may be a little too bitter. I can't believe I just said that. Every time I brew, though I love it even more.

3. PeprSprYoFace

Trader

4. baybassboy

baybassboy Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2011 California

Bottling a Blonde (at my hombrew buddy's wife's request) tonight after work. I gotta say that I am more looking forward to the beers I'm gonna drink during the process than the beer I am bottling

5. krol

krol Initiate (0) May 29, 2008 Ohio

I am ready to bottle a Baltic Porter. 3 weeks in the secondary and I'm ready to try it. Anyone have any thoughts on priming with dry malt extract rather than with corn sugar? I can't remember if the ratio for a 5 gallon batch is about the same as corn sugar.

6. steve8robin

steve8robin Savant (957) Nov 7, 2009 Massachusetts

Just finished up brewing an APA. This will be my first batch in my new fermentation chest freezer, so we'll see the impact temp controlled fermentation will have. Psyched.

7. joshodonn

joshodonn Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2011 Florida

Based on my experience it will have a MAJOR impact... I think temp controlled fermentation has been the biggest single contributing factor to the improvement in my brewing over the last 3+ years.

steve8robin likes this.
  8. goodonezach

goodonezach Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2011 New York

just brewed an amber ale yesterday. it looks pretty good so far, but i was kinda distracted cuz i was also cooking. first time i've ever cooked and brewed. the fire alarm went off. i'm not going to do that again. lesson learned.

9. mikehblack

mikehblack Initiate (130) Feb 10, 2010 California
    Trader

Brewed an Imperial Stout last night. Airlock is going nuts today, woke up to it completely filled and bursting with krausen. It's my first brew in 8 months. Can't believe I waited this long.

10. jmich24

jmich24 Devotee (480) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

I brewed a biab Flanders Red earlier in the week, pitched Roeselare and Jolly pumpkin dregs from the beginning. It fermented like crazy within 12 hours but only lasted 24. It now has big clear bubbles on the top, I think it is infected :wink:. Yesterday brewed a hoppy wheat with Citra and Cascade.

11. weatherdog

weatherdog Zealot (542) Nov 7, 2007 Illinois

The wife brewed a Flanders Red on Friday which was pitched on to some washed sour bugs that came out of the carboy of the Flanders that I just bottled after 23 months in the carboy.

I then started the sour mash for a sour porter that I'll be finishing on Monday or Tuesday depending on how sour I feel it's getting.

rmalinowski4 likes this.
  12. jmich24

Did you let your flanders sit on the yeast cake for the entire 23 months? My plan (until im told or read otherwise) is to let my Flanders sit on the Roeselare cake for four months, then rack the flanders to a secondary, finally rack new wort on the same roeselare cake w/ more Jolly Pumkin dregs. I plan to do this process twice and for the fourth batch buy new Roeselare Pack and start the process all over again. 15 Gallons per year. This way I can have sour for life ready every four months!

13. weatherdog

weatherdog Zealot (542) Nov 7, 2007 Illinois

From brewday to bottling it sat in the same exact carboy for 23 months. I know a lot of people say to transfer to prevent autolysis but I don't believe that is much of a threat in small scale homebrew production. It tasted absolutely wonderful and is much better than my first attempt. I hope this 3rd Flanders is even better than that.

14. jmich24

Care to share or BM me your recipe? This was my first Flanders and I am hoping for the best. Any insights on how you improved your recipe along the way would be greatly appreciated.

15. koopa

koopa Poo-Bah (2,059) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey
    Society

Just brewed a hoppy red/amber ale with Marris Otter, Melanoiden, Carared, and a touch of Chocolate Malt. Columbus, Chinook, and Simcoe hop profile.

Just bottled a Rye IPA brewed with Nugget/Tettnang hops and split two ways. Half dry hopped with Simcoe and Willamette (to emphasize the spicy rye) and the other half dry hopped with citra and nugget (to give a more citrusy quality)

16. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

Currently brewing a large, very hoppy black IPA and a west coast bitter.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  17. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (435) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Bottled todat. A Belgian-style Dubbel. I pulled a bit under half out after primary was done and racked onto oaj chips I'd had soaking in bourbon. Now to wait for conditioning. I'll have to wait about a month for next brewday,, think I may try my first full size allgrain.

18. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Aspirant (286) Oct 22, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

I didn't brew this weekend, but yesterday I upgraded my burner to a 20 psi regulator, assembled my cooler mash tun, rebuilt 2 new kegs, and cleaned up my brewing area. Today I went to a friends house to help/watch him brew all grain so I can get a better idea when I attempt my first all grain batch.

19. JimmyTango

JimmyTango Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2011 California

Brewed an APA that I am super excited about. Chinook, Simcoe, and Centenial. Gonna' put it on some toasty oak chips for a bit of extra flair. A bit worried that it was really cold last night and no bubble yet :slight_frown:

... we'll see.

20. OddNotion

OddNotion Zealot (584) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Brewed a robust? milk porter today with a bunch of leftover ingredients. Smelled really good actually, happy thus far, lets hope it ferments well.

21. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Disciple (303) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia

Courtesy repost of pix...
    [​IMG]

Nicely done...sir!

As for weekend brewing...Tree Brewing's Hop Head DIPA knock-off.

PeprSprYoFace likes this.
  22. ventura78

ventura78 Aspirant (268) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

I brewed on wednesday.......18 gallons of a dark strong, and 6 of a La chouffe clone....toured two breweries yesterday,,,,,Shipyard and Allagash, and spent 2 hours at this place

http://novareresbiercafe.com/

Today I bottled 18 gallons of a Karmeliet triple clone...........it's been a fun 4 days......

23. joshodonn

joshodonn Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2011 Florida

Man I hope you were bottling into bombers.... I think I'd go crazy if I had to sit down and fill ~180 12-ouncers....

24. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

Is this something you developed on your own or pulled from a message board? My wife loves this stuff, and I've been meaning to clone it to surprise her with...

25. thepenguin

thepenguin Devotee (460) Aug 8, 2010 Massachusetts

Brewed a rye IPA yesterday. All Amarillo. Kind of my attempt at a Red's Rye PA clone.

26. ventura78

It came to 120 - 12 oz, 12 corked 750's and 4 magnums.......

27. ventura78

A few years ago I asked the guy at the Homebrew shop to come up with a recipe for it.....

6 gallon batch

11 lbs Pilsen malt Franco- Belges
    2.5 lbs light wheat
    1 lb flaked oats
    1.5 lb table sugar

1 oz east kent goldings 60 min, 1 oz east kent goldings 15 min, 1/2 oz saaz 1min
    .25 oz crushed corriander and 1 oz dried orange peel last 10 min....
    wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

28. GRBrew

GRBrew Initiate (141) Jan 12, 2009 Michigan

I brewed a RIS yesterday with a smaller stout partigyle. Missed the addition of coffee in the RIS but remembered it in the smaller stout. I also transfered to keg a Kate the Great clone. After about 3 hours of carbing I couldn't wait. Tasted great and had some nice lacing for so little carb. Can't wait to get home tonight.

29. premierpro

premierpro Aspirant (260) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan

I brewed 10 Gallons of California Common.

30. PeprSprYoFace

Trader

Just put the coffee in after fermentation has ceased. Like a dry hop. It will be fine. Or if you like to secondary put it in there.

31. GRBrew

GRBrew Initiate (141) Jan 12, 2009 Michigan

I planned to do a cold brew and put it in secondary in addition to adding it to the boil.

32. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

I bottled my sour berry batch (4 different berries, one gallon of each. Strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, and blueberry). I also transferred the rest of that sour beer onto some fresh guava, so that will be ready to bottle in about 2 months.

I then brewed a new batch. A sour pale with 58% Pilsner, 34% Wheat, and 8% Munich. I am going to add peaches and honey a few months before bottling

BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  33. Utawana

Utawana Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 New York

brewed up a kolsch and got to use my new kab6 burner. A timesaver for big batches - my first runnings were boiling before I could collect my second! No time lag at all between the end of mashing and 60 minute additions.
    edit: I also haven't brewed in a bit (since October). Feels good.

34. gdkersey

gdkersey Initiate (121) Mar 6, 2008 Massachusetts

Is this a regular brew you do? I was just putting together a clone recipe for Karmeliet yesterday, but I didn't include any wheat (also had flaked barley instead of oats).

35. ventura78

Yes it is one of our regular brews........this is the best of the 4 regulars we have,,,,,,,,

I'de try the wheat and oats, it comes out good.....

36. gdkersey

gdkersey Initiate (121) Mar 6, 2008 Massachusetts

Good to hear, that's what I'll plan on. I just went to the Bosteels website (probably where I should have started!) and right on the Karmeliet page it says they use wheat, oats, and barley.

37. frenetic7

frenetic7 Initiate (30) Dec 9, 2007 California
    Trader

Had my first all grain brew. Was intimidated but had my fellow homebrew club members to mentor me and offer advice:

5 gallons, I made substitutions based on the Raging Red Irish Red ale here, substitutions are in parenthesis:
    http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/raging-red-irish-red-ale-239188/
    8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
    1.00 lb (Carared) Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
    0.50 lb (Crystal 120) Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
    0.50 lb (Victory) Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
    Hops:
    1.00 oz (Cascade) Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
    1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min)
    1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
    1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)
    Going to add a pound or two of honey in primary either today or tomorrow!

38. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Brewing this on Friday: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2008/02/temptation-clone.html

This is a part of our homebrew club barrell project, we have 14 people brewing five gallons each of this beer to be fermented and then aged in a honey wine barrell that Minneapolis Town Hall used for a belgian pale ale...then we received it (for free) from them.

39. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Initiate (148) Feb 2, 2010 South Carolina

I was craving a nice berliner weisse and decided to brew one.

The plan:

2# 2 Row
    2# Wheat Malt

I mashed for 60 minutes around 150F on Tuesday. Sparged and collected 3.5 gal wort in bucket. Added a handful of crushed gain and place in incubator (fridge with heat lamp) and maintained at 110F as well as possible. I tasted it at day 2 and 4 and it was nice and tart at day 2, and mouth puckeringly sour at day 4, but in a good way.
    Boil for 15 minutes and hopped with 0.5oz hallertau. Pitched liquid kolsch yeast in a 500 mL starter.

I might rack it onto raspberries after it ferments out, but that's to be decided.

40. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

now you have me craving a berliner weisse... too the drawing board!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.