Who Buys Shandies?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Troutbeerbum, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (185) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

The Shandy’s are out, it’s the end of April. I laugh every time I see them appear, by the time pumpkin beers show up, the shandy’s will be piled to the ceiling in a corner or end of an aisle with cut rate prices to get rid of them, and the process repeats itself with the pumpkin ales. It’s a vicious cycle.
    Anyone in retail/distribution that can explain why these keep appearing year after year in bulk only to collect dust until Labor Day has come and gone.Who do these beers appeal to? Is it the straight laced all American mom and dad on vacation? A gateway beer for hard lemonade fans to enter “craft” ? Or Summer=lemonade+beer= “Great idea, order a shitload of it”?

2. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (556) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Hey, back when I was 21 or 22 I enjoyed them. Also, leave pumpkin beers alone. Some, and I said some, of them are enjoyable.

Pmicdee, TomTrocc, TheBrewsky and 6 others like this.
  3. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,299) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

No it's not my first choice but I honestly do enjoy the occasional Summer Shandy from leinenkugel's. It's a well ( albeit mass produced ) made beer.

4. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (479) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

The real irony in that fruity concoctions are all the rage in the beer community right now. Guess fruity beers need to be brewery only with low limits to be good.

5. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,957) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

No idea if anyone buys shandy, much less who or why. I'd take a Mike's Hard Lemonade before a shandy.

KentT, BeerseAnyone and Mvsmvs92 like this.
  6. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Living in a sub-tropical climate I find they have their place.

7. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (3,136) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

On a hot humid day, a Shandy is damn good.

8. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Nah, not a fruit in the beer guy, but I'd easily opt for Pils Urquell or something similar in its place.

9. Patrick_OKC

Patrick_OKC Aspirant (278) Apr 26, 2017 Texas
    Society

After working in the yard for a few hours in the Texas heat, they actually hit the spot, at least in the early afternoon.

Pat

10. sculls65

sculls65 Aspirant (260) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

Exactly.. But those are called hazy milkshakes.. Or special sour dry hopped IPA's. So there is that difference

11. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (10,488) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I will certainly have the occasional shandy or radler - I really used to enjoy them (as well as diesels) made at the bar when I was in Germany one really hot summer.

12. laketang

laketang Poo-Bah (1,567) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

If the choices are limited and it is hot out at an outdoor party i`'ll drink one

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  13. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Who buys Shandies? The same people who buy NDEIPAs!!

14. AWA

AWA Defender (632) Jul 22, 2014 California
    Society

Same people who buy wine coolers. Not judging, just saying

BeerseAnyone, DISKORD, Ranbot and 3 others like this.
  15. eLMsITYbUM

eLMsITYbUM Initiate (68) Oct 24, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

I love me some Narragansett Del's Shandy in the hot summer weather! But what you are referring to is how they become "shelf turds". My answer is that I have no clue. It does seem to happen with most mass produced beers around here. Just the other day at the supermarket, I saw winter variety packs form several big craft breweries. Also have started seeing all the summer packs. They just put the same brands seasonal packs side by side, same price and everything. Went to Chili's(out of hunger and location) last night and was sad to hear that they had three taps of Sam Adams and didn't have the NEIPA on. They had summer, 76 and porch rocker on. Opted for Goose Island IPA.... No judging!

16. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Do you have any data to support your assertion that they don't sell?

Seems to me, so many showing indicates that there must be a market for it.

Although not a personal favorite of mine, a poolside/lake party/beach is a place where I have seem them enjoyed by a wide range of folks not in the "beer geek" scene.

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  17. nc41

Society Trader

Btw, my wife loves Steigl Radlers, I love a sip, tastes like soda.

18. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (185) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

No data, and yes, it seems a lot of folks like them here. I do know for a fact that they do end up case upon case in the discount section/ on sale every fall. It seems like last years leftovers were on the shelves at the grocery store until January. I see the same thing with pumpkin ales, love them or hate them.

5thOhio, BeerseAnyone and eLMsITYbUM like this.
  19. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,866) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Hoppin Frog Turbo Shandy >>> Mike's Hard Lemonade for my palate and preferences. YMMV

20. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I was stationed in England when I was 19, sitting in a pub on a rather warm afternoon, I watched the bartender making a shandy, an thinking out loud I said I might want to try one. The older gentleman sitting next to me gave me an elbow and said to me “women drink those “...suffice to say, I didn’t order one!!

21. nc41

Society Trader

Lol, funny stuff. So what makes a shandy in a bar? Lemonade I expect.

22. magilldm

magilldm Initiate (36) May 2, 2015 Pennsylvania

I played college soccer and we did a 2 week trip during August in Germany and hit a few festivals...all the folks told us soccer players drank them, however it was with 7up and not lemonade.

Can’t say I buy many now, save for some of the fruited UFO’s or a single here and there

5thOhio and BeerseAnyone like this.
  23. Lahey

Lahey Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I think lemon notes would go beautifully in an IPA, but I probably wouldn't add lemonade to get it... to each their own though. If it tastes good, enjoy it!

24. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,045) Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina

in college we used to buy Leinenkugel lemonade shandy only because the girls we used to hang out with would drink them like water

ahh OSU, buy a case or a bottle and you'd get so much more

wspscott, BeerseAnyone and 25Comical like this.
  25. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,180) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina

Heard the same thing in Berlin about Berliner Weisse. :slight_smile:

5thOhio, DonObiWan, jmdrpi and 4 others like this.
  26. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,957) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Though I don't care much for Shandies, in college on hot summer days we would drink Schlitz Twists; Schlitz Malt Liquor on ice with a twist of lemon. The fresh real lemon made it quite a bit better than a Shandy. Or that could be faulty memory...

27. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (97) Mar 10, 2018 New York

Same here. It also seems no one wants to buy anything labelled Oktoberfest, once Nov. 1st rolls around.

BeerseAnyone and Troutbeerbum like this.
  28. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,454) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I prefer Stiegl radler (zitrone > grapefruit) but I also enjoy a Lienie's Summer Shandy on a hot day.

29. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Shandys (shandies?) are awesome. Radlers too; they are pretty much the same thing, right?
    But I’m a huge sucker for beer cocktails. Love me a good michelada, and I’ve been known to enjoy a carbomb or two in my time...
    Unfortunately, many commercial ones suck. Some of the best shandys I’ve had have been homebrewed. Hefe base with 30% fruit juice can be a beautiful thing on a hot summer day...

30. Lahey

Lahey Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I've heard of a banana mixede hefe done in germany, but didn't get the chance to try one while there. Sounded good for a try.

31. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (334) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Had one in Vegas by the pool in 108 degree weather. Don't care what you people say it was great stuff in that setting.

32. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (416) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin

Drank my share of Schlitz Malt Liquor in my much younger days but never thought about adding a lemon twist. I would think it would take more than a lemon twist to make the brew “better”. I generally recall faulty memory associated with SML. Hmm...?

BeerseAnyone, JackHorzempa and bbtkd like this.
  33. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,394) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I was introduced to radlers my first time in Munich. I really enjoyed them and either buy a few during the summer or make them myself with Sprite. Very refreshing after yardwork.

34. islay

islay Disciple (342) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

Who buys shandies? People who want their beer to taste like juice but aren't cool enough to stand in line for hours to buy cans.

35. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Devotee (483) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania

people who like really sweet calorie bombs that don't get you buzzed maybe?

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  36. Burt

Burt Crusader (760) Nov 27, 2005 Rhode Island

I buy shandy's. They are a guilty pleasure that was brought upon a good bartender. Typical New England summer day, 90 degrees with almost 100% humidity. Just finished playing a round of golf, we go to a favorite beer bar for lunch. Before we sit down in our seats the bartender has 4 pints of Curious Traveler Lemon Sandy poured. That was one of the best thirst quenching brews that I have ever had. That is a summer staple in my kegerator.

Now why they become shelf turds, maybe they ordered too much, distributor pushed it as a buy this to get this deal. Everything has it season, at the end you gotta move excess inventory. Whether it is Oktoberfest's, pumpkin, winter brews, shit I have seen price reductions of SN Celebration. Enjoy all beer styles, not just the latest and greatest.

BeerseAnyone and Ozzylizard like this.
  37. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,225) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Man my sister in law brought some of those over and I set them out on the curb a week later, she left them in my fridge. My wife asked why I threw them out and I told her I was scared it would ruin the other beer in the fridge. I think if they are well done then ok that is fine, I even had a radler the other day, as it had the lowest ABV on the taplist and I didn't want anything heavy. But that beer she brought tasted terrible.

BeerseAnyone and Troutbeerbum like this.
  38. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

What I never understood about shandies and radlers is:

If that's what you want to drink, why not make them yourself? Seems like you can then pick your own flavor of pop and beer/pop ratio. Gotta be cheaper, too.

Why do most US-brewed ones have "normal" ABV of 4-5%? If the point of them is to drink a low ABV beverage (a 5% beer cut with adding 50% of a soft drink), seems to me that brewery-made product are counter to that concept and, given the ABV, they are obvious NOT simply a blend of their beer and pop but an extract/flavoring addition.

Bartenders in UK pubs said the same thing about a short list of bottled beers I had which included beers like barley wines Bass No. 1 (10.5%) and Whitbread Gold Label (10.9%), and Courage Imperial Russian Stout (10%). We were drinking cask ale but I figured I'd pick up the bottles (none exported to the US regularly) for bringing back home.

#38 jesskidden, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    jvgoor3786, DonObiWan, nc41 and 3 others like this.
  39. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

I buy them and make them, great for summer, great for picnics, great for breakfast when camping, awesome for BBQ's where maybe you have to drive home and don't want to go over the limit, all around enjoyable.

eppCOS and Ozzylizard like this.
  40. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (97) Mar 10, 2018 New York

I would think that most people who really like this sort of thing, would prefer to buy good beer, and add a much or as little lemonade themselves, to their own liking. Just as people prefer to add their own preference of sugar and cream to their coffee. If so, then the pre-mixed canned stuff would only appeal for the convenience factor... parties, beach, etc. But I also suspect there are a lot of folks who never even thought of the idea until these shandies started showing up at the grocery store.

Personally, I would think that alternating a beer and then a lemonade would be better, than mixing them together.

tzieser likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.