Who or what got you into craft beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by IPAandGreenChile, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KKHop88

KKHop88 Initiate (55) May 2, 2013 Texas

Back in college there was a small bar that had a drinking challenge of you have to drink at least one beer, shot, or liqour drink every day for 30 days and you get to decorate a brick on the wall. A few of my friends decided to try it our senior year and ended up succeeding. After going to the bar for a few days I didn't want to keep drinking the same ol thing so I decided to keep asking the bartender to surprise me with a new beer every time from their small selection. I started to realize there was more out there than just shock top (which was all i mostly drank at the time.) After college I became roommates with one of the friends that did the challenge with me and she got really into beer as well. It really helped having another girl to go on beer adventures with and who loved craft beer as much as I did. It's hard to believe that was over four years ago and some silly bar challenge I started with 5 other sorority sisters would lead to such a passion for craft beer.

2. beeragent

beeragent Meyvn (1,057) Aug 16, 2005 Texas

No one. That's why it took me until 24 to find out what good beer was. Then it was an accident.

3. patre_tim

patre_tim Poo-Bah (3,153) Mar 29, 2012 Thailand
    Society

My brother got me into it. I did't have any interest in beer before, but whenever I'd visit, he'd offer a bottle of good craft beer. Sometimes I accepted, other times I declined. It actually took years for me to get used to the thought of enjoying beer. Moving half way around the world has a way of making you miss people you love. It was in China I started looking for good beer (mostly imported) and enjoying it.

4. richobrien

richobrien Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2013 California

There was a beer review in my college newspaper. The editor did it mainly on crappy beers as a gag at first. I offered to write it on micro brews and from there the journey evolved.

5. Vogt52

Vogt52 Initiate (0) May 25, 2014 Maryland

My uncle was always bringing by craft beers when I was younger. My dad still sticks to macro brews....

6. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

this guy introduced me to craft beer.

7. mrcraft

mrcraft Poo-Bah (2,057) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Society

A chance encounter... at Tom's Farms in Corona. I went to buy some snacks at their cheese and wine shop as I normally do after playing a round at Glen Ivy. One day I wandered into their tiny beer section and bought some Russian River without knowing anything about craft beers. It was an acquired taste because I recall I didn't particularly like Temptation or Pliny, but I did research what the heck I was drinking and never looked back.

8. Random_Lizzie

Random_Lizzie Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2014 Arkansas

It really started back when I turned 21 and refused to drink Bud Light and such with my friends. I had given Blue Moon, Sierra Nevada and Shock Top (the only non mainstream beers I knew of at the time) but nothing stuck out to me. I had moved onto Shiner and New Belgium Fat Tire for a few years before starting work at a local liquor store. The guy who trained me was from Massachusetts and raved about Shipyard's Pumpkin Head, so I had to try it. That was the true beginning. Since then, every payday, I would try a few new things. Beers that sounded interesting and right up my alley to some that I knew nothing of and just picked off the shelf. Cuvee des Trolls and Delirium Tremens are perfect examples of random gold I grabbed unknowingly!

9. CoverMePorkins

CoverMePorkins Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012 New Mexico

A bartender at The Vine in Iowa City around 97-98. I was walking home after class and stopped in to get wings and a beer. I was going to get the standard Coors Light and the bartender/manager gave me a free pint of Red Hook ESB to try. It was all over after that.

10. Donco

Donco Devotee (455) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

24?
    Try 62!:rolling_eyes:
    It was KBS & BCBS....guess I'm into acronyms.

LittleDon and frazbri like this.
  11. turbotype

turbotype Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 California

I experimented with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale just to try something new back in 2005. It was not for me. (at the time) A few months later, I went on a temporary assignment (was active duty Air Force at the time) with a young lieutenant in Montana. We went to this pizza place called MacKenzie River Pizza Co in Great Falls for some grub on the governments dime. He told me to try a Moose Drool on draft. I wasn't into "dark" beer or craft beer, but I said piss on it and tried it. I have been hooked on craft beer ever since. That was about 8 years ago and I regret nothing. Within a year of that day, I tried so many different craft brews and Belgians searching for "the one". Though I have never found the perfect beer for me, I have found some that are really REALLY close! Thank you Founders, Bell's, Moortgat (Duvel), Russian River, Lagunitas and thank you Todd for breaking me out of my BMC shell! :slight_smile:

thatoneguymike likes this.
  12. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

I dabbled with the usual suspects (Blue Moon, Fat Tire, SA Summer Ale), until a co-worker gave me a mixed 4 pack that included Chimay Red, Allagash Black and FBS. They all blew me away, especially the FBS (at the time). He also wrote this website on the 4 pack holder. Came here to see what else was out there. Then I saw all I was missing on the WBAYDN? forum!!! It's been a delicious journey ever since!

IPAandGreenChile likes this.
  13. raulstotle12

raulstotle12 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 California

Arrogant Bastard & Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

14. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2012 Washington

Morpheus handed me a red pill...er, I mean...a Maudite.

Since then, it's been uphill for my tastebuds and downhill for my wallet.

15. augustwest

augustwest Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2014 Georgia

A couple of my buddies in college who were a few years older than me. They handed me a SN Torpedo and things haven't been the same since then.

frazbri likes this.
  16. BiffBiffster

BiffBiffster Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2014 Virginia

I can't remember the who or what but the beer was Anchor Steam and then various Bell's in the 1980s. (Back in the days of Solsun!)

Then Sierra Nevada in the 1990s.

Then Founder's (at their brewpub) in the early 2000s. (When Founder's was at the brink of bankruptcy.)

I pretty much stopped drinking beer around 2005.

This summer I came back to beer. It's an interesting time for American beer--but you don't need me to tell you that.

17. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

There wasn't one individual that I can claim as "the person that got me into good beer". There were a few friends that weren't satisfied with light lagers, a home brewing host of a choir tour, a retired lawyer offering up better beers, and a whole lot of other people that enjoyed exploring different tastes.

18. SamN

SamN Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2009 Colorado

Living in NoCo and turning 21 in Fart Collins. You can't help it.

It's in the blood.

19. Jirin

Jirin Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

When I was first getting into beer I noticed I enjoyed the beers under the 'Craft' umbrella more than the mainstream ones.

20. doppletheGOAT

doppletheGOAT Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012 Texas

It was kind of like by accident really, which seems to be a common theme among us craft drinkers. About 3 years ago I was at a restaurant/bar watching some sporting event on TV and wanted to try something new. I was mainly a wine drinker but did drink beer on occasion. The only beers I had ever tried were Bud, Miller and Coors. I was probably going to try any imported beer they had, I asked the waitress what they had on-tap and she said said the usual Bud, miller, coors and then she said something called Boston Lager.

I didn't even know what a lager was, yet I've been drinking lager off and on for the last 10 years. So, I said to myself "what the hell" I'll try it and well.. the rest is history. That was the first time I tasted hops and caramel malts in a beer. It was mind blowing, I haven't had any BMC since then. It's funny though because I started thinking that lager must be some kind of special drink, I didn't think this was actually beer at the time. I thought the waitress must have made a mistake. LOL!

Then I started trying ales and was blown away again. I haven't had much wine over the last 3 years either.

21. IvanJ126

IvanJ126 Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2014 Texas

I was at the grocery store the wife was nagging me since I always bought Corona so I got the one right next to it It was a Karbach Rodeo Clown double IPA after the buzz I got from that I never went back to a mainstream beer and I thank my wife for everything

22. slipperysoup

slipperysoup Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2014 Illinois

My new roommates were drinking this beer they called an IPA? I was hooked ever since.

23. WillieThreebiers

WillieThreebiers Poo-Bah (6,403) Apr 26, 2012 Connecticut
    Society

My best Friend's kid and DeCicco's of Brewster..."They'll let you sample the beer before you buy it." He said, and I was in.

24. TJB04

TJB04 Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2014 Iowa

Back in the mid 90's there was a magazine out of Iowa called Brew. It came out about every other month and would feature about 4 -6 craft breweries (Micro back then). Multi page articles about each. This was the first time I'd heard of Rogue or Great Lakes. Remember, this was essentially pre net. Anyway, this led me to my first brewery tour at Blvd in KC, which was much smaller back in those days. The rest is history.

25. walterk

walterk Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2014 Mississippi

My friend George. I told him one day that I didn't like dark beer. He brought me a few beers that I tried and I've been hooked since. Now my refrigerator has nothing but dark beer. Here's to you, George!

26. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,151) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

The quest for the unknown and delicious tastes lurking out there by the thousands of unchartered beers that I discovered.

27. DerekSmigelski

DerekSmigelski Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2014 Texas

A coworker back in 1998 introduced me to homebrewing. Been brewing ever since. He moved from Austin to CO with this wife. But cheers Cary Lewis and thanks!

28. 3letters3numbers

3letters3numbers Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2012 Pennsylvania

The first place my buddies and I could get into without getting carded was the Northeast Taproom in Reading. They only had a couple beers on tap but it was stuff like SN Celebration and Corsendonk. I didn't care what it was at the time but after our weekly visits we started drinking less and less of the BMC. Connect Four and pitchers of Old Foghorn? Those were good times.

29. LittleDon

LittleDon Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2009 Texas

It was a self inflicted wound that started small 35 years ago and kept on getting deeper.

30. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (119) May 28, 2008 Florida

One of my nieces, whose had a marriage ceremony performed in the beer garden of the now long departed Bandersnatch Pub in Tempe, AZ.

The day before the wedding she and some friends were in the pub when I came in. She gives me a hug, then hands me a pint of a dark, big headed brew. "What's this something like Guinness?" I asked. "Oh no it's not that-trust me," she said. It turned out to be their Milk Stout, which was AMAZING-I've been a fan of the style ever since.

2 or 3 pints of their other styles, and I was hooked!

31. Bgonzo

Bgonzo Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2014 Kansas

Started working at a local liquor super store with an extensive craft beer selection and began trying different breweries and was hooked!

32. halo3one

halo3one Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

33. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 Georgia

Damn right @halo3one , inpossible to turn back now. Enjoy the ride.

34. nicholas2121

nicholas2121 Poo-Bah (2,150) Sep 29, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Just something different from the AB and Miller Brews.

35. vfgccp

vfgccp Poo-Bah (3,596) Oct 28, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

An amazing beer/wine store opened near my apt right at the start of the craft beer movement. They had weekly tastings, often with the brewers, and I was able to really develop an appreciation for the different styles and really get into the specifics of the beers.

36. mig100

mig100 Meyvn (1,266) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Unibroue. That is all.

37. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2011 Illinois

A Founder's Red's Rye P.A. at The Irish Rose here in Rockford, IL. I had really given up on beer for about twenty years, but ordered Red's Rye on a whim. It blew my mind. Had to try more...

38. HeartofMiami

HeartofMiami Champion (801) Sep 20, 2014 Florida
    Trader

When $1 drafts of "the beast" were the norm in college, I discovered Saranac and was amazed at the different styles and flavors...over 20 years ago

39. powpig2002

powpig2002 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2012 Florida

Robert Parker's Spencer books

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.