Dismiss Notice
We're bringing our Belgian Beer Fest back to Boston June 22nd & 23rd!

Learn More

Who remembers and adored Heavyweight Perkuno's Hammer Baltic Porter???

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by WVbeergeek, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WVbeergeek

WVbeergeek Poo-Bah (4,758) Sep 24, 2002 West Virginia

Well it's back for a limited time, If I was close enough I'd be on it!!! Earth, Bread, and Brewery Tom Baker's business outside of Philly has been making one offs for a good while now. He has never attempted to brew another Perkuno's since Heavyweight closed in New Jersey. The Victory beer Baltic Thunder was a collaboration with Tom Baker and Lew Bryson and Victory to make another Baltic Porter for those of us still salivating for some more Perkuno's!!!

For those of you close enough, who've had it or never had the chance it's on at their brewery...Perkuno's Hamer II 7.8% the only tweak in recipe formulation were the switch from Roman beans to pinto beans. So this is pretty close to the same beer, check out Lew Bryson's Facebook site for more buzz on this beer and pics of him and Tom enjoying some glasses of this black beauty!!!

It's a one time for right now, but hopefully people picket or something until it comes back as a rotating offering!!!

4/16/03 My thoughts back then, this was a favorite that was kept on tap at one of my favorite locals in the Burgh!!!

Very easy to see why this beer ranks in the top fifty, because it's amazing!!! Black, pretty safe to rule it as opaque pours with a nice frothing tan head and forms a trickled lace as the beer empites down my gullet.

Aroma greets me with roasted slightly burnt malt and a chocolate smoothness that brings about an underlying sweetness.

The first sip sends a crescendo of sweet raisiny goodness wrapped in chocolate complemented by the great classic dark roasts of any great porter.

The mouthfeel is just full creamy texture that can only be described as one of the smoothest beers ever.

Drinkabilty can be said in one word: DANGEROUS!!! 8.0% abv and you can drink this stuff all day cuz it's so smooth and delicious, hides the taste of alcohol very well. I tip my hat to the brewers for crafting this fine delight.
    #1 WVbeergeek, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    jmdrpi and markgugs like this.
  2. RblWthACoz

RblWthACoz Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

Beans in beer. Can't beat it.

And yep, I remember it and how crazy everyone went for it.
  3. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I fucking loved this beer! During my first obsessive trading phase (2006-2008), I managed to land about 6 bottles of the already-discontinued beer, which I cherished over 2008-09. What an amazing brew!
  4. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (205) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

FYI, Earth Bread is in Philly, Mount Airy.
  5. Jaysus

Jaysus Initiate (154) Jan 16, 2003 Pennsylvania

6. Slatetank

Slatetank Poo-Bah (4,868) Oct 9, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

It was on of the first besides Sinebrychoff that I tried of the Baltic Porter style and loved it...good to see it will return.
  7. callmemickey

callmemickey Meyvn (1,237) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I'll be down at Earth tonight... good to see this being done.
  8. jasonm

jasonm Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2006 Pennsylvania

This makes me pine for not just the Hammer, but for the Heavyweight variety case we got here in PA with Perkuno's Hammer, Lunacy, and Stickenjab.
    dennis3951 and callmemickey like this.
  9. callmemickey

callmemickey Meyvn (1,237) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

For those that haven't made it in yet, I definitely recommend a visit. It's been a long time since I've had the original, but this is tasting just as good (according to my hazy recollection). Definitely worth a visit into Earth.
  10. phnphilly

phnphilly Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2005 Pennsylvania

Gold Medal at GABF! I can only hope that leads to some more appearances of the hammer in the future.
    guzzle211, Jaysus and Slatetank like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.