Who thinks "fruit smoothies" needs their own style category?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by bubseymour, Jan 8, 2020.

1. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,577) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

Sorry if the title isn't best choice of wording but most of you know what I'm implying.

Just looking at how these types of beers seem to be getting classified somewhat erratic and haphazardly into the American Wild Ale, Fruit and Field Beer, Leipzig Gose and Berlinner Weisse with somewhat inconsistency, it just seems like we did with the NEIPA style, needs to be done with this style. J.R.E.A.M series by Burley Oak just for 1 of many samples for point of reference.

2. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Savant (984) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

I think the recent 450 North chatter suggests this is a better question for Juice Advocate!

In all seriousness, I’d be fine with it. There are a few others I’d like to see added too. Grodziske!! Keptinis!!

3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,990) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Shouldn't they just fall under the low ABV category?

SicDub, JohnnyHopps and RobNewton like this.
  4. FBarber

Society Trader

Need a Czech dark lager category as well.

5. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (1,871) Jun 18, 2010 New York

I think if there are consistencies of these beers that a style unto its own can be made, I'd be for such a classification. I think the challenge is that people might be inclined to put *all* fruited ales into the new category.

AlcahueteJ, beertunes and FBarber like this.
  6. Coronaeus

Trader

Grosziske, Keptinis, Czech Dark Lager.. all styles I had from local breweries in 2019 and all either rotating products, or regular/flagship products.

I suppose I’d argue that adding these missing traditional styles (among others) is more important than new-fangled beers on the market.

I think the concern mentioned above, with respect to new-ish styles like smoothie beers being misplaced is real and could make things messy. So, perhaps larger all-encompassing categories for these things make sense until they have become better established as legitimate styles.

7. Damian

Damian Poo-Bah (2,825) Jun 1, 2006 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Totally agree with you. There’s a difference between “beer with fruit” and “fruit with beer,” and many breweries today seem to be making a lot of the latter. Not a bad thing by any means, but this type of beer needs to be called what it is.

#7 Damian, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  8. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (51) May 15, 2018 Virginia

I'd like to see any kettle sour that has fruit/flavoring and lactose added be in a category of it's own, not thrown in with gose or berliners.

9. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (39) Dec 5, 2019

There already exists a category. Non-Beer

10. beerwego

I never had one. Any available in the USA?

11. Coronaeus

Trader

The one I had is from a Toronto brewery and is in regular rotation. Very good too in my opinion. Of course being a lager, it suffers lower rating in the few here and on Untappd.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/49615/401544/

Paranthetically, the brewer is the original brewer at Dieu du Ciel! and his current brewery specializes in part in traditional European styles. He does a great Dortmunder and an Ungespudentes Kellerbier among other things.

12. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,334) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Grisette!! Kentucky Common!!

13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,318) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

A small, local brewery, Imprint Brewing, recently produced their first lager and they chose to make a Czech Dark Lager. They branded this beer Tmavé (which means dark in Czech).

This beer is quite good and a respectable effort by Imprint for their first lager they brewed.

Cheers!

14. FBarber

Society Trader

Not sure where you're located, so hard to say what your distribution will look like, but here are some you might be able to find:
    • Bernard cerne (this is excellent)
    • Praga dark lager
    • Budweiser (Budvar) dark (this is excellent)
    • Primator Dark
    Locally in Chicago, we've got about 4 examples that range from excellent to solid, but they're only available locally.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  15. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,030) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I think it could benefit from having its own style. For example, I just drank a "Berliner Weisse" from Other Half that is 7.4%, and brewed with "Boysenberries, Toasted Coconut, Vanilla, Maple Syrup, Cinnamon, Almonds and Milk Sugar".

Lol.

I liked it, but yeah.

16. beerwego

Thanks. I'm in NY. I bet I can find the Budvar one with some effort - the others I image searched and definitely have not seen them in my travels.

17. beerwego

Nope, none of those are in NY according to Beermenus. Damn

18. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (211) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Style itself should probably just be eliminated all together.
    I kid...kind of.

AlcahueteJ and maximum12 like this.
  19. FBarber

Society Trader

I find that hard to believe ... where in NY are you?

20. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,567) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Trader

Much like with NEIPAs, yes there should be a style category for these. They don't fit any existing category, same as NEIPAs didn't fit the existing IPA categories.

johnInLA and JediMasterLenin like this.
  21. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (135) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Link please :wink:

FBarber likes this.
  22. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (535) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Since there are breweries who make smoothie beers and who also don't seem to care that they are sending out explosive cans to market. Yes. Keep these amateur hour abominations separate.

JediMasterLenin and FBarber like this.
  23. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (901) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

There is an underused fruit beer category on this website, but good luck getting users to use it and defy a brewer who names the beer an IPA or berlinerweisse or whatever.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/9/

24. beerwego

Border of Long Island and Queens

25. FBarber

Society Trader

At least Bernard cerne makes it to the City because this place has it on tap: http://www.bohemianspiritrestaurant.com

Any tips @zid or @TongoRad for finding these Czech dark lagers (imports) in (or near) the city?

AlcahueteJ, beerwego and TongoRad like this.
  26. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,669) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I can't vouch for current stock, but I've gotten both Bernard and Czechvar Dark at Linwood Wines in Fort Lee, NJ (original location, for anyone following along). Unfortunately that's not very practical for @beerwego to get to, but that's the best I can do.

The other two I've never even seen in the area, and beermenus isn't listing anyplace either. Not being distributed to either NY or NJ does seem kind of odd to me, though.

AlcahueteJ, beerwego and FBarber like this.
  27. zid

zid Meyvn (1,381) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I am familiar with @beerwego 's area. Finding a bottled dark Czech beer is very hard... and finding a fresh bottle makes things even harder. I think the Fairway supermarket in Nassau has (or used to have... I haven't been in quite a while) Brou Czech Dark... and beerwego will be happy to know that that store is right by the Total Wine. :slight_smile: I can't speak about the age of the bottles though. Side note - that Fairway annoyingly kept their beer in three different sections of the store, and they aren't near each other. The Czech bottles were always in the regular beer aisle as opposed to the various refrigerated sections.

28. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (3,253) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

We have too damn many overlapping and confusing styles already. Fewer styles FTW.

beergoot likes this.
  29. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,137) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

This was my first thought as well. Wouldn't these be very clearly a fruit beer?

30. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (947) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I believe that Fruit Smoothies Pastry Stouts ECT should be considered as a new style, "beers for children"!

beergoot, jmdrpi, bubseymour and 2 others like this.
  31. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,419) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

We desperately need a Kettle Sour style here on BA, there actually have been numerous threads on this over the last year and this is something that should get addressed with the next style update. When that is finally going to arrive is anyone's guess though, unfortunately.

Sabtos, AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  32. bubseymour

Trader

But aren't Gose and Berliner's technically kettle sours? The fruit smoothie sours are already getting pegged into Gose or Berliner (or wild ale or fruit and field beer). At least NEIPAs were initially put into APA, IPA or DIPA categories based on alcohol level but the fruit smoothie is being placed too many existing styles.

33. bubseymour

Trader

Not sure why lambic and fruit lambic need to be seperated style classifications.

unlikelyspiderperson and bbtkd like this.
  34. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,142) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Wow, is that even a beer?

Honestly it sounds good, but not if I want a beer.

35. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,568) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Or if all you want is a Berliner Weisse.

AlcahueteJ and FBarber like this.
  36. traction

traction Devotee (470) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society

I've seen some people calling those type of offering from Other Half as "pastry sours". Some of them have a lot of pie crust character. Hell, they did a collab with Mortalis that used over 100 entire grape pies in the brewing process.

Sabtos and AlcahueteJ like this.
  37. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,419) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

This also gets brought up every time in these threads. Yes, they are technically kettle sours, but they are also very specific, traditional styles.

Most people seem to be entering kettle sours as American Wild Ales from what I can tell, and I would ask everyone to do so for consistency reasons and to make them easier to identify and reclassify once a Fruited Sour style is introduced.

38. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (901) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yeah, if a restaurant dessert menu had that description for a pastry, pie, or tart I would order it in a heartbeat and probably love it. That description for a beer, hell no.

The more I hear about Other Half the more I don't like them. From these ridiculous dessert concoctions to the 306 different beers they brewed in 2019, it's like the poster child for what's wrong in craft beer.
    [​IMG]

39. traction

traction Devotee (470) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society

They are also a money printing machine and are just providing a certain market with a product they want. I've had some great Other Half beers and some terrible ones. If you are ever in Brooklyn or Rochester though I believe they are worth checking out once although it isn't the type of stuff I would trade for or pay obnoxious grey-market prices for. When you make that many different beers they aren't all going to be winners but I've had stuff I would consider world class from OH. They did one last year called Cobbler Jams I would argue is world class although some of there stuff is just a mess imo

40. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,142) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Do they like, use hops, malt and yeast in their beers?

Or do they just throw random food in a brew kettle and hope something ferments?