Who's Brewing 5/16-18

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Devotee (441) Apr 16, 2012 Wisconsin

Not brewing, but I did rack what I'm calling an Imperial American Pale Wheat (OG 1.079, rack gravity 1.017). I added blood orange rind. Tasting green for sure; needs a healthy conditioning to mellow.

Lukass and inchrisin like this.
  2. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Poo-Bah (2,671) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Society

Well I've been hidin' out for a week at my bro's and got all three fermentation freezer slots going! Two stouts* (APA stout and a nice stout recipe I got from bbrown12) plus my first lager!

*had to wing it a little on the hops on the stouts, but the hops do not make a stout anyway, so...

#42 AlCaponeJunior, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  3. homebrew311

homebrew311 Poo-Bah (2,514) May 19, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

Just got hop mail from yakima valley and did a hopbursted/hopstand single hop Pacific Jade ipa. Couldn't find a whole lot written about this hop when used for aromatics, but apparently it gives off blackberry and black pepper notes. The bag smelled delicious, can't wait to see how it turns out.

AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  4. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Well.. Finally got off my ass and decided to brew. I had the water prepped and sitting around, and I figured I'll be at our other place in NC for the memorial day weekend, so it'll be another 2 weekends before I get around to brewing anything.

Decided to do a saison with some ECY14, single strain.

Pils/2 row blend
    white wheat
    flaked corn
    GNO
    acid malt

hopped with amarillo and mosaic and fermented with the ECY14.

Hopefully it's tasty, not a huge saison fan, or a big brewer of them, but hope it comes out good. Contemplating adding some brett to it, but probably won't.

5. fastenoughforphish

fastenoughforphish Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 Illinois

Did my first IPA

2.5 Gallon Batch had

4.5 lbs 2-Row
    .5 lbs Munich
    .5 lbs Malted Wheat
    4 oz Crystal 10
    2 oz Crystal 40

Centennial at 60
    Cascade and Centennial at 15
    Willamette at 5
    Cascade and Wilamette whirlpool

for 70 IBU's total

inchrisin likes this.
  6. jmich24

jmich24 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

BB Wee Heavy (hoping for Backwoods Bastard ish)
    Big thanks @VikeMan his assistance using his Brewing Spreadsheets.

Boiling two gallons down to syrup in the house while boiling the rest of the wort outside.
    Beautiful spring day here in MI, 70 and sunny

90 Min Mash, 90 Min Boil
    1090 OG + 8 ounces of Elijah Craig Bourbon soaked on about 6 Oak Chips.
    WLP090 yeast cake with plenty of O2.
    The bourbon and the small amount of oak will get kegged for winter consuption after a month in primary.

I have a nice pipeline built up for summer consumption so today was perfect to brew an aged ale.

On deck and on tap:
    RedRyePA- Amarillo and Simcoe
    Galaxy IPA
    American Wheat: Amarillo and Citra
    Brett ESB: Under attenuated ESB spiked with Brett L
    RR Concecration Clone: Roeselare and RR Oak
    Tart Cherry Dubbel: Belgian dubbel racked on a funky tart cherry yeast cake

DubbelMan likes this.
  7. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Defender (603) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Finishing the boil on a 'red alesner' right now. Wanted to make a pils/Munich lager with lots of Sterling hops but my lager starter did not start so the brewday went ahead with my Sierra Nevada ale culture, which will be fermented in our 56F basement. Also kegging a 'Vermont IPA' - though the only thing from VT it contains is homegrown Cascade and Centennial.

8. Theortiz01

Theortiz01 Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2013 Texas

Got alot done today, but not if you ask my wife. :wink: Racked an IPA for dry-hopping, washed some yeast for a stout next week, packed up a beer box for trade, and drank a few homebrews!

inchrisin and FATC1TY like this.
  9. FATC1TY

Hah! Similar here. Wife comes home, and the twins are in diapers only and fussy in the floor with the dogs.

However, I did manage to not only brew my saison, but cleaned 2 kegs, kegged 2 beers, cleaned 2 fermenters, clean out the bottom on the fermentation freezer, cold crashed the Kolsch and BCBS clones. Cleaned all the gear, put it all away, cleaned off the back patio, and replaced the gasket in my BGE.

inchrisin and Theortiz01 like this.
  10. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Went to rack the Vienna Lager over to the keg, hook up the CO2, start to move the beer out, getu just over a pint in the keg, then no more CO2. Had to toss the pint I racked (no CO2 to purge keg and keep it). Put the airlock back on until tomorrow. Really need to find a gas supplier open on weekends. Brett Trois IPA is carbed up and drinking nicely. Needs to clear a little more.

11. Philthe

Philthe Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2013 Pennsylvania

Brewed my first batch of beer yesterday. Super excited. All went well. Hopefully I can keep the fermentation under control and it should be great. As of this posting the airlock is bubbling nicely.

inchrisin, Boozecamel and jivex5k like this.
  12. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

Brewing partner couldn't brew this weekend, so I did my first solo attempt of an 11 gallon batch (have done lots of 5 gal batches by myself, but never a big batch without a partner).

Went surprisingly smooth...11 gallons of koelsch in about 5 1/2 hours from setup through cleanup. Also cleaned 3 kegs while brewing. Pretty good brew day.

#52 carteravebrew, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
    inchrisin likes this.
  13. JdoubleA

JdoubleA Aspirant (261) Apr 27, 2011 North Carolina

-Well, bottling went ok... Forgot to add lactic to the second half of the gose. Oh well. The secondary with the mystery ingredients scared me a little. Tiny white dots appeared on the surface that looked like mold colonies. I kept looking at similar pictures and folks were saying it was just tiny co2 bubbles creating tiny islands, and turns out they were right. As of yesterday they were all gone and replaced by small, but larger bubbles all over the surface. Great Success!

-Berliner soured until sunday... was sour, but kinda had a green olive thing I've heard of before. Maybe slightly bile. Anyways, boiled it and during the boil it smelled like grapefruits, which was positive! But, when I was drinking the cooled wort out of my hydrometer tube thing, it was really really bitter, and slightly bile-ish. Hopefully the yeast will do something to that. Fermentation just kicked in last night...

Mantooth likes this.
  14. FATC1TY

So you brewed a non sour gose? Wouldn't that just be a wheat beer with coriander and salt?

15. JdoubleA

-I did a recipe from BYO that called for 2 pounds of acid malt after the sacc rest, so it should end up with a slight twang according to them.

Mantooth likes this.
  16. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

For my anniversary last week I re-brewed one of the beers I served at my wedding. Had the first taste yesterday from the gravity sample. Very sweet as anticipated to counter the tartness the 5lb of raspberries and hibiscus flowers will lend.

In hindsight, I should have had it ready for my anniversary instead of brewing it the day after, but that's a conversation for a different thread.

17. marc77

marc77 Poo-Bah (2,044) May 25, 2001 California
    Society

Brewed an (almost) all Vienna malt brew with a touch of midnight wheat for color. All Calypso hops. At ~14 SRM, and a BU:GU ratio of 0.65ish, and using Wyeast 1056, I suppose it's an amber ale. 1.064 OG. I had people where I work vote on the hops, base malt, color and BU:GU. For color and BU:GU I took the mean of their values and this was it. It should be beer.

18. FATC1TY

Well, report back and let us know if it has any sourness to it. I've always been under the impression that just using acid malt, or adding pure lactic acid would lead to a pretty one dimensional sour note. Curious to hear some feedback, and report on what percentage of your grist it was.

19. AlCaponeJunior

Society

I love this recipe and hops schedule!

fastenoughforphish likes this.
  20. MarriedAtGI

MarriedAtGI Initiate (119) Feb 26, 2013 Illinois

Oktoberfest split between 2206 and 2124 yeasts. This is my first lager ever, and I'm doing a Hochkurz double decoction. Doughed in at maltose rest temp, and just took my first decoction to dextrinization rest temp!

I will also be kegging an English IPA brewed three weeks ago.

21. JdoubleA

5# wheat malt
    3.25# pilsener

2# acid malt after sacc rest

So, 18.6%

I popped the first one Saturday and it was a decent beer, but no real sourness. If anything it might give a sensation similar to putting your tongue on a 9V battery. Like I said before, I just went straight from a BYO recipe. https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/2349-gose

I did forget to add additional lactic acid at bottling which would have given more of a twang. Good stuff learned through this though, basically the amount of salt and its effect, I would recommend 1 oz rather than .75, and a general idea of what coriander tastes like, in this case it was nice and citrusy. The beer itself is alright, but I do wish it was more sour... which is something the second half of it has no problem with... super excited about it based on the uncarbed beer I tasted yesterday after bottling.

Mantooth likes this.
  22. riTLce

riTLce Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2011 California

I know it was very long ago, but just wondering how much juniper you used and how it came out? I am making a recipe for a Juniper Pale Ale as well, and never used juniper berries before. Thinking of throwing an oz in the last 20min and then another oz in primary, and using some nice earthy hops like German Merkur & maybe some more piney hops like Palisade.

23. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Do you have a time machine to go back to May ;-)

24. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (2,083) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Here's the recipe
    https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/tanker-a
    It was a variation on a version that @AlCaponeJunior and I did. I preferred this version, the juniper and other spices meshed really well with the hops, and the malt was just sweet enough to give them a nice canvas to work on.

riTLce likes this.
  25. MrOH

Society

Also, the quality of the juniper berries makes a big difference.

26. riTLce

riTLce Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2011 California

Awesome, thanks for that!

27. AlCaponeJunior

Society

that was a good one. I'm gonna make it again. I've been kinda out of it the past few months but the brewing is fixing to et back on track big time. Here's my version of it

alcaponejunior.wordpress.com juniper ale project with MrOH

MrOH likes this.
  28. MrOH

Society

I just picked up some juniper berries the other day...

29. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,965) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I was just thinking that you've been away for a while. Must have be preceded by a thought on smash brews.

30. AlCaponeJunior

Society

yeah I'm about to move my brewing operation to a closer spot and delve into it with a buddy who wants to get into it. Should result in multiple brews per month with full freezers at all times. :grinning:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.