Who's brewing the best IPAs right now?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nolinenowait, Jun 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuzzG

BuzzG Initiate (97) Dec 6, 2013 Iowa

I'm a homer so I have to say Toppling Goliath but the truth is that I've had a couple from 515 in Des Moines and Pulpit Rock in Decorah that we're unbelievable.

BottleCaps80 and chipawayboy like this.
  2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,574) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Hop on Top from LBC in Raleigh is a new one for me, it's damn good. Same with Burial Scythe, but I long for the days when I was trading Hop Drop and Roll can for can with Heady, now I couldn't give the stuff away. Like Pernicious and Jade, but don't love them , don't care for WW Freak at all.

3. ebin6

ebin6 Disciple (334) Jun 11, 2009 California

Careful, don't mention Fieldwork too much or it may not be so easy to get! Those guys are killing it. I'm the same way with my local favorite (Beachwood); I don't feel the need to trade or wait in 3 hour lines when there are perfectly good IPAs being made sans hype

LuskusDelph and jakecattleco like this.
  4. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer Aspirant (227) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Pipeworks - Fish Series, Lizard King, NvU
    Bissell Brothers - Rye Ale - love that stuff
    Foundation Epithany - delicious
    Hoof Hearted - EWS Vic's Secret - right up there with best I've had

dee4maine likes this.
  5. Hoolie5

Hoolie5 Initiate (129) Mar 23, 2011 Wisconsin

Toppling Goliath

6. ThomasJ25

ThomasJ25 Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2014 Pennsylvania

Tree House Green, Bissell Brothers Swish, and Tired Hands (multiple versions). I have yet to find something that can beat these. I actually think I put Swish ahead of Green. Will have to wait till the fall again to compare them again.

Sanacja2635 and dee4maine like this.
  7. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Zealot (539) Feb 4, 2004 Virginia

I'd add Ocelot into the mix with Aslin...

BikeChef likes this.
  8. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (890) Jan 29, 2012 England
    Trader

People all over the place.

Xenoreactive and unhyped like this.
  9. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (192) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Night Shift Santilli got a bronze for the out of the 270 (or so) entries for IPA from the WBC. Great North Ale works took a sliver, Manchester NH. So there's that.

10. turbotype

turbotype Disciple (300) Nov 5, 2013 California

Good beer is everywhere, this coast or that coast, it doesn't matter. Whatever brewery makes the IPA that tingles YOUR taste buds the right way, well lets just say THAT brewery is making the best IPA right now. Everyone has different tastes...

11. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Disciple (396) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Hill Farmstead, Treehouse, Alchemist, Trillium, Lawson's, Foley Brothers, Fiddlehead and Singlecut. For all you people tired of seeing New England beers, this is really the list of stuff I mostly drink.

Sanacja2635, cavedave and lovindahops like this.
  12. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

ASLIN!!! They will be top notch and saught after more than Trillium and Treehouse

Xenoreactive likes this.
  13. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Initiate (170) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

There's a level of quality control and a focus on freshness that the best NE breweries care so much about, that they simply don't enter these types of competitions. It's not like Tree House, Bissell Bros, Trillium, Hill Farmstead, etc. are entering these judged competitions and not winning.

Exactly. Beers that for the most part aren't even considered to be nearly the best in the region by locals, are winning medals, so what does that say about the beers that aren't entered? Though, that's the nature of these competitions. It's not really the "best in the world" but really just the "best in the world who entered"

cavedave likes this.
  14. GotWad629

GotWad629 Initiate (188) Sep 14, 2010 New York

Singlecut makes some of the best IPA's/Double IPA's in NYS and they are readily available in my area. Only issue is they stick with that 16.9 ounce bottle format. Really wishing they would go the six-pack or 4 pack route.

phillyhops likes this.
  15. dantheman1386

dantheman1386 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2015 Virginia

Locally: Aslin, The Veil, and The Answer. Up-and-comers that I consider right up there with Tree House and Trillium (my two favorites nationally). Side note: really surprised I haven't seen much mention of Maine... Dinner is one of the best IPAs I've ever had.

16. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (120) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

For me right now there is nothing that tastes better than Treehouse, specifically Haze, Very Hazy and Julius.

Their other rotational offerings (Sap, Alter, Bright) are good but the three above are just in their own stratosphere.

The Very Hazy from last weeks release was maybe the best single beer I've ever had. It was my first time having VH and, like Elaine with the bisque, I had to sit down.

I have loved (and do love) Trillium, HF, Alchemist, etc. but TH has surpassed them all, imo

17. SveNss0N

SveNss0N Disciple (355) Feb 16, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Trillium and Tree House as well as Lawson's are in a category of their own. Slightly behind is Alchemist and Bissell Brothers who also have some good ones under their belt. Oh and Fiddlehead and Maine Beer Co too.

Russian River is also pretty good as well as Tired Hands and Hoof Hearted but in contrast to the original ones I listed, they're just not nearly as good

18. Hwk-I-St8

Hwk-I-St8 Initiate (89) Jan 22, 2016 Iowa

I've got access to an east coast pipeline and I've had the heavy hitters from out west. I've had the majority of the top rated IPA's, but, quite frankly, I think Scorpious Morchella and Loopy Lynn are as good as anything I've had.

19. shand

shand Meyvn (1,453) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Trader

I haven't tried them all and won't claim to, but Head Hunter and Hop Juju stand up to all the overhyped "New England hops" I've had that are so popular right now.

invertalon and SlothB77 like this.
  20. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Devotee (470) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

Haha agreed. Until these beers make it to the west coast I think they need to calm down a bit until the vote is really settled. haha

21. EveningCordial

EveningCordial Disciple (300) Apr 29, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

I'm also on the Trillium and Tree House bandwagon. It's pretty easy to be on actually.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  22. RVAbrewer752

RVAbrewer752 Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2016 Virginia

I live in Richmond, VA and breweries are popping up everywhere. My go-tos are Heavy Seas Loose Cannon from Baltimore. They do an alternate seasonal with blood orange, mango and grapefruit that stayed on the shelves in Richmond for about 2 weeks that is tasty. Local favorite is Triple Crossing Brewery's Falcon Smash. It's soooo good. Another local favorite is Center of the Universe brewery (COTU) Pocahoptas. That's getting ready to be distributed to Northern Virginia and Maryland.

23. EveningCordial

EveningCordial Disciple (300) Apr 29, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

With all due respect, stop staring!!

24. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (626) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

The best IPAs are those you can get fresh and local. Almost always. So in that regard, for me it's:
    • Toppling Goliath
    • 515 Brewing
    • Alluvial Brewing
    • Pulpit Rock

25. BrewUrbanist

BrewUrbanist Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Wisconsin

Based on what I have regular/semi regular access to lately:

-Pipeworks
    -Half Acre
    -Toppling Goliath
    -Cellarmaker in SF

26. CorporalKarel

CorporalKarel Initiate (50) Feb 8, 2014 Nebraska

Overall favorites:
    Tree House
    Hill Farmstead
    Three Floyd's
    Trillium
    Lawson's

Locally available (Nebraska):
    Zipline
    Lagunitas
    Stone
    Surly
    Firestone Walker

Sanacja2635 and Ricelikesbeer like this.
  27. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (412) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

Whatever is really fresh.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  28. lethalchristy

lethalchristy Initiate (40) May 19, 2016 Florida

IDK what the fuck you guys are all arguing about...
    CLEARLY Shock Top Wheat IPA is top of the charts.

(JK)

Don't hurt me. But for real, Civil Society has been my go to (helps they are 2 miles away). Also, Funky Buddha's Hop Stimulator (9.5% starts to kick in fast though!). Mango Even Keel is my go-to session right now. Jai Alai is always a winner. Pliny is awesome, obvi. Never tried Treehouse/Trillium but the HYPE IS REAL YO...

Stop arguing and just drink your beers. :slight_smile:

#228 lethalchristy, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    PickleJuice and ChittyChambers like this.
  29. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (120) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Not a lot of arguing here bud, but thanks for the input

30. MilaMila

MilaMila Aspirant (209) Dec 11, 2015 Massachusetts

Bias my opinion may be, but here's my list in order
    1. Tree House
    2. Hill Farmstead
    3. Trillium
    4. Stone
    5. Other Half

31. samuraichamploo

samuraichamploo Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2013 New York

I don't know much. I enjoy many of the beers mentioned in this thread and have had the pleasure of enjoying them on multiple occasions. Last week a friend sent me two cans of Fresh by Civil Society and that's my new jam. Always finding out about new beer.

32. jon432

jon432 Initiate (61) Mar 30, 2014 Maryland

For me, I have been drinking mostly local IPAs lately. Union, Manor Hill and RAR have been consistently knocking it out of the park in MD!

ChittyChambers likes this.
  33. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Aspirant (239) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

34. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,073) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Fat Heads

Kadonny likes this.
  35. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,737) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

1. Trillium
    2. Tree House
    3. HF
    4. Tired Hands
    5. Brew Gentleman

36. miketd

miketd Zealot (541) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio
    Trader

I don't know, as I have not had them all, but Fat Head's is up there.

PatrickCT likes this.
  37. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Devotee (487) Nov 5, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

IPAs - Tired Hands and Cigar City but DDH Melcher from Trillium may be my fave.

Imperial IPAs - on average Hill Farmstead but my faves are Dreadnaught, The Younger and Double Sunshine. honorable mention to Trillium, Tree House and SingleCut even though i've only tried a few of each.

38. Hwk-I-St8

Sorry, that doesn't fly for me. As a post a few above yours points out, there is no "best". This is all subjective and everyone has their own tastes. What you claim as "fact" is actually your opinion. You don't get to declare your opinion as fact no matter how hard you try.

I think Tree House and Trillium are making fantastic beers. I have had a number of others that are just as good IMO. One that I like better than anything I've had from either one.

39. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (318) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

My favorite IPA creators (obviously limited to what I've had the pleasure of drinking):

Tree House
    Trillium
    Night Shift
    Sixpoint
    Fiddlehead
    Other Half
    Ballast Point
    Stone
    Castle Island
    Alchemist
    Lawson's

40. Hwk-I-St8

My favorite IPA out of Decorah isn't from TG....it's Loopy Lynn from Pulpit Rock. That stuff is unbelievable. The Saftig is really good as well. Neither will get any love around here because they're tap only with extremely limited distro (Decorah, Cedar Rapids and ?....not much else). I drove to Decorah last Friday and I was most excited to hit PR. I did pick up some mosaic hoped Golden Nugget while I was there though (much better than regular GN).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.