Who's brewing the best IPAs right now?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nolinenowait, Jun 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpdrinker

xpdrinker Initiate (171) Jan 22, 2010 Florida

C'mon, you don't like beer that hasn't been pulled off the yeast yet? Those guys are innovators...

2. jtirpak22

jtirpak22 Aspirant (210) Aug 27, 2015 Washington
    Trader

My non-homer pick: Cloudburst out of Seattle. Unfortunately they rarely make the same beer twice but they're all fantastic.

Homer pick: Reuben's Brews. Crikey, Blimey, Summer IPA, Triumvirate, Black Imperial, Rye IPA are all awesome. Blimey and Crikey are the real standouts though.

3. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (533) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

I'm going to stay local - from Jersey - Kane's Head High and Overhead are excellent. From Magnify any of their Whoa Series is superb, Vine Shine is tasty and Contractual Obligation is just awesome - their best IMO. Cartons entire 077 line as well as Forgotten Boardwalk's brews and I almost forgot Conclave, small brewery but tasty beers. If you cross into NY Grimm is killing it along with tasty brews from Rushing Duck, Other Half and Singlecut.

m_chandlr and Condado like this.
  4. vicbrews

vicbrews Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2015 Illinois

This isn't what's happening. The combination of yeast strain (typically 1318) plus dryhopping with high oil content hops is creating beer that will not crash clear and does not fine. For as many people who think it's a gimmick, there are those of us who have brewed and seen it first hand. I don't even think it's fully yeast in suspension. I think its a hop oil emulsion. Full Disclosure: I do not like haze.

5. vicbrews

vicbrews Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2015 Illinois

Also: Oats.

6. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,315) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Stone, Carton, FFF

7. CapCollector16

CapCollector16 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Ohio

The Brew Gentlemen in Pittsburgh....incredible IPAs

jimmypa likes this.
  8. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (355) May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

The best that I have had is from Trillium followed by Toppling Goliath and then Surly.

9. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Defender (627) Jan 16, 2013 New York

Know how I know you don't know what you're talking about?

LuskusDelph likes this.
  10. bkbeerdude15

bkbeerdude15 Initiate (70) Dec 22, 2015 New York

Rushing Duck makes some great IPAs. Three's makes some pretty good ones too, and Troeg's has some solid offerings as well. Going to exclude the majority of the ones people have mentioned a billion times over on this thread.

cavedave likes this.
  11. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Defender (627) Jan 16, 2013 New York

Maybe I went into it with too much hype, but I wasn't all that impressed. Definitely solid beers and glad I tried it while in Seattle, but nothing I would go out of my way for.

12. bkbeerdude15

bkbeerdude15 Initiate (70) Dec 22, 2015 New York

Forgot to give a shout out to Grey Sail - Captain's Daughter is a mighty fine beer!

Sweatshirt and TongoRad like this.
  13. mikevanatta

mikevanatta Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Minnesota

Your wish is my command. Message me if you ever want a trade for some Midwestern stuff.

14. kegahead

kegahead Initiate (117) Apr 9, 2008 New York

Was in Chicago last month and brought back fresh cans of Todd the Axe Man and Furious and based on expectations, was totally let down. Way too malty for my liking.

15. kegahead

kegahead Initiate (117) Apr 9, 2008 New York

... when fresh, it's top notch. Found a 3-month old can in the back of the fridge and the hops were barely noticeable; when it falls off, it really falls off.

16. RogelioRodriguez

RogelioRodriguez Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2015 California

Everbody is making great IPA's...The only thing that makes them vary in greatness if your personal preferences.

Certain hops are loved and hated by folks. For instance some love Cascade, some hate them.

The bottom line is the best IPA is the freshest one you can get. Asking us is not going to help you. In your area, go find em and support who you prefer more. Personal preference will get you the goods.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  17. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (355) May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

kegahead, I couldn't disagree with that statement. If asked this question a year from now Surly might not be in my top 5

18. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,021) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Manor Hill
    Aslin
    Ocelot
    The Answer
    Veil

VA and MD are finally starting to blow up some really good IPAs. Been waiting a few years and now we've arrived to the dance.

Cook82 and Xenoreactive like this.
  19. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,021) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Yeah freshness is king. After drinking mostly American juicy/fruity IPAs for pretty much last 6-12 mo. I revisited our local Brewer's Alley IPA (English style), and it was such a refreshing change of pace/flavor. Yes a whole different thing, but fresh English IPA well made is still incredible if you have access to any locally. With that said, I'm getting ready to pop an Enjoy By here in a minute.

ecpho and TongoRad like this.
  20. Jarnet87

Jarnet87 Initiate (91) Jul 30, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Civil Society gets my vote for South FL if I am going local, probaly Trillium out of all the IPAs I have tried.

21. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,502) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Lots of great regional IPAs. What makes me smile the most is a cold Heady being pulled from my cooler. It's always right, makes my beach week, a much appreciated thanks to the BAs who made this happen.

22. Hoppity1

Hoppity1 Aspirant (239) Apr 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Stuff localish for me:
    TG - King Sue, Pompeii & Sosus
    Pipeworks - Fish series/Ninja series, Lizard King
    Mikerphone - Lunches Brunches & interviews was amazing one of the years best for me. Special Sauce B3, just got B4 today!
    Half Acre - Beer Hates Astronauts, DDC, GDDC
    Surly - Todd the Axeman
    FFF - many

Stuff I traded for this year:
    Several Singlecut, very solid IPA/DIPAs
    Trillium
    Wicked Weed

Karnivool1 likes this.
  23. Sir_Whats-his-face

Sir_Whats-his-face Initiate (162) Mar 2, 2015 Oregon

I totally agree with all the votes for Boneyard, and it's great to see Fort George getting some love.

If I had to put money on one brewery from my state that everyone's gonna be trading for in a couple years, I'd go with Block 15. They have an extremely varied catalog of IPAs, and they're all top-tier. Boneyard and Fort George are making incredible West Coast IPAs, but nobody I can get out here is making IPAs as varied and consistently great as Block 15.

unhyped likes this.
  24. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,794) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Who's making the Best? Obviously someone not in my distribution area.

25. jparizo

jparizo Initiate (112) Jan 16, 2011 Indiana

Honestly, Heady Topper and Gandhi Bot (or G-Bot now...don't get me started) are two of the best I've had. Can't hate.

CTbrew32, teckademic and Justdoit1234 like this.
  26. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,322) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Which one? They brew quite a few.:wink:

27. David_Deas

David_Deas Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 North Carolina

Nope.

Hill Farmstead took what the Alchemist was doing and amped it up. Then Tree House took what Hill Farmstead was doing and shot that up to the next level.

Aslin is good. Don't get me wrong. But they'll never be great just by *copying* Tree House or Trillium, which is all they're really doing right now. The new hotness always has to offer something more on their take of the last.

#307 David_Deas, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    beernuts likes this.
  28. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,001) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Tired Hands is all the rage in Eastern PA. But, frankly, I think that their beers are overrated.

29. jparizo

jparizo Initiate (112) Jan 16, 2011 Indiana

Was talking beer with my neighbor and sparked my memory. Deschutes has some great offerings. Fresh Squeezed is my favorite, but Pinedrops is also very tasty.

30. HeyItsThatGuy

HeyItsThatGuy Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2016 Illinois

If your in Chicago, try to get you hands on one of Pipework's fish series, They include some of the best IPA's I've ever had (Spotted Puffer, Emerald Grouper, Crimson Snapper, Black Tuna, etc.) So in my opinion, I think Pipeworks is putting out some of the best hoppy beers in Chicago. I also enjoyed Great Lakes' Chillwave, Founder's Mosaic Promise, and recently had the Nu Tropic from Stillwater, Possibly the tartest IPA I've ever had and GOD! was that good! That just a few that I've enjoyed, I honestly can't even name all of em right now because there's just too many! ISN'T THAT GREAT?! ISN'T THIS JUST A GREAT PERIOD IN TIME TO BE DRINKING BEER?! WOOOO! Now excuse me, because I now wish to try to chug all the IPA's in my fridge without dying, CHEERS!

Karnivool1 likes this.
  31. DVMin98

DVMin98 Poo-Bah (3,375) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Locally, in Charlotte, Heist Brewing is kicking butt. Blurred is the Word, Not from Concentrate as well as the beast they call Citraquintial. If you're in town, I recommend checking them out!

surfcaster likes this.
  32. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (159) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

Ninja vs Unicorn

Xenoreactive likes this.
  33. lovindahops

lovindahops Meyvn (1,020) Mar 26, 2010 New York

That's an excellent list and trust me... You will enjoy it. I will say this, the greatest Trillium beer that I've ever had didn't make your list... Heavy Mettle. You will need to seek that out to are trilliums Amarillo juice nuke. It's divine

34. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (319) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

I'd like to see this thread redone with the exception of TH, RR, Alc, Lawsons, Trill.....just to see what answers would be given then. Not because I have anything against any of them

cavedave likes this.
  35. Tphelan9

Tphelan9 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2013 Rhode Island

Monkish Brewing, SoCal! Spock it is amazing!!

m_chandlr, chipawayboy and CJNAPS like this.
  36. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Meyvn (1,089) Nov 3, 2013 California

Fieldwork brewing here in the Bay area is making some great IPA's. I'm in Cali so there's great IPA's everywhere.

beermeplz likes this.
  37. ions

ions Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 Maryland

Since this will be a debate older then time itself and no one is gonna be right or wrong, I'm just gonna name some of my local favorites (less then 2hrs in either direction)

Tired Hands if I wanna drive less then 2hrs north
    [​IMG]

RAR if I wanna drive less then 2hrs south
    [​IMG]

DC Brau, Union, Manor Hill if I wanna travel less then 30mins or want to be able to walk into a place and get fresh less then a week old beer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I'm in the VA area The Veil, Aslin and Ocelot are some of my favorites in the area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cook82, Xenoreactive and cavedave like this.
  38. yesterdayfaraway

yesterdayfaraway Meyvn (1,080) May 21, 2015 Missouri

I just had a fresh King sue and it was the best IPA I've ever had.
    Better than Julius and hop slam by quite a bit too

39. David_Deas

David_Deas Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 North Carolina

I should hope King Sue is better than Hopslam, which is a beer I don't see as belonging in a conversation about best IPA's.

#319 David_Deas, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  40. mrwipemedown

mrwipemedown Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2015 Florida

I've just gotten into trading lately but have done a ton in a short amount of time and picked up lots of amazing beers on my vacation.

My current bests and favorites are some from this list which I'm sure has been said over and over.

Heady
    SOS
    WW Freak
    Captains daughter
    GBot
    Jade
    Pliny
    Tropicalia

I have 3 Julius on the way and can't wait to try. From seeing the styles and beers I enjoy, what do you guys recommend that is similar or dare I say "better"? Gonna try and get a king sue soon. I have 2 packs of pseudosue coming Wednesday.

Just looking ahead since I basically got all my current ISO beers, and want to make a list of next ones I should try when I start running out of these. I'm in Orlando and absolutely love Jai Alai too of course and got some white oak this week.

Thanks to all of you for the world of info here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.