Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Who's Brewing this Weekend? 11-2 11-3 (First weekend of November!)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by inchrisin, Oct 30, 2013.

1. inchrisin

I've got my days off split up and they just changed to tomorrow, (Thursday), and next Monday. I'm going to get a Kolsch started and top crop to add to a Berliner that should be ready sometime over the weekend. I'll also beef up a starter for my Apfel Bock and bottle some plum wine that I've neglected.

What's everyone else up to?

2. OddNotion

Beer Trader

Hoping to finish off the remainder of a keg or a sour saison to make room to keg up my Brett IPA. With the opening in my kegerator I will put in my hoppy blonde. Probably keg up and dry hop a riwaka saison.

I will be brewing an SN Celebration clone (using yeast on hand Wyeast 1318, or I could go with my packet of US-05 but I like having that on hand for emergencies) for Xmas/New Years. I hope it comes out close!

inchrisin likes this.
  3. inchrisin

When you dedicate a line and a keg to sours do you do anything different to clean them out in between, or do you just let the funk roll after some cleaner and sanitizer?

4. VikeMan

Beer Trader

Northern English Brown Ale with WLP002.

5. sjverla

Busy week ahead. Rye IPA for Saturday or Sunday. Munich/Glacier SMaSH that I'm really excited about for Monday or Wednesday, then bottling my stupid stalled brown mild Thursday or Friday. Also attempting to build some sort of "double wide" fermentation chamber out of a large tote, some old tent poles, insulating foam and/or moving blankets...

6. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator
    Staff Member Subscriber Beer Trader

I will be overnight mashing 2 beers on Friday night. One is a Winter Warmer with Chinook, Willamette, and Crystal. The other is a 9% Imperial Stout that will get Elijah Craig soaked oak chips in the keg in a few weeks. Have a buddy coming over to learn brewing. Both beers are going to be no sparge, should have 2 beers on the burners by 8am. Tapping my keg of Autumn IPA made 3 weeks ago too.

DROOO likes this.
  7. utahbeerdude

With any luck I'll be kegging my Koelsch and then letting it lager until Thanksgiving. I also hope to finish my rolling brewing cart (kettle burner only), so that I can roll the boil kettle inside to the kitchen for cooling the wort in the winter when all my outside hoses are frozen.

8. bgjohnston

No brewing, fermenting a hoppy altbier and conditioning my citra SMASH IPA, which finally went into bottles this week after dry hopping for 4 weeks. I have kids, that's my only explanation for taking so long.

9. OddNotion

Beer Trader

I dedicate a keg to funky beers but the line I just run with it, normal cleaning procedures. I figure that the keg is sitting around 38-40 degrees so not much fermentation will go on (if the brett/bacteria even make it into the keg somehow) in the relatively short amount of time that the keg is in there.

rocdoc1 and inchrisin like this.
  10. JohnSnowNW

Beer Trader

Brewing a Rye IPA...as some of you know.

11. CASK1

It's AHA's "teach a friend to home-brew" day on Saturday. My club is planning a group brew at the LHBS, conveniently located right next to Bold City Brewery. I'll be brewing a red IPA for aging on cedar. Should be a fun afternoon!

12. HerbMeowing

Subscriber

Point of Order, Mr. Chairman.
    In my woods...the first weekend in November starts Friday the 1st...4 PM sharp!

Biere blanche
    Belgian pale
    Flaked wheat
    EKG
    Coriander Seed
    Orange Peel, Bitter
    WLP400
    SRM ~5
    IBU ~18

13. MrOH

Bottling an IPA, possibly bottling a dark strong spiced saison that's been sitting on rum soak oak cubes. Probably won't be ready for this Christmas, but I bet it'll be tits for next. Might also brew a fairly straightforward saison to test out the Mangrove Jack's Belgian Ale yeast if I'm feeling really ambitious, but I haven't been feeling that ambitious lately.

14. koopa

Beer Trader

Kegging my own variation of Tasty McDole's APA on Saturday and brewing an Imperial Red that day which will go onto the APA's yeast cake. Also beginning the lagering process on 15 gallons of baltic porter. After lagering for 6+ weeks 5g is destined to remain straight baltic porter, 5g might receive some zataran's rootbeer extract in the keg, and the other 5g will receive gnome rootbeer extract, homemade vanilla bean extract, wildflower honey, and cane sugar in the keg (after killing the yeast) then also be carbed higher to make it more soda like!

Boonedog likes this.
  15. VikeMan

Beer Trader

Really? What kind of hops will you be using? :)

JohnSnowNW and pweis909 like this.
  16. premierpro

Subscriber

I did not get to my Alt last weekend so I'll make it happen this Sunday.

17. SwillBilly

My shipment of 2013 hops from Freshops came in so it's IPA time. Gonna try out Wyeast new seasonal West Coast IPA 1217. FWH w/Columbus, Mosaic, Citra, Amarillo and Centennial hop bursted.

18. jlpred55

I am finally brewing the English IPA I had on deck for last weekend.

19. DROOO

got some ECY20 and 01 to pitch —> lambics.

20. mnstorm99

The next couple months look crazy. Probably no brewing this weekend, but I will need to get an APA going soon...keeping the kegs filled :)

21. ventura78

Brewing a Christmas beer on Saturday.

22. Naugled

Subscriber

I have RB clone and RIS to brew this weekend as well as kegging an English IPA and a Dubbel. It's going to be a busy weekend.

23. fAtHanD

On Saturday I am brewing 11 gallons of a Dry Stout. Half fermented with WLP004 and the other with WLP029 which I am adding 4 oz of molasses. Also breaking in a rectangular cooler mash tun that I built over the summer and haven't had time to use yet. And I am brewing by myself. Something I haven't done in a long time and I am really looking forward to it.

24. jmw

jmw

Our club is participating in this also, being held on the patio of the restaurant that hosts our meetings and opening it up to anyone in this small town that wants to come. Several brews going on, not sure what they will be.

25. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Brewing the BYO clone of FBS. Changing the sumatran coffee to espresso roast and keeping the kona on board. I hope it turns out half as good as FBS.

26. coldy

Will be brewing an oktoberfest...I know its quite late but I have the ingredients and it needs to be brewed.

27. SteelieB

American Stout, half will have cocoa nibs in secondary. I have not brewed since July. It will be nice to get some back in the kegs.

28. BrewMichigan

Same here, no beer since July. Looking forward to get back on the horse with a nice Pale Ale. Also have to use some hops up before the wife will let me buy some more :p

29. rocdoc1

The amber I brewed for my daughter has gone from 1.068 to 1.012 so I'll keg it and brew a porter to rack onto the yeast cake. I get off work in 52 minutes and hopefully will have this brewed before the wife gets off work this afternoon.

30. marc77

Well, since my lager yeast seems DOA, I'll brew an IPA instead. Looking like a 50% mix of Mandarina and Polaris hops. Polaris is super dank, Mandarina, well, smells like mandarins.

31. brewmandan

I'm not planning to brew anything this weekend, but I do need to bottle my Oktoberfest. Heck, between that and watching football, I may try to find time to throw together a batch of cider.

32. Fireslayer

Beer Trader

No brewing but will be cold crashing and kegging two beers. An alesmith ipa clone and a pumpkin ale.

33. b-one

Sadly no. Fall has come and I can only temp control one fermentation that is currently in progress. Next weekend however...

34. InVinoVeritas

Beer Trader

Brewing NB Chinook IPA, it was just too good a deal to pass up. For the Columbus Day sale it was like $14 after AHA discount. Going to add some more to the dry hop bill. Adding 1oz Amarillo and 1oz Cascade to the kit scheduled 1oz Chinook.

35. kjyost

I'm going to brew up something Sunday. I have a Saison yeast cake, some Conan, a ton of lager yeast (dry), US05 and S04 so we'll see what the mood decides for me...

I really want to make my imperial black wit, but I don't have the yeast yet...

36. Bjohnston

Beer Trader

Teaching a few guys to brew tomorrow. Going to brew 12 gallons American Wild Ale with domestic 2 Row, white wheat, Acidulated malt, flaked oats, Citra hops, juice and zest from some clementines. Will ferment one with Crooked Stave's Brett and the other with my bug blend. Will also be pitching the dregs of any sour beers consumed tomorrow into the house blend culture.

37. InVinoVeritas

Beer Trader

Where was my invite, I still need to get a wild going. Just kidding, have fun!

Bjohnston likes this.
  38. sjverla

Holy hell...an imperial black wit...

I was honestly about to say something along the lines of 'talk about 'damn the man' brewing'...but then it occurred to me (literally in the middle of typing), that with the right yeast, fermentation and hops, you might actually come pretty damn close to approximating opium...

Good luck to you, sir!

kjyost and Bjohnston like this.
  39. southdenverhoo

Belgian-American pale ale, my standard 14 to 15 Plato American pale ale grist (9.5 lbs base malt, 2 lb
    Light Munich, .5 lb Crisp light crystal) but Castle pils malt subbed for the Rahr or Gambrinus 2 row I would usually use as base malt, and WL 550 instead of US-05...Maybe 55-60 IBU via Chinooks for bittering and an all-Mosaic hop burst w additions at 10, 5, and knockout. Simple beer but first one since I moved, putting the system back together after a 6 month layoff...

#39 southdenverhoo, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  40. Boonedog

I too am helping out my club. We are doing a lil sumpin clone AG and an extract.

inchrisin likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe