Who's Brewing this Weekend 4/19-4/20

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by inchrisin, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inchrisin

inchrisin Zealot (571) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

High times on Easter. Anyone staying away from the egg fields to brew instead?

I'll get into racking a questionable lager and a heavy stout sometime, but it won't be until early next week. Relatives will be taking my weekend.

2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

I'll be brewing a wheat on The Lord's Day.

69% White Wheat
    29% GP
    2% Honey Malt

.25 oz Cascade FWH
    1 oz Amarillo @ 5 min

Wyeast 1010

3. marc77

marc77 Poo-Bah (2,044) May 25, 2001 California
    Society

Also doing a wheat with Wyeast 1010 (great Am wheat strain that one!). Brit pale, Weyermann Wheat, Midnight Wheat. All calypso hops. Doing it for our clubs dark session beer challenge. OG maybe 1.045 or so.

FATC1TY and CASK1 like this.
  4. od_sf

od_sf Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2010 California

Either doing an oatmeal stout, or a saison with 3726. Need to look at the weather report. If its cool: stout, if its hot: saison.

Chickenhawk9932 likes this.
  5. basscram

basscram Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2006 Maine
    Deactivated

Brewing Saturday.10 gallon batch. 2 different yeasts, hefe,American lager on the same beer. split batch. 17lb vienna,8 lb rice flakes,3 lbs 6 row. 3 oz hallertau FW. 1oz simcoe 30 and 15 and 2 oz at flameout. should be interesting. haven't brewed since december because my temp controlled freezer has been filled with kegs. Its free now. time to brew

6. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2012 Minnesota

Just bottling a hoppy wheat. Will try not to commit murder in the process. I hate bottling.

80% us two row
    20% white wheat
    1.058 OG (over shot 1.055 target)

Small bittering charge of centennial
    Modest late additions and hefty whirlpool and DH additions of nelson, citra, and centennial a la the pupil

inchrisin and BeerKangaroo like this.
  7. CASK1

CASK1 Disciple (316) Jan 7, 2010 Florida

My club is doing a wort share! Green Room Brewing is preparing 7 barrels of an all-Pils wort (target 1.048 FG), which club members can get for $15 for 7 gallons (pre-boil). We can then add whatever steeping grains, adjuncts, hops, yeast, etc. to make each brew unique. About 10 of us are setting up outside the brewery, with club buying lunch and plenty of home-brew to share. We'll have a club competition in a few months to judge the final products. I'm brewing an all-Brett Saison with my share. Can't wait!

utahbeerdude likes this.
  8. Abawol01

Abawol01 Initiate (41) Dec 17, 2013 Michigan

I'm likely doing a double batch on Sunday. Oatmeal stout and an English brown. Nothing special but since I don't have anything going on it seemed like a good day to bust out the equipment.

Chickenhawk9932 likes this.
  9. Smokebox_79

Smokebox_79 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 Pennsylvania

Big weekend for me, today I'm getting a starter going, racking 2 gallons of peach-apple wine, racking a Belgian Triple and washing the yeast, racking a 6 gallon session APA into 6 one gallon glass jugs and dry hopping each with a 1/2 oz of Calypso, El Dorado, Summer, Huell Melon, Mosaic, and Nelson respectively, and washing that yeast. And tomorrow I'm brewing a 10 gallon ESB

16 lbs 6 oz Marris
    1 lbs 2 oz Crystal 40L
    5 oz Pale Chocolate
    5 oz Roasted Barley

Can't wait til it's done! One of my favorite recipes I've done.

inchrisin likes this.
  10. DaveOrlowski

DaveOrlowski Initiate (135) Mar 11, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Wish I was brewing this weekend! Instead ill be building my new boil keggle (long overdue) and bottling/kegging my Hoppiness Is An IPA that I tried dry hopping two ways.

11. IrishHockey

IrishHockey Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2012 Indiana

Me and a buddy are brewing a 10 gallon batch. We are going to try a red IPA. We are using Malz Red X to try and get the red. Hopefully it works, if not, should still be a tasty beer. We are splitting the batch and each using a different yeast. I'm using a PacMan yeast and I believe he is using Conan. Should be fun

12. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (611) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

I am going to go nuts, no brewing for me until June. Probably just sampling my wedding brew as it is carbonating/dry hopping to see where it is at.
    I
    Dont
    Want
    to
    Bottle
    This
    At least it will be from a beer gun. ~14 gallons.

CurtFromHershey likes this.
  13. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Iowa

Did my brewing duties last night, won't have a chance to brew my saison this weekend. Racked 1 gallon of Gose to secondary on oak cubes. Racked 1 gallon Gose to secondary on tangelo zest and juice. Got 20 bottles from the rest of the brew. Smells nice and tart, but no tartness (or minimal) in the flavor. Should be a nice warm weather refresher.
    Cheers!

14. scurvy311

scurvy311 Aspirant (248) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

I have a window between competition batches. I'm brewing a beer inspired by my love for the black Crowes. It's called raven-haired girl. It is a schwarzbier base but roastier, darker, with a hop flavor profile that I think is befitting the Crowes.

15. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Some kind of Lambic

16. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Aspirant (249) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

No brewing this weekend. But will be bottling 2 ipas.

17. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

I get to have some fun this weekend. This is strictly because I want to and I can. I will be doing 11.5 gallons of Rye Saison. 8# GW NW Pale Malt, 4# Flaked Rye, 2# MFB Munich, 1.037 OG, 24 IBUs. Amarillo, Calypso, Crystal at 1:1:2 both at 15 mins and 45 minute WP @ 170*F.

5.25 Gallons:
    Allagash Confluence culture (House Belgian + House Brett)
    1oz Amarillo DH

5.25 Gallons:
    Small dose 3725, Small dose 3726, 2 Lacto pitches (grain, yogurt), 5 Brett strains (Trios, B [Elysian's Mortis), BSI Lambicus, WY C, Flat Tail Brewing Plum Skin Isolate dubbed "Brett F")
    1oz Amarillo DH

1 Gallon:
    Tej yeast isolate to test its ability to ferment an all grain sugar based wort.

od_sf and CASK1 like this.
  18. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (253) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

still trying to get a game plan together, but hoping to carve out time to brew up an easy drinking dry stout with a small soured portion.

19. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (839) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

Got some WLP007 going as a starter

Thinking a pale ale, with maris otter, carabelge, touch of wheat malt and lots of hallertau/saaz/tettnang

20. ParchedNeedBeer

ParchedNeedBeer Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2011 California

So the base is a 5 gal MoreBeer Citra pale ale extract kit. Then I'm gonna blow it up with an extra pound of carapils in the steep, then add an extra pound of DME Light and extra pound of corn sugar.

Then adding to the kit that already had 3 oz Citra and 1/2 oz Magnum hop bill:

1oz mosaic
    2oz Falconers Flight
    2oz Zythos

Pitching with a starter of The Yeast Bay Vermont Ale, aka CONAN!

I have no idea what this will end up like, no calcs. Just rock it out and have a beer.

21. FlatBeer

FlatBeer Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2013 New Jersey

Tart of darkness clone!! (Extract kit from morebeer.com). First sour/wild, and second brew.
    I really like the roasty taste you get with the tart of darkness. Any words of advice if I want to make that flavor more prominent?

22. Sorgasm

Sorgasm Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2007 Oregon

*Hopefully* brewing up a batch of my Deadhead Red (NW red ale w/ toasted hemp seeds).

23. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (3,263) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

No brewing, bottling a Maibock, moving an Southern English Brown to secondary.
    Then 2 equipment upgrades.

Cheers all

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  24. flagmantho

flagmantho Poo-Bah (7,188) Feb 19, 2009 Washington
    Society

Kegging my California Common -- my sympathy goes out to the bottlers on this thread dreading the task.

I will probably do an oatmeal stout tomorrow, and maybe either a dunkelweizen or IPA/OPA.

CurtFromHershey likes this.
  25. OldSock

OldSock Zealot (575) Apr 3, 2005 District of Columbia

Considering an American-hopped saison with The Yeast Bay's Saison Blend. Maybe brew 6 gallons and bottle some of it with Brett when I keg the rest.

od_sf and psnydez86 like this.
  26. flagmantho

flagmantho Poo-Bah (7,188) Feb 19, 2009 Washington
    Society

I'm curious: how much salt did you use in this batch? My one gose turned out *way* too salty.

27. Mullen2525

Mullen2525 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2012 Massachusetts

Taking a stab at an English Pale this weekend.

28. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Iowa

I followed the recipe given by BYO, which called for .75 oz. When I checked my FG after 10 days in primary it tasted pretty salty, and I was dismayed. However, tasting last night it had subdued quite a bit from the first taste (17 days out), but I could tell the salt was enhancing some umph to the beer. Like I stated, I'm hoping there is some tartness that comes through after carbing and aging. For some tartness I pondered brewing a berliner type and doing some mixing, but time got away from me.

29. Chickenhawk9932

Chickenhawk9932 Poo-Bah (1,872) Jul 19, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society

Brewing an Oatmeal Stout right now.
    [​IMG]

30. inchrisin

inchrisin Zealot (571) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Is it easier to do large batches with a beer gun? I wouldn't think it would save any time.

31. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (611) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

I do it to keep the sediment out of the bottle and more control over level of carbonation. In terms of time, no not really.

inchrisin likes this.
  32. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (2,083) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

To echo everyone's bottling woes, racking a peated porter into secondary because I won't have time to bottle.

33. b-one

b-one Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 California

Sadly no. Was going to try the Pliny the Younger clone. Didn't order the hop extract and got busy, figured the LHBS had it. Nope. Kegging though.

34. prevatt28

prevatt28 Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2013 North Carolina

Going to stop in at the lhbs and grab some ingredients for an APA. Or should I try a milk stout....... So many difficult decisions a homebrewer must make.

Cheers

35. psnydez86

psnydez86 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

Just gotta boil my sour wort Berliner. Shouldn't take long.

36. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I'm about to drag it all out to brew up a Golden Sour today with ECY01 and some oak, and a dash of Vanguard in the boil. That one will sit around for.. ever.

Then I'm debating brewing up a Kolsch after that, but might instead do a hoppy wheat with some 1010 I have on hand. Thinking maybe a Mosaic and amarillo hop combo. The Kolsch will be a simple grist, and probably some Vanguard and Sterling that I'll have around/open in small amounts that I need to use. Thought about using some american hops in it, but nothing really sounds appealing.

I've got a Berliner, american wheat, golden sour, pale, and kolsch grain bills all milled up and ready to pick from. Just deciding what needs to be brewed is the hardest.

APA Stout, DIPA, Blonde and Berliner are currently on the taps.. I need another dark beer to brew soon.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  37. jmlewisjr

jmlewisjr Initiate (115) Dec 28, 2011 Massachusetts

Brewed my first batch of of the season of my Beach Pale Ale yesterday...hopefully ready for that first warm spring day.

59% 2 Row
    32% Red Wheat
    5% C20
    5% Honey Malt

A Little bittering charge from Simcoe, then Simcoe and Amarillo as late additions along with the peels of two oranges and two lemons. The 1056 is already chugging away.

38. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Well, passed on the double brew day due to the late start, so just one batch this weekend I guess.

Got the sour brewed up, and pitched the bugs, and gonna let it do it's thing.

Kolsch and probably an american wheat next week it is.

39. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Boiling my first homebrew right now! It's a wheat beer kit. God I hope it's at least drinkable.

bushycook and Chickenhawk9932 like this.
  40. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Oh yeah, and my whole house smells soooooo goooooddd!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.