Who's brewing this weekend? (July 18, 2014)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by koopa, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koopa

koopa Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey

Going for an aroma hopped + fresh zested citrusy saison this weekend.
    Fermenting with ECY08 - Brasserie Blend
    Late hopping with: Pacific Jade, Nelson Sauvin, Citra, Sorachi Ace
    adding a small amount of grains of paradise too
    Dry hopping with: Nelson Sauvin, Citra, Sorachi Ace, and Mosaic
    Also adding a small amount of fresh lemon and tangelo zest while dry hopping
    Gonna keep the abv to the low side and mash for fermentabilty, but give the grain bill a slight overhaul to balance it out and keep it from just being citrus water :slight_smile:

What's everybody else up to?

2. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

Sounds like a refreshing recipe.

I'm brewing my third Berliner in a row, same recipe as my last two.
    First one is fermenting away, second is souring.
    Get to start picking fruit soon =D First up is 4.5# of raspberries.

#2 jivex5k, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  3. inchrisin

inchrisin Zealot (571) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Indianapolis Microbrew Festival is going on this weekend. I'll be volunteering there and getting a few slurries together. No Berliner Weisse this weekend. I'll have to pull double-time next weekend.

4. CASK1

CASK1 Disciple (316) Jan 7, 2010 Florida

Got a two-week-old yeast cake begging to ferment an American Stout. Prejudging our home-brew comp Saturday and Sunday, so hopefully get to play hooky on Friday and get'er done.

5. jmich24

jmich24 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

10 Gallons of Hefe wort
    5 gallons will get 3068
    5 gallons will get BugFarm

jbakajust1 likes this.
  6. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Just boiled 1 gallon of water and 2.5# Demera sugar with some citric acid down to 1/2 gallon. Brewing 15 gallons of Belgian Blonde with it Saturday. 10 gallons is getting pitched with slurry from a Saison I just did with wild Sacc isolated fro VA air by Jasper Yeast. The other 5 gallons is getting a few Brett strains (a couple from Jasper in there too) plus Cascade's Lacto. After primary they will be blended into a 14 gallon wine barrel with more Lacto strains and maybe some pedio. Give it 6 months. Draw off 5 gallons, add in 5 gals of something else. Solera time baby.

CASK1, koopa and eaglepar3 like this.
  7. marc77

marc77 Poo-Bah (2,044) May 25, 2001 California
    Society

Helles/Maibock of sorts with mostly Vienna malt. Building up a 5 L stir plate starter for Sunday. I'm using Wyeast Octoberfest blend. It's super malty, uber clean.

8. eaglepar3

eaglepar3 Disciple (387) Jun 5, 2009 Oregon

No brewing this weekend, but we will probably bottle our Flanders Red and put it away to age for the next year. It is down to 1.004, after about six weeks in the carboy.

9. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Aspirant (249) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

Brewing an ipa but I am not sure of the hops yet. Picked up some Motueka and Zythos which I haven't used so at least 1 of those will be in the mix. Also brewing an imperial stout that I am going to add around 6oz of bourbon to that had vanilla beans, cocoa nibs and oak cubes soaking in it.

10. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (611) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

No brewing for me. Just some miscellaneous brewing related tasks/checking progress from my 3 batches brewed last Saturday. Finally have my other brews carbed up in the kegs and ready to go!

11. jlpred55

jlpred55 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

Well, after being on hiatus for 7 months due to a demanding work schedule in combination with building a new house, I'm back to brewing. I have one beer on tap currently, a historical IPA recipe from Steele’s IPA book. It has come into its own in the last month but I need a whole lot more, so this brew:
    Overnight mash
    RO- build
    11 gals of 100% Rahr Pale Ale wort to 1.050
    All crystal hops to about 20 IBUS @ 45m, 10m, 0m
    5.5 gals will get US-05
    5.5 gals will get something else (haven’t decided) and 2 oz of Crystal dry hop. 1968, 3522, ????
    Want these to be on tap in 3 weeks so clean/speed is of the essence.

MrOH likes this.
  12. scurvy311

scurvy311 Aspirant (248) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

Doing a dusseldorf Altbier (based on BCS recipe adjusted for my system and my predictions of what the judges will want). My last entry for Roberts Cove Germanfest comp. This is the local beer of where the decendents came from in Germany. I'll probably bottle a few for the comp and enter the keg in the people's choice comp. I'm hoping my historically accurate style and name (North Rhine Altbier) plays well with the peeps.

68.25 % Pilsner Floor Malted
    15.17 % Munich Malt MB
    7.58 % Aromatic
    3.79 % Caramunich Malt
    3.32 % Acidulated Malt
    1.90 % Rice Hulls

0.70 ozs 37.56 Magnum 60 mins 14.00
    0.50 ozs 2.30 Tettnang 15 mins 4.50

Wyeast 1007

13. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

Doing a Maine Beer Co Lunch clone, I love that stuff.

14. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Poo-Bah (2,671) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Society

not much to do except transfer a lager to cold conditioning. shoulda already done it, but I figure it's a lager and an extra week or so in the primary won't hurt anything.

having a house party type thingie with bbq, beer, and bands (inc my band, naturally, plus my old band and some misc assorted). hoping my accidental beers that are bottled will be ready by then. one, a sam adams summer ale clone, accidentally got dry hopped big time, while the pale ale/ipa thingie that was supposed to get dry hopped, well, it didn't. I'm sure they'll be drinkable (the pale ale/ipa thing probablywon't suffer much at all). the sam adams thingie might turn out a little odd.... :rolling_eyes:

15. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

10 gallon batch of a session IPA grain bill will be based on stones San Diego County session but I'll hop with Nelson, Amarillo, Citra, mosaic. 5 gallons will get London Ale 3, and the other 5 will get 029 Kolsch. really digging what kolsch yeast does in a hoppy beer

16. zimm421

zimm421 Meyvn (1,146) Jan 24, 2009 Ohio

Planning on a 100% Brett Trois saison, using an overnight mash for the first time. Then hoping to follow up with a RIS for this winter. Also have an IPA that needs bottled... Looking forward to a busy Saturday morning.

BeerMe330 likes this.
  17. sjverla

sjverla Disciple (397) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

A stepped-up version of one of my better batches lately. Taking my American Bitter (4.2%) and making it a hop-bursted APA (5.5%). Citra, Chinook and Tahoma (new daughter of Glacier).

10 lbs Golden Promise
    5 oz C-15
    1.5 oz C-120
    2 oz Amber malt
    2 oz Acidulated Malt

.5 oz Chinook at 15
    .5 oz Citra at 5
    1 oz Chinook at FO
    2 oz Tahoma at FO
    .75 oz Citra at FO

BeerMe330 likes this.
  18. BeerMe330

BeerMe330 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 Ohio

Brewing batch 2 of 3 of pumpkin ale for a wedding in October. Simple NB recipe. Bottling a blonde ale and racking pumpkin batch #1. Phew.

19. BeerMe330

BeerMe330 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 Ohio

Where at in Ohio? LMK how the overnighter goes.

20. zimm421

zimm421 Meyvn (1,146) Jan 24, 2009 Ohio

I'm in Columbus - grew up in the 330 though (taking a wild guess based on your username). Hopefully everything goes smoothly. Just trying to cut down on the brew day a little.

21. redmaw

redmaw Initiate (180) Jun 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

Bottling my hefewiezen, and brewing a weizenbock to pitch on the cake.

22. riTLce

riTLce Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2011 California

Going for a red IPA to use up some of the leftover hops from the last IPA brewed a few weeks ago. Not sure of the grain bill just yet but working with:

Czech Saaz
    Falconer's
    Mosaic
    Calypso

NiceFly likes this.
  23. ThomP

ThomP Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Texas

I am making an SMaSH, German Vienna with Toasted oats and Willamette, finish with the US-05.

24. epic1856

epic1856 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2006 California

Does brewing today count? I just finished up a double IPA using Centennial, Columbus, and Citra. Always fun using 1 lb of hops for a 5 gallon batch.

25. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Disciple (340) Apr 13, 2002 Georgia

Brewing a pte clone tomorrow, using NB hop shots and a shit load of simcoe Amarillo and Columbus and centennial in the fo and whirlpool additions.

26. Bjohnston

Bjohnston Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2011 Kentucky

Brewing up 10 gallons of an IPA and a hoppy saison. Belgian pils, 2 Row, and Crystal 15 for the grains (1.062 OG if I hit my numbers). Hopped heavily at whirlpool with Mandarina Bavaria and Amarillo (Same for dry hops). 5 gallons getting a healthy pitch of 1056 and 5 gallons getting a healthy pitch of WLP565 and WLP644.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  27. jbakajust1

Yes, pretty much from the moment the post goes up until the new one next "weekend" counts.

28. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

No brewing for me, again.

Really want to get another sour going. I have a fermented out batch of a second batch of scotch ale, that I was playing around with.. It's been sitting on some oak for a while now, I'm super tempted to toss in some ECY02 Flemish in it, and see what comes of it for shits and giggles.

I might try and brew tomorrow, depends how I feel, and how the kids decide to be tomorrow.

29. jbakajust1

Got up at 7:30, started the sparge, boiled for 30 minutes, racked to the Better Bottles, pitched the yeast, cleaned up. Done. Love overnight mashing.

30. Scope4Beer

Scope4Beer Initiate (159) Sep 28, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Bottling my West Coast style IPA tomorrow. Hopbursted with primarily Citra, Simcoe, and Amarillo. Has a little Columbus and Centennial in it too.

31. jmich24

jmich24 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

I brewed a 10 Gallons of Hefe wort today (49% Floor malted wheat, 49% Belgian Pils and 2% Melanoidin)
    Five gallons got Wyeast 3068 and five gallons got ECY01.

A sour batch from last July got racked on top of 10 pounds of tart cherries from the farmers market today.
    Then kegged a triple berry (frozen mix) sour.

As if that wasn't enough work, I made a quick extract beer to rack on top of the year old sour cake, RR Oak and more dregs while mashing the hefe wort.

Currently enjoying a beer I named Cherry Funk, a sour using last years Michigan Tart Cherry harvest.

Full Circle!
    Cheers!

JohnSnowNW, FATC1TY and jbakajust1 like this.
  32. MarriedAtGI

MarriedAtGI Initiate (119) Feb 26, 2013 Illinois

Citra IPA.

The recipe looks a lot like the extract version of APA IPA except with all Citra. Splitting for two yeasts, Omega Labs DIPA (Conan) and Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley Ale. I really like both of these yeasts and the contrast between them. If it comes out close to Zombie Dust, I'll brew it again with 1968 London ESB.

After an all day all grain saison brewing with friends last week, it was nice to get a quick extract batch in by myself. It's just a little after 10 in the morning and the wort is already chilled.

33. fuzzbalz

Brewed my pte clone yesterday, here's a pic of the hop's. 2.5oz of pelletized hops and three syringes of NB hop shots, this was for a 2.5 gal batch.
    [​IMG]

inchrisin and NiceFly like this.
  34. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

Holy crap those hopshots are dark...maybe just the lighting?

35. atpca

atpca Zealot (535) Jun 10, 2013 California
    Trader

Finally had some tart cherries show up in town. Pulled a couple gallons off the solera for a kriek, so topping it up again.

[​IMG]

36. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

That was my thought. My hopshots, albeit, not bought pre filled, look like straight up lupulin juice.

37. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,095) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Brewed up 10 gallons of 1.065 IPA. 85% two row, 15% Munich. Splitting fermentation between Vermont Ale and US05.
    I also cut up and froze 5 pounds of peaches and 5 pounds of kiwis which will be added separately to two carboys filled with Berliners.

koopa likes this.
  38. NiceFly

NiceFly Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

Just finished my first brew in a long time. 10 gal pale ale with 9oz in the last 20 min. 2oz per 5 gal keg dry hop set aside.

Split it between some Mangrove Jacks British strains.
    Cheers
    [​IMG]

39. fuzzbalz

Yea, pretty dark but I've used them before and they don't seem to effect the color. They melt into a green/brown color once you put them in the wort. By the time I go to chill the wort you can't see any of the color but you do get a bit of oil sheen on top of the wort. I will say I learned one thing from using them and that's to let them warm a bit before adding, if you pull them straight from the fridge and add them they tend to bead up and stick to the sides.

40. ventura78

ventura78 Aspirant (276) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

Bottled up 18 gallons of an Orval clone tonight with my co-brewer. Glad it's done.

Curmudgeon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.