Who's on your Mt. Rushmore of craft beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beaulabauve, Apr 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beaulabauve

beaulabauve Aug 5, 2011 Louisiana

Who's on your Mt. Rushmore of craft beer?

Mine:

Fritz Maytag
    Ken Grossman
    Jim Koch
    Michael Jackson

#1 beaulabauve, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2020
  2. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

We did that already
    Who's on your Mount Rushmore of American craft beer?

(Sure, it's five years old but it takes a long time to chisel those heads onto the mountain :grin: and not so easy change. Not like moving a brewery from "Craft" to non-craft after a change of ownership.)

#2 jesskidden, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  3. beaulabauve

beaulabauve Aug 5, 2011 Louisiana

Ah. Thank you.

4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Well then, what if we carve a different mountain? Say the Crazy Horse sculpture of beer?

Pierre Celis
    Pete Schlossberg
    Sam Caligione
    Bert Grant

Junior and beertrip like this.
  5. Vitacca

Vitacca Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Society Trader

Cory King
    Troy Casey
    Shaun Hill
    Tim Clifford/Adair Paterno

Pstone530 and GreenBayBA like this.
  6. Chipotle

Chipotle Apr 23, 2017 New York

I think Jimmy Carter should be represented on the craft beer Mt. Rushmore. He freed us to brew.

7. jacincm

jacincm Mar 29, 2018 Pennsylvania

Very disappointed that no one said Vinny from Russian River. Him, Sam from DFH and Koch from Sam Adams are the first three that come to mind

Shaun Hill for the “new age” brewers

Ahonky, ChicagoJ, BruChef and 2 others like this.
  8. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Apr 16, 2012 Wisconsin

Charlie Papazian
    John Mallet
    Louis Pasreur
    Michael Jackson

BruChef likes this.
  9. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Vinnie Cilurzo
    Shaun Hill
    John Klimmish
    Greg Koch
    John Hall

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  10. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Credit also goes the Representative William Steiger for introducing the bill, Sen. A Cranston amended it with the homebrew part, Carter signed it. It had more to do with trucking taxation.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/95th-congress/house-bill/1337/summary/35

11. TLA

TLA Jul 14, 2005 Pennsylvania

Ken Grossman
    Greg Koch
    Sam Calagione
    Bill Covaleski

ericwo likes this.
  12. jesskidden

Society Trader

This guy?
    ---Pete Slosberg, quoted in the Denver Post [02/24/1999] 7 months after the sale of "Pete's" to Gambrinus (then one of two US importers of Corona, as well as the owner of Spoetzl).

The paper goes on to note that "...Since the sale, he has all the appearance of a marketing tool, not unlike Colonel Sanders and fried chicken." At the time of the sale, Pete's Wicked Ale (fermented with lager yeast) was brewed by 20M bbl. Stroh, 4th largest brewer in the US, which owned about 20% of the company.

One of the biggest myths going :rolling_eyes:. As noted above by @hopfenunmaltz Carter merely signed a minor bill of changes in the tax code. How it was reported at the time:
    [​IMG]
    As noted in the last sentence - "No arrests have ever been made..." There was no need to "Free" anyone. Homebrew clubs (among the backers of the change) and shops operated and advertised in the open, with articles on homebrewing frequently appearing in the local press and homebrewing books available in most any bookstore.

#12 jesskidden, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  13. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I said I going for the Crazy Horse, not the Rushmore...... :wink:

14. Chipotle

For Pete's sake I was just making a lighthearted reference to the time when home brewing actually became a more popular thing. I know all the background about it already. I hereby retract my comment to include Carter. Obviously it's far too controversial. WTF !

15. jesskidden

Society Trader

Maybe a paper-mache likeness?
    Wait. For Pete's or for Jimmy's? :grin:
    Sorry, but not everyone does (it's repeated ad infinitum* around here) - that's what makes it a myth.

* As is my annoyingly frequent "opposing opinion" :grimacing: (I resisted all evening but come morning... oh, well).

___

Hey, maybe we should turn the topic around to "Who are the Cardiff Giants of Craft Beer?".:smiley:

BBThunderbolt and Chipotle like this.
  16. Chipotle

You're probably right that I shouldn't propagate the myth. To me it just refers to a time when brewing supplies suddenly became available in my neck of the woods. Seems most the great craft brewers started as home brewers.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  17. dennis3951

dennis3951 Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Any list like this should have Fritz Maytag 1st. He showed that Americans were looking to enjoy better beer. Even more important that they were willing to PAY more to drink it.
    The other 3 are
    Ken Grossman
    Jack Mc Alliffe
    Jim Koch

18. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Drink most of my beer (at least 90%) brewed within the city or nearby states. Like drinking other beers when traveling and the great worldwide beers available in Chicago, but my go to beers are local and fresh.

Local Mount Rushmore (Chicago):
    Goose Island:
    (1988) - John Hall & Greg Hall
    Half Acre: (2006) - Gabriel Magliaro
    Revolution: (2010) - John Deth & Jim Cibek
    Spiteful: (2012) - Brad Shaffer & Jason Klein

Regional Mount Rushmore (Within 200 Miles):
    Bell's:
    (1985 in Kalamazoo, MI) - Larry Bell
    Three Floyds: (1996 in Hammond, IN) - Mike Floyd, Nick Floyd & Simon Floyd
    Founders: (1997 in Grand Rapids, MI) - Mike Stevens & Dave Engbers
    3 Sheeps: (2012 in Sheboygan, WI) - Grant Pauly

Rollmeaway2loadout likes this.
  19. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

Nate Lanier
    Ken Grossman
    Shaun Hill
    Cory King
    Todd Alström

ChicagoJ likes this.
  20. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

21. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Mar 28, 2009 California

I agree with @chrisjws from his post back in 2015:

Jim Koch
    Greg Koch
    Vinnie Cilurzo
    Fritz Maytag

ChicagoJ likes this.
  22. sosbombs

sosbombs Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

obviously not an easy task, narrowing it down to just 4. I have always advocated for a Beer Hall of Fame.

Fritz Maytag
    Greg Noonan
    Jim Koch
    Michael Jackson

23. DCH

DCH Jun 12, 2013 New York

Otto of Freising
    William V
    Agilus & Eustace of Luxeuil

24. zid

zid Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

As said, it's very hard narrowing this down, but I think I can live with:

Kelsey Grammer
    Steve Austin
    Tom Green
    Hanson

We'll have to squeeze all three Hanson brothers into the space normally occupied by just one head. I think that's fair. I can't imagine them not being on this list but I don't want them to take up 3/4 of it.

dcotom and SierraNevallagash like this.
  25. chrisjws

chrisjws Dec 3, 2014 California

I thought about it and I still stand by my original picks. This is assuming we are talking American craft beer, or this gets way more complicated.

Fritz (as first as first can really get)
    Greg Koch (hard boundary pusher, edgy advocate)
    Jim Koch (mainstreamer, mainstream advocate)
    Vinnie (game changing innovation)

Ken Grossman is one of my obvious omissions and that's meant as a disrespect to him as much as it's an acknowledgement of the included. Michael Jackson, the Halls and quite a few others are right on the edge of making my list but not quite. They're my second team all-craft.

Fritz is always there, since he's pretty much credited as "first" by most.

Greg Koch to me is the best embodiment of pushing the limits in a time where there wasn't some massive appetite for outlandish beer. These days there's a rabid fanbase waiting for the next extreme beer, back then it was crazy to put an American strong ale front and center. Being unapologetic and pushing tastes right on the edge of the mainstream is a huge reason we have what we have today.

Jim Koch because I came of age seeing Sam Adams commercials on TV putting out a message that sounded way more interesting than "find your beach", "wazzzzup" or whatever party nonsense was out there. He was on mainstream television advocating for craft. You'd see all kinds of variety from Sam Adams in stores. You could find mix packs with styles you'd never heard of. Bringing craft to the masses.

Vinnie is the one that was hardest because I think there's a few you can pick for this spot. There's been a handful of brewers who have pushed game changing innovation but he gets my pick because as I understand it, sour beer was barely a thing in the US 20 years ago. He's one of those brewers who made it work and we're all better off for it. He also gets credit for creating one of the single most influential IPAs that helped shift tastes even further down the happy hoppy road.

nc41 and ChicagoJ like this.
  26. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

Which one was already eminent while the other's eminence was merely imminent?

zid likes this.
  27. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

After all these years Pliny is still #14 on the top 250 beers list, there’s a testament to not only the quality, but the staying power of a classic beer when everyone was and is chasing NEIPAS.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  28. DahBadger

DahBadger Apr 15, 2020

I'm going With Jackson, for sure; then,
    Steven Sprecher
    Joe Huber
    Charlie Papazian

29. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Mine is fairly regional, reflecting what I had access to in Chicago back in the day before craft blew up.

John Hall from GI- how many breweries are there now from people who worked at Goose? It's like the beer version of a Bill Walsh coaching tree, if you worked for him, you can start your own successful brewery.

Jim Koch- Sam Adams was the 90s gateway to better beer

Nick Floyd- Three Floyds, Dark Lord Day. Was the hyped place around the time when hype started to mean something. Set the tone for what a beer festival should be and could be and what idiots are willing to pay and do

Larry Bell- Larry Bell, what more do you need to say? Guy took on stupid distributors in the mid 2000's and is still fighting the good fight against idiots.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  30. MrOH

MrOH Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Michael Jackson (pretty much invented beer styles as we currently know them, great evangalist, original beardy guy at the bar sniffing the beer and writing a review)
    Charlie Papazian (homebrewing evangalist, founder of the Great American Beer Festival, American Homebrewers Association, Association of Brewers)
    Jim Koch (you can't deny the reach Sam Adams has had, and how much it popularized the idea that good beer could be made in America to the masses)
    Bert Grant (first one to up the hops!)

ChicagoJ and hopfenunmaltz like this.
  31. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

That would be my fearsome 4some.

32. DollarBila

DollarBila Jan 19, 2008 Michigan
    Society

Arthur Guinness
    Fritz Maytag
    Larry Bell
    Ken Grossman

ChicagoJ likes this.
  33. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

Since I am terrible with remembering names I'm just going to do brands:

Anchor Steam
    Sierra Nevada
    Dogfish Head
    The Alchemist

Stone and New Belgium are tied for a close 5th but those four, to me, were there in the beginning, set a standard, or changed the beer landscape in some way that has rippled throughout the industry.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  34. Judgie

Judgie Nov 21, 2012 Indiana

I almost hate too ask for finding out something that tarnishes the reverence I have for this man, but why the disrespect for Ken Grossman?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  35. jesskidden

Society Trader

Joe - not his son, Fred Huber?

Bitterbill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.