Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Why age Alaskan Smoked Porter vs. other smoked porters?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by elNopalero, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elNopalero

elNopalero Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

I started thinking about smoked porters (mmmm, smoked porters) and smoked beers in general (mmm, smoked beers) and got to wondering: how come I don't think twice about cellaring a bottle of Alaskan Smoked Porter but not Stone's or Ranger Creek's versions? Is it the age/edition printed on the bottle? Conditioning (pun intended)?

Aside from a comment about smoking and oxidation in this thread [http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/smoked-imperial-porters-stouts.24459/#post-299854] I haven't found anything else, really. (And that was in regards to imperial porters.)

Any thoughts?

2. xsouldriverx

xsouldriverx Aug 5, 2006 New York

bc they are all so damn good they dont last.

3. hoparoundnw2337

hoparoundnw2337 Aug 6, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I don't know the technical part of it... But I go back to 2006 with Alaskin Smoked Porter and they drink better each year. A friend of mine has even older ones. No decline with his either...

Bitterbill likes this.
  4. sherm1016

sherm1016 Aug 10, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

My guess: it's been around long enough (ca. 1988) and there have been enough experiments to say with some degree of certainty that it ages well.

Bitterbill likes this.
  5. elNopalero

elNopalero Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

I have no complaints about Alaskan's beer and aging it. But how come I'm not inclined to stick a few of Stone's in the closet cellar and see how those turn out? Cats and dogs living together! It boggles my mind.

6. allouez86

allouez86 Jan 24, 2009 Wisconsin

Had a 2002 Alaskan in the fall and it was awesome. I know that in know way answers your question, just felt the need to share.

landrewg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe