Site Why are there so many events that don't get listed on BA?

Discussion in 'Support & Suggestions' started by leedorham, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leedorham

leedorham Defender (696) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Seems to me that I see a lot of events happening that never get listed on BA. Is it just that people use other resources? I recently listed an event that is sponsored by WABL, so I had kind of expected to see it already on the site, but it wasn't there yet.

So what gives? Apathy? People just use other resources like Facebook?

2. msubulldog25

msubulldog25 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2005 Oregon

Yes & Yes, IMO. BA is a user-driven site, so if content -like events- doesn't get added then, well...

I try to contribute as many events as I can for the my area (Portland), but there are just so many tastings/releases/tap takeovers/mini-fests/etc. Honestly I don't keep up with them all.

Like beer and place reviews, event listings are an important part of the site. Usually, it only takes a minute or two to fill in the info. Keep posting 'em... and I encourage others to do the same.

kemoarps likes this.
  3. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,402) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I'm not sure what, but it has something to do with the site re-design.

In the old days, there were always a ton of things on the calendar & a ton of people saying "I'll be there".

I suspect that during the time there were "dual sites" history of BA, people lost sight of the calendar, & plenty of new people who came on board probably overlooked it completely. After that break in continuity, while it came back, the "Events" has been next to useless. I know that I, personally, used to check it fairly often, but have just about forgotten about it over the past year plus.

Duff27, flexabull, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  4. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

What he said.

5. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,444) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I don't know about everyone else, but I typically look to blogs that are special to my local geographic area to find out about events--for example, kcbeerblog is one I frequent.

It just seems that, for events, geographical proximity is more useful than with things like message boards and beer reviews. The same could probably be said for places, but I have no idea how frequently people review places on here--certainly less frequently than they review beers.

6. Theniz

Theniz Aspirant (245) Nov 13, 2012 Indiana

Good place to look around here is Hoosier Beer Geek, if anybody checking out this thread from Indiana hasn't visited.

7. Coirm

Coirm Initiate (183) Dec 12, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Here in the Midwest we use semaphore from strategically placed stacks of empty Zombie Dust cases to pass information concerning any possibly oversubscribed events. The hard part is finding enough ZD.

8. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,459) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

Lot of people using other sources in general. Also, a lot of people I knew are no longer here at all, for a variety of reasons.

beerwolf and Bung like this.
  9. NWer

NWer Crusader (700) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

I would submit events and sometimes they would get loaded sometimes not so I don't make the effort anymore.

ehammond1 and beertunes like this.
  10. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (229) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Same here - after 2 commercial events failed to load with no notice or explanation, I let Facebook do the heavy lifting now.

11. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,864) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

In addition to some of the things raised above, I'd suggest that some of it is also related to the rise of social media and the "one and done" crowd. Announce on here a special event with multipe kegs/firkins of a varieity of hard to find beers and your regular customers get shut out by the "one and done" beer chasers.

yemenmocha and Bung like this.
  12. chefkevlar

chefkevlar Disciple (335) Apr 17, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Way more people are on FB who might be craft-fans and interested in such events but are not obsessed enough to have a BA account. It'd be redundant to add it to both since you can just start a thread in the appropriate regional forum and post a link to the FB page.

Bung likes this.
  13. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Meyvn (1,246) Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Wait there's beer events on here?

Duff27 and barleywinefiend like this.
  14. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

In addition it seems like a lot of the older users have vanished from this site. So I am guessing they were the ones who would update events and contribute to the site in a lot of ways. Now with a lot of new people and the vets gone, a lot of that knowledge/experience is gone.

15. Brenden

Brenden Poo-Bah (3,501) Feb 25, 2008 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons. Being able to list events is nice, and you can get a lot of people to see it that wouldn't otherwise. The reason I stopped adding tasting events to the "Events" section of BA is because, after it worked fine the first time, I tried posting another and it never showed up. I tried one more time with the next event and, after whoever should have added it failed to, I gave up.

16. Todd

Todd Founder (5,259) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

Lots of theories here, but no real facts. Here are some:
    • We approve hundreds of events every month.
    • Event submissions haven't slowed. They've actually increased.
    • We listed over 7,500 events in 2012. We're on target to list more this year.
    • We don't approve events that: have sloppy formatting, lack information, are not beer related or occur on the day they're submitted.
    • There are a lot more events happening these days. All anyone has to do is take a couple of minutes to submit events that we're missing.
    • Noobs tend to post events in the forums vs. taking the time to drop them into the calendar.
    • While posting this reply another 50 events just got approved that were entered within the last 24 hours.
    That said, people RSVPing to events has slowed since the new forums/layout. We'll be tackling this with the site redesign by introducing some new features that'll make listing, sharing and interacting with events much easier.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe