Why are there so many four packs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by chuckstout, Apr 25, 2020.

1. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,124) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Also most of the same places offer draft for far less. So folks can enjoy their beers on tap for cheaper.

Amendm likes this.
  2. travis224

travis224 Initiate (192) Jul 24, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Fire, Skulls, and Money might be one of the best beers I've tried in a while. Not sure why this one resonated with me so much, but it might be my favorite from TG.

3. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,577) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

If I'm traveling and run across a new and interesting-looking beer, I'll pick up a sixer if possible. I'll drink one or two and give the rest to my friends who are beer aficionados. If it's available only in four packs, someone always gets left out.

If it's available only in stovepipes, bombers, or oil cans, I didn't want it that bad anyway.

4. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,546) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Sure, I'm just talking about retail competition.

officerbill and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  5. zid

zid Meyvn (1,215) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Yeah. And just to clarify, I am not against expensive 4 packs or expensive beer. In my eyes, this trend is mainly about product differentiation in the marketplace and that relationship to pricing. I'm not vilifying it, but just calling it what I think it is.

But "draft for far less?"... Arizona sounds like beer-Bizarro world compared to New York. :wink:

6. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Regarding draft, comparing to the price in house to that of a local beer store. For example I can get a 4 pack of a local beer for 15 bucks, but at the brewery I can get draft for about 12 bucks for same amount. I guess its not a totally accurate example just that if folks want to get a pint at the brewery it at times comes out to cheaper per oz than a can at the local store.

7. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

wait you can get $3 pints regularly at AZ breweries? or am I misunderstanding?

On that subject, the locals I go to offer;
    1. no packaging except growlers/crowlers - 5.50 for imperial pints, 8.50 for crowlers (6.50 on sundays!)
    2. 6 packs of 12 oz bottles usually 8.99, pints for $5 ($4 at happy hour)
    3. 4 packs of 16 oz cans for 13.99, pints for $5

In all those cases the to-go beer is the cheaper option

8. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

I was using one brewery as an example.

Tombstone in house.

Oregon Lots IPA IPA - New England
    16oz Can 4 Pack $12.00

Local store $15.

Pils Pilsner - German

5.4% ABV
    16oz Can 4 Pack $10.00

Store $12.

I was saying that you can get draft in house for cheaper than snagging cans locally. I guess for me its different because I get most at a local shop so I am comparing their price to that of brewery. Above shows the price increase for me,if I go direct vs. store. So I can get draft/cans at brewery cheaper than store by my house. If I take a price per oz. I can obviously get it cheaper at source.

9. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (821) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Not the way it works here.

to go can/bottles are most times the same price as retail and a few places they are more. Reason always given is they don’t want to competed with the distributors that sell most of their beer.

If I am at a brewery and want to grab a six to go I think it should be priced well otherwise I’m saying no, lost sale. If it’s $12 at retail I expect it to be $10. When it’s not I feel you are taking advantage. When I’m out of state beer is priced well at the source vs Retail.

Enjoy

10. Browntown35

Browntown35 Initiate (91) Dec 24, 2016 Minnesota
    Trader

This thread is somewhat frustrating to me.. Even a year ago I feel like people were attempting to thwart the 22oz bomber (for good reason) and asking for a more affordable, shareable option. Most craft brewers adapted to the market and started canning 4pack tall boys. Now the request is 6 packs?
    Personally I prefer the 16oz 4pack format because most of the times I will share a single beer. 16oz is much better to share than a 12oz.
    If I’m drinking a 12oz 6pack it’s probably a macro lager and there is no need to share that.
    Just my drunk opinion

11. zid

zid Meyvn (1,215) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Wait a minute. I'll never understand the entire "I like bigger containers because I like to share" position, but that's the same argument that many used in support of bombers.

officerbill likes this.
  12. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

How about the "I like bigger containers cause I don't want to have to get up so often" argument?:grin:

13. Junior

Junior Crusader (725) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I like the four pack of cans. I wish the big ABV ones came in 8-12 oz versions though. At the same price per oz of course. A local place sells a variety of 12%+ BA stouts for $10 per $16 oz can. It’s very good IMO. I would much rather pay $20-24 for a 4 pack of 8 oz cans.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  14. Giantspace

I actually like the 16oz can size. I do not like the price. There are some 16oz that are great deals. Stone AB is 6x16 and $10-12, great price. Their Go To IPA was 6x16, $10-11. Jacks Abbey was 6x16 for $9.99 in Western MA.

Some 16 is more for 16x4 than 6x12. Won’t buy that. I won’t buy a 4x16 over $12 99% of the time.

The small guys selling 4x16 at $18-24 is not for me. It’s to make as much $ as they can. I get it but won’t buy it. When Heady is $12 how are you double?

Enjoy

15. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (336) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'm torn on the four pack format. If it's four 12 oz beers usually four of said beers is just right and six would have been too much, meaning that by beer #4 I am over it (and no, not in one sitting). If it's four 16 oz beers sometimes one 16 oz in a sitting is just right for me.

Anymore I buy one six pack of a cheaper favorite/a reliable shelf beer and one mix a six of stuff I have never had before or one four pack that I am willing to gamble on. That can last me for a few weeks if I so desire.

16. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,934) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

A large factor:

The same reason a "pound" of coffee is now 14 oz and a "pint" of ice cream is now 14 oz...

A way to increase prices.

IOW, less beer; more money.

The fact that it has been sold as the cool kids package is a bonus.

17. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (653) Mar 28, 2009 California

There are two types of four packs that I see. One is 4 packs for high abv or specialty beers such as ten fidy, backwoods bastard, kbs etc. The 2nd is the 4 pack 16oz format for every beer style.

Personally I prefer the 6 x 12oz format for non high abv/specialty beers. As mentioned comparing them side by side by price you pay slightly more per ounce for the 4 pack. Not a lot but more. My thought is why pay more even if it’s minimal? There is no benefit to me getting 16 ozs per serving or 12, so why pay more no matter what? I do by 4x16 for many beers that are worth it and don’t charge the excessive pricing tags. Still drink modern times regularly and they sell only 4x16 at @10.99-$12.99.

Also, I tend to drink have a couple beers per setting and always prefer 12 ozs. It just seems like a better format for sessions.

For beers like BA ten fidy, kbs etc the four pack is great. Less initial cost, better than a bomber, and I can drink some and age others. It’s perfect for those beers.

But my biggest complaint is the price on 4 pack 16 oz cans, as they seem to be more expensive. Seems like the avg price for 4x16 is $14.99 and many as high as $20. Which seems to come down to trendiness. The highly sought after beers can in 16oz cans so breweries went that way and are charging more for it. Wish I didn’t delete the picture and if I go back I take it again. But at Whole Foods they have a local LA brewery IPA in bottles 6x12 for $12.99. They have the exact same beer in cans 4x16 for $14.99. Maybe they are just bad at marketing but why would anyone pay more?

#57 GetMeAnIPA, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    chrismattlin likes this.
  18. traction

traction Defender (626) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

Not a huge fan but I have pretty much accepted they are the new normal for much craft beer. It isn't the format that bothers me as much as the pricing some breweries think their beer is worth. I don't mind occasionally dropping $25 on a 4-pack but it better be a damn good beer and not just something thrown together at the last minute.

jasonmason and PapaGoose03 like this.
  19. Giantspace

I remember when Sixpoint was only 6x16 cans.

Enjoy

20. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Are there any breweries that sell both 6x12 and 4x16? It seems like a lot of the price comparisons are meaningless since we are comparing different beers and different breweries. Obviously different breweries price their wares differently so its not really accurate to ask "why would I pay $20 for a 4 pack when I can get a 6 pack for $10?" because the answer is that I want the beer that is $20/4 pack and it isn't available in a $10 6 pack

21. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,348) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Roadhouse in Wyoming has both formats.

22. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

What are the prices on both of them? Are the same beers packaged in both?

officerbill and Bitterbill like this.
  23. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,348) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

No. I should have mentioned that.
    It's been a while since I bought any of their beers but I will check the prices the next time I'm at a store.

24. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

25. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,681) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I am aware of breweries that package in both 6x12 and 4X16 but I can't think of any that provide the same brands in both formats.

Later today I will be traveling to Victory Brewing principally to pick up some crowlers but today I will also be purchasing a 6x12 of their new beer brand Classic Lager (10 bucks). Victory packages their Juicy/Hazy IPAs in the 4x16 format (11 bucks) which is much, much more economically priced than the vast majority of the other local breweries in my area. A 4x16 of Juicy/Hazy IPA beers is more like $15+ in my area.

Cheers!

26. JackHorzempa

Society

Yeah, I read that post earlier today. I was thinking about replying to his statement of "Also, let's face it, when does anyone ever just have 12oz of beer?"

I am still thinking about replying and maybe I will later today.

Just between you and me I have 12 ounces of beer a lot (all the time basically).

Cheers!

TongoRad and MNAle like this.
  27. MNAle

Society

We have at least one brewery here in MN (Summit) that uses multiple packages for some of their beer brands (that is, same brand, multiple packages): 12 oz bottles, 12 oz cans, and 16 oz cans. The 16 oz is only in 4 packs. The 12 oz bottles and cans are in both 6 packs and 12 packs (not always both), and 12 oz cans sometimes in 24 packs.

Which is the better value (comparing only the 4 packs to the 6 packs) also depends on the brand.

The "flagships" (EPA, Sága) tend to be less expensive per oz in the 4 packs, while the "premium" brands (e.g. Slugfest) are less expensive per oz in the 6 packs.

Maybe their marketing director drinks on the job! :stuck_out_tongue::grin:

I think there may be one or two others who also use both 16 oz and 12 oz packages for the same beer.

28. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, he does work for a Brewing Company so...?:thinking_face:

Cheers!

officerbill and MNAle like this.
  29. MNAle

Society

Here's another (you may have heard of them... there was a time when their whole marketing strategy was built around 16 oz cans... apparently, not anymore...)

https://surlybrewing.com/beer/xtra-citra/

30. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (515) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

As long as it's 4X16 I'm golden but I will forgo for a 6X12 of similar quality. Price point depends on demand & hype. Quality trumps all.

31. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (186) Nov 5, 2019 Canada

Not a fan of four packs and fortunately the only time I really encounter them is with a few American imports into Ontario, most recently with Death By Coconut and Maduro Brown Ale. I like the system at the LCBO, where the overwhelming majority of Ontario craft can be bought in any number. They put them on the shelves and you can buy 1, 19, 67 or whatever.

32. JackHorzempa

Society

Because in the recent past they thought: "Also, let's face it, when does anyone ever just have 12oz of beer?"?:rolling_eyes:

Cheers!

MNAle likes this.
  33. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,824) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Imports have a great price if we're talking Kostritzer, Radeberger, etc. Like 6 bucks for a 4 pack. And hell yeah, 500ml is the perfect size.

I also love the Jack's Abby 16oz sixers if you're in their distro area, like 9 to 10 bucks.

34. MNAle

Society

I noticed he also said:

" There is something to the Brits and their whole proper pint thing. People prefer a whole beer."

If you do reply to Mr. Cruz on that, post, you might also point out to him that a British proper pint is 20 oz so his notion of a "whole beer" being 16 oz is still short by 4 oz. (Mixing and matching US and Imperial units, I know...)

35. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (233) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

OG Ruination was in 4 packs.

TongoRad likes this.
  36. Ronmarley1

Trader

I may be wrong, but they released original Ruination in six packs before the updated/ruined it. Pen intended...

37. Ronmarley1

Trader

FWIW, two of my favorites moved from four packs to six packs, with only a marginal price increase. Fat Head’s Headhunter and more recently, Columbus Brewing Bodhi (when they went from cans to bottles).

JackHorzempa likes this.
  38. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,828) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I'm pretty sure that Bell's has Two Hearted (and maybe Oberon too) in 6x12 and 4x16 cans, plus 12 oz bottles. Don't ask me the price of each though because I just grab the sixer of bottles when I want that beer and don't even look at the others. (My store carries each size, but that's another topic.)

39. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,082) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

If I’m buying 4 16oz cans from a brewer for $15-20, I prefer 4 different single beers but few breweries sell singles (unless it’s like a 12% pastry stout or something). I’m good with same beer in 4 packs or 6 packs in the $9-$12 range. I’m good with 12 pack varieties in the $17-22 range of the quality is good and it’s a variety of styles (i.e. not 4 different IPAs or sours etc).

40. DCH

DCH Aspirant (251) Jun 12, 2013 New York

I remember when the 4-pack format started becoming a thing, some breweries converted their 6-packs of currently offered beers into 4-packs, for the exact same price. I distinctly remember storm king stout doing this, even remember seeing the distro guy selling the beer in the 6-pack holder with two beers missing, I had to do a double take. Then I started seeing more of the same from other breweries, mostly with their imperial stout/ipa offerings. I get moving over to the 4-pack for a new beer, but when it’s something you’ve traditionally sold in a 6-pack and then turn around charge your customers the same price for two less beers, it’s kind of ridiculous.