Why are Wheat Beers widely considered to be "Girly?"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Das_Reh, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy Initiate (137) Jun 1, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

I think Blue Moon is responsible for this perception. It's the fruit garnish I'm guessing.

SLewis, GuitarIPA and FaradayUncaged like this.
  2. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Defender (651) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Wheat is from Venus, Barley is from Mars.

I think I've subconsciously felt this stigma(?) for a while. I never really used to order wheat beers, maybe partly due to this? Since I've actually tried some, particularly the German versions, I'm too caught up in how good the beer tastes to be worried about such things. I'm also starting to advance into middle age, and I care less about other people's opinions in general.

3. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Girly compared to what?

utopiajane likes this.
  4. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (922) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

As someone who drinks Imperial IPAs and Stouts frequently,
    I have to say I also enjoy a well made Witbier, Tripel, Hefeweizen, Pale Wheat Ale, and Gose.

I think a better question is, when someone assigns gender to a beer style:

Do you:
    1. Laugh, thinking its some sort of a joke
    2. Look at them oddly like they just arrived from another planet
    3. Or try to be sympathetic, for them being so embarrassingly misinformed

:slight_smile:

#44 johnInLA, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    Rhymkeeper and Hopgoddess312 like this.
  5. spacecake9

spacecake9 Meyvn (1,068) Apr 26, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Corona is a girly beer. Witbier, Tripel, Hefeweizen, Pale Wheat Ale and Gose are manly beers. All beers are manly beers - except Corona. Very girly beer.

GuitarIPA likes this.
  6. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,888) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Society

I agree with this. There's been enough "Profiling" in this day and age. While I've never witnessed this stigma of "Girly" beers, I have seen a lot of Bahama Mamas being consumed by my sister.

*Shakes his Head and goes back into his Cave*

Hopgoddess312 and utopiajane like this.
  7. Patches826

Patches826 Savant (961) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts

I feel like this stigma exists mainly amongst BMC drinkers. They see Blue Moon and Shock Top as unnecessarily sweetened versions of what they drink.

Then again, there are plenty of new-age hopheads who view any style that isn't hop-forward as beneath them. My personal favorite are the ones who shit on anything with fruit in it, when they themselves clamor over juice bomb IPAs.

AlcahueteJ and chrisjws like this.
  8. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (794) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

anytime I'm trying to introduce women to craft beer I ask if they like chocolate, coffee, vanilla and bourbon...

VABA, dcotom and Kuaff like this.
  9. MaltMilkshake

MaltMilkshake Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2011 California

Just like sours.

10. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,459) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Not for nothing...take a plane to Germany, go into the first Biergarten you see and make a statement like that.

I'd love to know how that turns out.

11. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,473) Dec 2, 2009 New York

because lots of people are stupid.

Kuaff, Shroud0fdoom and guinness77 like this.
  12. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Disciple (331) Dec 22, 2012 Colorado

Ridiculous. Everyone knows the only truly effeminate style is pumpkin ale :wink:

utopiajane and doowhat like this.
  13. TurkeyFeathers

TurkeyFeathers Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 New York
    Deactivated

I used to like them until I had complete mood swings, messed up my menstrul cycle , grew boobs, had the urge to go shopping and thought Brad Pitt was hot. I've stopped drinking them and all is back to normal. Enjoying my stouts , IPA and BW's from now on :astonished:

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  14. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (642) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

try a weizenbock, shit will change your life

utopiajane likes this.
  15. vader06

vader06 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2011 Michigan

I will admit I love Wheat beers but if it wasn't from drinking that style of beer I would have not tried the more hoppier beers that I have grown to love.

#55 vader06, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  16. Tsar_Riga

Tsar_Riga Poo-Bah (2,561) Sep 9, 2013 Indiana
    Society

Girly beer? Stigma?

If someone wants to call a beer girly, that's their choice, and if they view that as negative, that's their problem. If you consider a beer being called girly a stigma, that's your problem.

Drink what you like, and ignore the idiots who think there is something sex-specific about it.

Shroud0fdoom, ianskate and drtth like this.
  17. BKBassist

BKBassist Disciple (390) Jan 24, 2013 New York

I don't like to stereotype, and I know lots of women who are super beer knowledgeable and enjoy a wide array of styles, but it does seem that the entry point for craft for many females in the northeast is Allagash White.

18. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2012 California

Historically Barleywines are "girly".....Because women would drink them and talk at night while men would drink low abv beers and work during the day.

19. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

This is news to me.

20. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Defender (663) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

This combined with the marketing hoopla that Bud Light/Budweiser are, by comparison, 'manly' beers.

I'll have an Ayinger please!

21. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Aspirant (271) Mar 21, 2015 New York

drink all those w exception of witbier, just don't like the finish but I never thought those who do like 'em are girly or not manly......on the flip side don't know many women who drink those styles religiously.

22. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,765) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

And this is predicated by a preposition because...? Allagash White truly is a "girly beer?"

Sorry -- I'm putting words in your mouth because it sounded weird for you to use the preposition, but Belgian Wit is just another beer style, good in its own right when done well, which Allagash is, and can not be categorized in any sort of gender distinction -- positive or negative.

I once took my wife a few blocks out of our way in Chicago because I heard a spot nearby (to me, anyway) had Allagash Wit on tap. She rolled her eyes at me. :wink:

utopiajane likes this.
  23. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,280) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

News to me. There have been several BAs who have started posts recently concerning people questioning the OPs masculinity over their beer choices...all from the same few states.:astonished:

utopiajane and ianskate like this.
  24. Gemmell

Gemmell Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2014 Illinois

I feel like you made this up because you couldn't come up with a better idea for a thread. I have never heard any style of beer to be "girly". Even fruit beers and vegetable beers are widely consumed by all genders openly. I love myself a good raspberry sour (delicious). A buddy of mine who would consider himself a man's man, drinks only wheat beers and Coors Light. But to bring some type of answer to your un-researched question; a lot of woman find hops and bitters to be aggressive in beers, but so do a lot of men. Once your palate adjusts and grows accustom to those flavors, you become an IPA fiend.

DaverCS and utopiajane like this.
  25. didgeboy

didgeboy Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2006 Washington

I know about 5,000 US Army Tankers, Infantry and Cav Scouts that would be willing to show anyone that drinking wheat beer (Weisse) is the epitome of bad ass. Cold War warriors survived on Hefe Weisse up until GW1. It aint girly. The bubble gum faux "wheat beers" that American brewers are slinging, maybe, but not true wheat beers. As an example some of my favorites; Hoegaarden, Maisle's, Schniderweisse. I'll just leave this here. . . .cheers.

D-HopSupreme and steveh like this.
  26. Kuaff

Kuaff Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2013 Alaska

Really? Curious. How do you come to know this (source, etc.)?

27. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,765) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Wait -- what happened after GW1? Did that bastard forbid Hefeweizen to the troops? :grinning::stuck_out_tongue: (kidding)
    Tell us your source for the stigma you reference in the OP. I don't doubt that the misconception is out there, but it's just ignorance at best.

28. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Aspirant (281) Sep 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

I think you are mistaken.

29. mstrcrwly

mstrcrwly Aspirant (228) Dec 21, 2013 New York
    Trader

Just drink whatever you want and don't worry about it...Girly Maaan..as Hanz & Franz from SNL would say..

ianskate and Kuaff like this.
  30. Kuaff

I'm always a little confused by the term "man's man."

Pantalones and Gemmell like this.
  31. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2012 California

honestly I can't remember off the top of my head though I came across it while studying beer history for the certified cicerone test. I'll check my notes and reply to you some time later but I believe it was from the book IPA:brewing techniques which has very in depth history on brewing in England and the rise of the ipa.

Kuaff likes this.
  32. BeerRebelMotorcycleClub

BeerRebelMotorcycleClub Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

So that's why bartenders have been giving me a raised eyebrow followed by a "You sure?" all these years after ordering a wheat beer. I never knew.

dcotom likes this.
  33. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Don't forget to stick a pinky finger out.

yemenmocha likes this.
  34. BKBassist

BKBassist Disciple (390) Jan 24, 2013 New York

Merely an observation as a bartender. A fairly sizable portion of my female customers will ask for Allagash White before even looking at the menu. More on average then men. Not to say the style is a "girly beer", I don't think that exists, but I've seen it in action. I have lots of older blue collar type guys come up an ask for a Bud Light (which I don't have), but I'd not categorize that as a "manly" beer in any way.

steveh likes this.
  35. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,902) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

To be fair, I have heard of this (although it's been awhile). From BMC drinkers when I was more of a regular bar goer years and years ago. Comes from most of them (like Blue Moon or Oberon ) being served with a slice of fruit. Fruity drinks = girly at the bar, or at least at the dives I'd go to.
    Does no one remember the "Girl Drink Drunk" sketch from Kids in the Hall?

36. Kuaff

Ah, interesting. Thanks!

37. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,085) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Beer, masculinity, and femininity are things I've never correlated. A wheat beer in the morning does wonders for the spirit and rings back to genetic roots.

Kuaff likes this.
  38. dank203

dank203 Zealot (502) May 21, 2012 New Jersey

I believe this stigma only applies to beers like hell or high watermelon
    in fact, fruit infused beers in general fit this stereotype more than just wheat beers

39. Jirin

Jirin Aspirant (227) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

I've noticed that among craft beers wheat beers with fruit flavors tend to be more accessible to non-craft drinking women than other beers. I'm not sure the stigma for men drinking wheat beers is there anymore unless maybe it's very citrus forward. At least not other than the stigma among craft drinkers for drinking lower ABV beers.

40. punksinkhakis

punksinkhakis Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2015 Colorado

I mean, masculinity is fragile, socially constructed nonsense anyway, so...

Pantalones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.