Why can’t we have Cultivator anymore, Troegs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by guinness77, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis3951

dennis3951 (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

There used to be a lot of clamoring for Glissade in these forums but after long enough time it stopped I stopped when I could get Cultivator maybe I will start again.

YamBag, tzieser and drtth like this.
  2. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Always heard great things about Cultivator. I'm lucky enough to have some amazing lager breweries around here, but I'd still just love the opportunity to taste it once.

Someday...

3. steveh

steveh (1,228) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

A question on the Cultivator: why did they give it a Doppelbock name (-ator), but call it a Helles Bock? I should probably e-mail the marketing department. :wink:

keithmurray and AlcahueteJ like this.
  4. zid

zid (829) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

‘cause it’s both.

5. steveh

Society

thesherrybomber, AlcahueteJ and zid like this.
  6. ShanePB

ShanePB (0) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society

I miss this beer too, but unfortunately there aren't enough of us clamoring for it.

7. zid

zid (829) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Ahonky and tzieser like this.
  8. BKBassist

BKBassist (0) Jan 24, 2013 New York

I love Maibocks/Helles bocks and always got Cultivator for my bar when it came around. But whoever said Bock is a death sentence for selling a beer is correct. My trick? Put them on the board as "German/German-style spring lager" and they move like hotcakes!

9. ktr5010

ktr5010 (0) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Probably because it's not profitable enough any more and the market isn't supporting it / that style any longer.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  10. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ (916) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

11. pbrian

pbrian (894) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

Take your common sense elsewhere.

AlcahueteJ and ktr5010 like this.
  12. Ahonky

Ahonky (0) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Getting one. Thanks

AlcahueteJ and Jacobier10 like this.
  13. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger (1,086) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yup, I went shopping today and I asked the guys working if they had any Maibocks or Bocks in for the spring season. There was not one to be found unless you count Shiner Bock.

14. micada

micada (949) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Depends, too, on the distributor. It doesn’t matter what a brewery does if the distributor won’t put any on a truck because they believe the volume doesn’t yield ROI.

15. AlcahueteJ

Society

Agreed.

I "bock" at this nonsense.

pbrian and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  16. steveh

Society

Not at all -- a Doppel Weizenbock, no less. :slight_smile:

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  17. steveh

Society

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  18. tzieser

tzieser (0) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Do you get Von Trapp in PA? Not sure if you've tried it yet but their Bock Bier seasonal is really excellent and should be out soon, if not already. It is a great Traditional Bock (aka single bock), probably my favorite of the style for an American brewery or at least on par with that terrific Traditional Bock that was brewed in the SA Long Shot competition a long time ago (2007? @JackHorzempa can refresh my memory here).

I got some Genesee Bock again this year. It'll always have a place in my fridge for nostalgia reasons (Grandpa used to tell me stories of Shaefer Bock beer and how he looked forward to it every year around Easter...I like to think Genesee Bock would be slightly similar in flavor...even if it probably isn't lol) and because it's delicious and because it's cheap.

This just got me thinking about the "American Bock" style (Shiner, the old Yuengling Bock, Ballantine Bock, etc) and how it probably deserves it's very own thread. I tried searching for some good articles on the style (or sub-style) and have come up mostly empty.

19. FatBoyGotSwagger

Society

I hope they get the Von Trapp bock. I bought out every Von Trapp beer they had over the last few months and none remain on the shelf :wink: . Which kind of has me worried..

Apparently whoever sells Genny in the area isn't shipping out the bock this year. Edit, I know the Genny bock is good because I drank 5 cases last year, true story.

I've been spoiled by way too many great bocks in the past to sink to drinking Yuengling/Shiner not saying they are bad but I'm looking for something better.

TongoRad and tzieser like this.
  20. tzieser

tzieser (0) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Not to worry about not drinking any Yuengling Bock, I'm pretty sure they discontinued it several years back....feel free to correct me here :sweat_smile:

21. FatBoyGotSwagger

Society

They did, I was not a fan and that's putting it nicely.

tzieser likes this.
  22. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa (964) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I have never consumed the Von Trapp Bock so I have no input here from a comparison perspective. The Longshot Bock beer was excellent IMO.
    There was an excellent article written by Chris Colby in BYO on this topic but I think you need to subscribe to BYO to read it.

Cheers!

tzieser likes this.
  23. jeebeel

jeebeel (443) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

And, to make all matters bockbier worse, the first beer on that list is also mislabeled. Always has been.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  24. AlcahueteJ

Society

I think it was 2009? I think it was in that mix pack along with the Pliny the Elder double IPA clone.

I'm not even going to look and assume it's Dead Guy.

25. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle (0) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

Tell us... What is the distinct difference between a Heller Bock and a Pale Doppelbock?

According to the World Beer Cup pale Doppelbocks don't exist. But Brauhaus Riegele clearly makes one.

According to BJCP the difference is a Maibock goes from 6.3-7.4. Doppelbocks are 7+.
    The only difference that I see is the Maibock has a moderate strong malt flavor while the Doppelbock has a strong malt flavor and the Maibock is allowed a noticeable hop flavor but it's not required...

So how do I distinctly tell whether a beer has a strong or moderate strong malt flavor?

I will say the World Beer Cup style guideline allows Heller Bock's to be a higher ABV than they have for Doppelbocks.

Specifically when I had Andygator I would in no way call it a Doppelbock. It seemed to me to be a straight up Heller Bock. It did not seem to taste strong enough to be called a Doppelbock. I think that breweries call beers Doppelbocks when they're more traditional Bock's because they sell better because people associate Doppelbock with higher abv.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  26. Ahonky

Ahonky (0) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Distinct differences between similar "styles" don't really exist, since beers were not designed to fit into categories. They were brewed with available resources. People place them them in style buckets because it fills their diapers with warmth and comfort.

dennis3951 likes this.
  27. AlcahueteJ

Society

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  28. keithmurray

keithmurray (991) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

That's a definite disgrace...

29. drh88

drh88 (529) Dec 21, 2005 Pennsylvania

Drove up to Troegs today and picked up a case. $37.49. Tastes great, as it always has.

30. bigdeuce

bigdeuce (554) May 24, 2005 Pennsylvania

I’ll buy 6 cases of Cultivator if Troegs cans/bottles it this winter, right away! It’s my favorite beer. It is a true German Maibock and I wish more brewers would make the style a staple. I like Dead Guy but it’s a bit too hoppy for me.

oneraindog and guinness77 like this.
  31. bigdeuce

bigdeuce (554) May 24, 2005 Pennsylvania

Rogue is the only brewery I can find in Western PA that brews year round Maibock.

32. steveh

Society

Any Trader Joes nearby? They have a year-round Heller Bock brewed for them by Gordon Biersch that's pretty good to-style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.