Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Why does Pizza Port lose so many brewers?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by sandiego67, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandiego67

sandiego67 Feb 25, 2008 California

I love the place and go to many of their events and outings but I wonder if they are tough to work for?

They have lost more brewing talent over the years than most breweries see in a lifetime.

Success breeds success so I am guessing that the brewers are highly sought after by competitors.

2. besaunders

besaunders Nov 8, 2007 California

I think a lot of people learn the ropes at the various Pizza Ports, but it probably is unfair to say this is a unique problem - there is a lot of fluidity across most of the breweries.

3. heresy22

heresy22 Apr 9, 2007 California
    Subscriber

It is probably that. They learn a lot, have some success, and someone else comes calling with a better deal.

4. SaigonDaze

SaigonDaze Dec 24, 2012 California

When you get offered more $$ and ownership interest, that sounds like a good reason to move on.

5. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

They're the minor leagues of beer. Yeah, they crank out a great product and the quality is there. But without proper distribution, they probably can't pay all that much. Like others have said - when the big leagues come calling, then you go out and take those deals.

6. tyrsis

tyrsis Mar 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Big leagues? Saint Archer ain't the big leagues. They probably have the capital (now) to pay Yiga, but that brewery isn't going to do much of anything in SD.

They already have a bad rep with a lot of people.

7. besaunders

You have seem to have some misconceptions. There are Pizza Port restaurant/brewpubs (of which there are 4, soon to be 5), and there is Port Brewing. The brewpubs make enough beer for their own places, distribution to other Pizza Ports (guest taps), and a few select bars in town (e.g. Toronado). They do not bottle their beer. It isn't about distribution. They aren't competing. Port Brewing spits out some of the more popular Pizza Port beers that have been developed over the years, but as far as I know they don't really have a head brewer associated with them (I suspect it is a combination of Tomme and the brewer that developed the beer - if they are still on good terms with Pizza Port).

The main point is that Pizza Port isn't *trying* to compete. I doubt Vince tries to keep people on by giving them raises (and why should he - his business model has worked over time). Pizza Port and a brewing company are different entities, and it is not a big league / little league thing. Your main point is true, though - there probably is a ceiling associated with working at Pizza Port. More freedom, but less money.

8. besaunders

My bet is that they hired Yiga and fired Ray, but we won't read that anywhere. But if they let Yiga develop some interesting stuff, they have my ear for now.

9. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Aug 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

wait, ray isn't at saint archer anymore?

10. besaunders

Guess you aren't keeping up with Brandon H's brewing gossip column,Pinkie. On Friday, he broke a story about Ray leaving St. Archer. Yesterday, he broke a story about Yiga being hired by St. Archer.

I don't believe it happened in that order.

11. rrryanc

rrryanc May 19, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

I think you missed his whole metaphor, as the final point (a ceiling existing) is the entire point of the minor league comparison. It wasn't comparing distributions, it was that if where you're working doesn't distribute that you have a limit to your exposure and "success."

In baseball, minor leagues do "compete," but are at their core basically feeder organizations for the big league clubs. While you might have a great time playing low-stress baseball on the Sacramento River Cats, you're not going to make it to country-wide fame or success sticking with them. Similarly, Pizza Port does "compete" with other brewing operations (hence the many medals from GABF), but they're not a place where you're going to make a widely distributed and well-known product either, and probably have a very limited earning potential (I'd assume that head-brewer at a place like St. Archer would get an equity stake. If they're not, then I think they're doing it wrong).

12. pinkgrenade

Beer Trader

i dont have facebook and hate checking my twitter. i miss everything. that makes me happy for him kinda

13. tyrsis

tyrsis Mar 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

You sure like checking Instagram though

beerdweeb likes this.
  14. pinkgrenade

Beer Trader

the only thing i like checking! :)

beerdweeb likes this.
  15. sandiego67

Went to the soft opening of Pizza Port Bressi Ranch tonight. It was packed as expected. They aren't missing a beat.

16. usofar

usofar Dec 23, 2010 California

Any mention on when they are going to start canning?

17. Thirsty_Rob

Thirsty_Rob Oct 7, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

You know, I'm not sure, but I like how you know the difference between lose and loose. Cheers!

18. olibeer22

olibeer22 May 2, 2007 California

I heard the canning line should be up and running by the end of summer.

Thirsty_Rob likes this.
  19. SaigonDaze

SaigonDaze Dec 24, 2012 California

Yes, the free beers were great! Place is going to kill it.

20. sandiego67

I missed the free beer. They kept asking me for cash.

21. besaunders

Maybe they didn't like this thread you started. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe