Why having a strong, Belgian beer might be a form of self-care

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,632) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

https://www.kenoshanews.com/lifesty...cle_5cf2f7b2-8e7d-5b56-be53-b0681a95a356.html

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (13,096) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I'm not so sure that Hoegaarden qualifies as a "strong" Belgian beer. I also think the author meant Westmalle, and not Westalle.

o29, BigIronH, sharpski and 1 other person like this.
  3. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,759) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Goodness me. I have never waited for a scientist to come to this conclusion. :wink:

A single Belgian beer and a tripel in particular is my heaven. It’s also good for the soul.

VABA, arizcards, TinFang and 14 others like this.
  4. Todd

Todd Founder (6,632) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Maybe he's talking about Hoegaarden Grand Cru.

5. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,759) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

If we’re going to be pedantic or precise, I don’t think “Westalle” is a Belgian beer either.

6. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

I've always felt that English cask-conditioned ale was probably a bit good for you as well. There's not a lot of yeast left but there's some.

BigIronH, dcotom, ChicagoJ and 3 others like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,429) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

With emphasis in bold by me:

“If you enjoy a nice, cold beer after a long day, you might actually be practicing self-care — if you pick a strong, Belgian one, that is. Those beers have "very healthy" gut-friendly bacteria, a scientist said.”

And then the listed examples:

“He explained that strong Belgian beers like Hoegaarden, Westalle Tripel and others are rich in probiotic microbes — bacteria and yeast….

Firstly there is a typo in the above: Westalle should be Westmalle.

I am uncertain whether this is an instance of poor journalism or something else but Belgian Ales like Hoegaarden and Westmalle Tripel are fermented using yeast; no bacteria is added for fermentation.

Is the live yeast that is contained in a bottle conditioned beer (e.g., Westmalle Tripel) considered to be a probiotic?

One source from the internet ‘says’ no here:

“In general, brewer’s yeast is not considered to be a probiotic.”

https://nutribites.blog/2019/12/16/evaluating-the-probiotic-capacity-of-beer/

Cheers!

Treyliff, SFACRKnight, o29 and 5 others like this.
  8. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

I read the whole article and I think that Todd pulled out the most important parts. I think there's some misinformation in there though. While it is true that the secondary fermentation will increase the alcohol content, it's really not that much. I'm also not sure if it's true that an additional yeast is being added, and on top of that I'd question why an additional yeast would produce different acids.

BigIronH, Beersnake1 and Shanex like this.
  9. JackHorzempa

Society

Jim, I think it is fair to say there are several things amiss in that article.

Cheers!

10. readyski

readyski Zealot (587) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Society Trader

The researchers concluded that "probiotics should not be universally given as a 'one-size-fits-all' supplement. Instead, they could be tailored to the needs of each individual."

So my takeaway

Who is better to decide what 'supplement' is best for an individual than that individual

BigIronH and Shanex like this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,426) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I know (don't ask me how):

A: The individual's gut.

12. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,373) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Instinctual. :grin:

13. readyski

Society Trader

So is it you and your gut or you and your brain?

14. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (344) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Is this referring to bottle conditioning? If so, wouldn't sierra nevada qualify?

15. Resistance88

Resistance88 Disciple (354) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Imperial Stouts also have health benefits

BrewsOverHoes and Urk1127 like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

Society

Yes, SNPA would qualify if you think that brewer's yeast is indeed a probiotic.

Cheers!

b9d9 and startingatBeer-30 like this.
  17. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,237) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

The article was written by someone from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and it quotes Eric Claasen directly plus some quotes attributed to the Telegraph and the Independent despite no previous mention of that reporting. Were those quotes also things Eric Claasen said? It’s not clear.

The claim in the headline may be true, but the article was too disjointed and had too many half-truths to be a convincing argument backing that up.

BigIronH, ChicagoJ and jesskidden like this.
  18. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,391) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Kambucha, Wiild fermented ciders and wild or mixed culture ales etc just have to be good for the gut with all that funky stuff going on. That’s my theory and that murky sediment yeast at the bottom is like making sure to eat the skin on an apple. I’ve have no science at all behind any of this but just figure it have more positives than negatives to health if consumed occasionally and in moderation.

beerluvr likes this.
  19. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,251) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

...that explains the Alesong 'Koffie' I had earlier today...purely for medicinal purposes...:sunglasses:

sharpski and BigIronH like this.
  20. Resistance88

Resistance88 Disciple (354) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Same goes for non adjuncted Imperial Stouts and porters yall. Only one though. In excess you are just a good ol BA!!!!

21. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,343) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I generally find that beer is not friendly to
    my digestive tract which has been a harsh reality as I’ve gotten older.

Not sure if it’s a gluten thing or what (but i eat plenty of bread without issue).

Regardless, it sucks and my experience has thus been far from that endorsed in the (poorly written) article.

Thank god for whiskey and red wine.

dcotom and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  22. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,399) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

Same. Just two beers will give me gas, three or four or more and I'll be on the toilet for half the next day. I thought it might be gluten allergy too but I can have all the bread or pasta I want and as long as I'm not also drinking alcohol I won't have any issues.
    Although what's also interesting is that my issues with it intensify or subside at seemingly random intervals. There was a time a couple of years ago where I almost had to quit drinking because by even two or three beers I would wake up in the middle of the night with gas, gut pain, and diarrhea for the entire rest of the night and morning. I was forced to choose between any amount of beer, or sleep.

23. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,343) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Sounds like you never found out what caused it? I was thinking it was a yeast thing, for me it tends to be more of an issue with ale styles than more clean german lagers for example which may be consistent with certain types of yeast. I don’t know but it sucks and is annoying.

24. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,138) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

When is the beer media industry going to catch up and realize they need to post their articles here first to be proofed by the community before actually publishing them.

sharpski, VABA, PapaGoose03 and 3 others like this.
  25. JackHorzempa

Society

At a minimum they should at least catch the typo(s).

Just don't be like Poppie:

[​IMG]

Cheers.

PapaGoose03 and donspublic like this.
  26. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,994) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Drinking enough beers will surely release bowels.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  27. Urk1127

Society Trader

One time I drank so much kombucha (well 2 pints a day for a week) i got minor pancreas flare ups went to the doc for spasms and pain and shit myself for literally a week. Stay away.

28. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,391) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Maybe it was the 2 pints a day every day was more the issue than kambucha in general? I honestly haven’t done much reading about it so I don’t know much about it. I’ve been drinking maybe a small 8oz glass just 1-2 times a week at best. Non alcoholic version as well.

sharpski and Urk1127 like this.
  29. Urk1127

Society Trader

It's still tbd if I have crohns but it was told kombucha helps if u drink it daily. It did not lol.

30. readyski

Society Trader

Sometimes (well most of the time) a little is good but a lot is bad.

sharpski and Squire like this.
  31. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,237) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

I am neither a doctor nor someone with Crohn’s experience, but I think 32oz a day 7 days a week is where you went wrong and messed with your natural gut microflora. Smaller doses may produce more positive results.

readyski and Urk1127 like this.