1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Why so anti USPS?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by blackcloud, Jan 8, 2013.

1. blackcloud

blackcloud Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Just a typical noob question, but I've had fine luck shipping multiple times with USPS, just wondering why most people are so against it? Is it from actual bad experiences, or just stigma?
  2. tewaris

tewaris Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

It's a federal offense shipping alcohol via USPS.
  3. LambicKing

LambicKing Apr 13, 2011 Germany

Not to mention it's a taxpayer $$$ black hole.
    TWStandley and evilcatfish like this.
  4. evilcatfish

evilcatfish May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

5. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Apr 14, 2009 Virginia

I've had people send me USPS boxes, but generally it is believed that there is a higher risk of intercepted and destroyed boxes with USPS.
    TWStandley likes this.
  6. JohnfromPurdue

JohnfromPurdue Apr 27, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

It's a federal offense shipping with any provider. People are just under the assumption that since USPS is tied to the government they would be more likely to prosecute. I have never heard of anyone getting in legal trouble from using any carrier, USPS included.
  7. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Shipping yeast samples is illegal?
    TWStandley and davey101 like this.
  8. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Apr 14, 2009 Virginia

It is when they open it and see what is really inside.
  9. FEUO

FEUO Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

What gives them the inclination or right to open a box? (Unless something is already leaking)
  10. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Some OG BAs used to use USPS for their pioneering of the beer trade movement. Then the Feds caught on and they got sent up the river after getting caught. Now the only homebrewing they do is prison wine. Learn from their mistakes.
  11. cbeer88

cbeer88 Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Yes, you're breaking laws no matter who you use in terms of shipping/receiving alcohol, crossing state lines, and all that jazz. However, that is a fairly indirect issue no matter whether you use USPS or Fedex/UPS.

However, you're breaking one more very direct law with USPS though, i.e. no shipping alcohol with the postal service. With Fedex/UPS, the physical act of shipping alcohol with them is not illegal, simply against policy.

That said, in previous discussions on this subject, there have been some good points about requiring warrants to open boxes sent via USPS. So in the end it probably doesn't matter from a legal standpoint.

All of that said and out of the way, packages seem to routinely take a beating from USPS at a level I've never seen from either Fedex or UPS. That alone is good enough reason to avoid the postal service.
  12. JulianB

JulianB Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

One of my hobbies besides craft beer is rock climbing. I bought a hangboard (a training apparatus, for those here not into rock and gym climbing) from a guy online, and USPS snapped it in half in transit. This was something like 30lbs of molded polyurethane, the same material used to make skateboard wheels among other things. It's considered practically indestructible, and yet they managed to literally break the thing in half. When I showed the pictures to some climbing friends, one semi-seriously asked if they ran over it with a truck. That's why I won't ship any hard goods (i.e. anything that could be broken) via USPS.
    Hoppenheimer likes this.
  13. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

Come on I am friends with Cliffs daughter and he was my commencement speaker...but I see your point. ;)
  14. forgetfu

forgetfu Jul 27, 2007 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Why no USPS? All legal issues aside as they've been discussed at length above, here are 2 other recent examples of why i won't use them any more than I have to.

• Last week, i accidentally underdeclared a USPS package by 2lbs. (I wrote 16.5 lbs, it was 18.5 lbs). This was a legit typo and not me trying to save a couple bucks. 3 days later, the package had never even scanned in for acceptance at the local post office. I had no idea what was wrong, but i wasn't happy as there was a *very* rare bottle in that box.
      Then some time before 8am on Saturday, it was left at my door with a note telling me i had to come in to pay them more if i wanted to ship it. Fedex or UPS will just charge me for the difference but would never return the package after sitting on it for days. I'm lucky i noticed the box in the morning...i wasn't expecting anything, and it was cold enough for lambic to freeze.
    • USPS tracking sucks. Regularly, packages are delivered before they even show that they are in the country. Another box i sent last week never even received an acceptance scan at the post office. Nothing. Then 4 days later, it scanned for the first time in San Francisco.
    Essentially, their systems are antiquated and give you no accurate visibility or control.

EDIT: And then there is the potential for *massive* delays. USPS just sat on 2 of my boxes for almost 2 weeks each during the holidays because it wasn't sent express (only priority) and their system is backed up.
  15. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Feb 24, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

This could easily happen with any carrier. There's horror stories with all of them. At the end of the day, choose the one that's been working for you.
  16. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Actually, I always USPS for overseas stuff, cheaper and relatively quick. UPS lately for domestic only because FEDEX in my region has gotten quite snoopy and openned boxes and returned them because of the dreaded alchohol violation on more than one occasion.
  17. Duffman929

Duffman929 Nov 27, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Searched for "Dick Move". Had hours of lulz. Highly recommend!

P.S. Searching for the same thing on the internet will get you a whole different set of results.....
  18. Duffman929

Duffman929 Nov 27, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Internet beer warriors are the best. I don't even drink Pliny any more. It is old even when it is fresh. I just end up putting various Amarillo, Centennial, CTZ, and Simcoe hops in my mouth....with ground up malt balls....and swish it around with some water to get max freshness.
  19. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Other than USPS being the worst courier on earth I dont think it really matters if you use it over FedEx/UPS. People use it for international trades. Everyone gets their Euro webshop orders via USPS. What's the difference?
  20. KevSal

KevSal Oct 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

ive sent over 200 boxes or possible more through usps (many of you can probably vouch for this) with little trouble, but there have been some breakages and such (although most breaks have still been mailed to sender even when the box was soaked. ill post a picture of a good one soon) i think ive had 4 or 5 breaks and 3 returns.

the benefit is the flat rate and 3 day shipping to all 50 states

the bad part which is a huge compromise is the limited amount of space even in the largest box. sometimes it pays just to move to a bigger box and ship fedex.
  21. tewaris

tewaris Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

While I am nowhere close to the 200 mark, did you mean 4/5 breaks and 3 returns on top of that (i.e. 7 or 8 incidents total)? That seems rather high based on the feedback I have received from traders more active than me who go with other carriers (Fedex/UPS).
  22. Steimie

Steimie Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

Isn't it correct that USPS uses Fed Ex to handle express packages?
  23. KevSal

Beer Trader

yea looking through my records its about 4 or 5 incidents total. the return boxes however still had valid postage.
    tewaris likes this.
  24. cbeer88

cbeer88 Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Yeah that seems like reason alone to switch to me. I've done probably around 75 boxes in each direction (sending and receiving, so 150 total), 95% of which are Fedex, and I've had a grand total of one incident (bottles breaking on their way to me).
  25. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Jul 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Wanna break federal law? Ship USPS.

Wanna break company policies? Ship UPS or FedEX.

Just a matter of which one you feel like breaking.

Personally I wouldn't fuck with any federal law or trying to break it. I don't want to risk even the slightest chance of being sent to a federal pound me in the ass prison. [​IMG]
  26. ales4baldo

ales4baldo Jul 8, 2011 California

Why so ain't USPS??? Homie, do you wanna become someone's bitch in federal prison?

Ya, I didn't think so.

I'd take the slap on the hand by FedEx or UPS instead anyday son.
  27. HenrikO

HenrikO Jun 19, 2011 Sweden

Is it also a federal crime to ship alcohol OUT of the US?
    In Europe, the legalities of course vary from country to country but in many cases it is perfectly legal to ship alcohol for personal consumption (i.e. not truckloads of it) across borders (though some postal systems may have policies against it as they would with anything that could break and potentially harm their employees). When I have things shipped from Etre (Belgium) or bierkompass.de (Germany) to the UK and Sweden, that's legal - as far as I know you're not even evading customs charges if it is for personal consumption.
  28. mulder1010

mulder1010 Aug 29, 2008 Australia

That is a different ball of wax. USPS does not care if it is leaving the country. Much like not having to go through immigration at LAX to leave the US when flying abroad.

Have to agree with Forgetfu on the tracking part. Just abysmal. Then again I have had worse tracking with Australia Post, Norway and Netherlands post.
  29. KevSal

Beer Trader

heres a trade that went south, and instead of turning me in to the police they contined to wrap up my box and ship it to its destination. half the items made it surprisingly. happened 01/2011

the way it was on the front door

the way fedex wrapped the soaking box up

the contents... it doesnt look like it but some bottles actually made it.

if i didnt get in trouble for this i dunno what id have to do to get in trouble. this is the reason i no longer over pack
  30. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Nov 8, 2012 Missouri
    Subscriber Beer Trader

C'mon! If anyone would respect the beer, it's gotta be Cliff!
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!